Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC ext bell not sounding

• 15-07-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

HI
    I have a HKC alarm fitted for about 10 years now, lately I have noticed that the external bell does not sound either during a bell test or if triggered by walking around while the alarm is set.
    It does, however, sound intermittently (very intermittently) even if the alarm is not set and gives an ext bell tamper fault.

Last night and this morning the alarm has gone off and the ext bell sounded. The alarm was not set at the time. When I tried to set it I got a fault saying Ext Bell tamper.
    I took the cover of the panel and noticed that the blue wire which goes from the Ctrl panel Ext Bell neg. to the SABB Ex Bel neg was disconnected at the panel end.
    I reconnected it and can now set the alarm, however the bell does not sound when tested or triggered.

Is this a config issue, as the bell clearly works, or might there be a fault with the SABB. I cannot get to the SABB right now, will need to hire a ladder, so if I can test things first to rule it out that would be useful.

Any help will be much appreciated.
    DJ
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If it's showing bell tamper the bell itself may be faulty or not getting permanent power.
    Check all the connections at both ends and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 djmc117

Hi KoolKid,
    Thanks for the reply.
    It is only showing tamper when it goes off without being set (intermittently)

I can set it normally but the bell does not sound when triggered.

I will get a ladder and take a look at the SABB.

DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 6 djmc117

OK,
    Had a look at SABB, the bell sounded as soon as I removed the cover, so I guess both bell and tamper switch work OK.
    All wires seem OK, none loose nor corroded.

If bell is powered and physically OK, could my problem be in the configuration of the system?
    When the alarm is triggered, the internal bell sounds and the LEDs on the SABB flash but the SABB bell does not sound.
    Is there a config setting which prevents the ext bell from sounding?
    With a bell test (0#9) the ext bell does not sound but LEDs flash.

Thanks
    DJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Take a note of the wiring and then go to the control panel and make a note of the ext bell wiring there. Maybe post up here and I'm sure the experts will confirm if you have a wiring config issue.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That was to be my next suggestion.
    Seems like the BHO and bell - may be mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Probably for the best. Nobody takes a blind bit of notice of them.

Advertisement