Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options after qualifying

Options
  • 15-07-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there I am just finished college and beginning work with a big 4 firm this October and will be undertaking both the accounting and tax exams over the next 3.5 years I just have a few questions for those who are qualified and have had experience in the field.

:I have a massive interest in working abroad and know being a qualified accountant would open up that avenue I would love to work the US or Australia and know the Irish qualifications are accepted over there.
    :Having both the audit and tax qualifications what career paths could I follow could I say possibly get the chance to move into financial services and investing?
    :What would be the best process in looking for a accountant's job abroad hold out for secondment in the big 4 or to pursue a new job in industry or practice over there?
    :I know when you qualify your pay shoots up to 40k plus what would be reasonable to expect say in New York, Boston or San Francisco?
    :Would the employer look after visa issues and so on?
    :Would I be best served pursuing a career abroad in the long term or stay here in Ireland and continue in the big 4 or move into industry?

Thanks for reading I'd appreciate any help at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Big 4 is a good start, but if you want to get anywhere in investment banking or private equity then you are on the slowcoach to nowhere in Ireland.

You need to go to London immediately and not after your contract.

Additionally, you need to have a REMARKABLE and I mean f*cking REMARKABLE academic and personal record to get in with these boys, they don't have time for any excuses or stories, no matter how legitimate. Very quickly show that you can network well within London, get out there and do it, because if they are aware you are in the profession 3 or so years and have not networked well, you're out, scratch you off as no natural aptitude.

Consider the CFA's and talk to Andrew Lynch in Mason Alexander who knows Pierce Casey. He's a helpful chap and he'll give you the lowdown better than I will.

Advertisement