Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long from sale agreed to keys?

Options
  • 15-07-2016 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Please advise of duration it took from sale agreed to getting the keys:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

Took us 6 weeks which we were very happy with. I've heard stories of it taking a lot longer tough!
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TENHNY

Took us 6 weeks which we were very happy with. I've heard stories of it taking a lot longer tough!
    Best of luck!

Wow maverick that good going, so you obviously had no hicups

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Are the vendors in a chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

How long is a piece of string, OP?

When I bought last year we were advised three months is standard. It ended up being four months due to a delay in getting proof of planning permission. I'd say three months is a decent guideline figure, but bear in mind if there are any problems with the title, documents missing, planning issues, boundary issues or anything like that, that could delay things by weeks or months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We went sale agreed April 7th and will be getting the keys on July 28th so roughly 4 months for us.

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Are the vendors in a chain?

Not sure what this means ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

TENHNY wrote: »
    Not sure what this means ?

Are the vendors waiting for the sale of another house to go through so they can move.

Went sale agreed on 6th April. Got the keys 10th June.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Are the vendors waiting for the sale of another house to go through so they can move.

No its a holiday home for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

No its a holiday home for them

Well then they aren't in a chain. Usually things go a lot quicker when the vendors aren't in a chain and the house in unoccupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

Our seller was ready to move and so were we so everything closed quickly. I couldn't handle the stress if it went on for months but thats just me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Please advise of duration it took from sale agreed to getting the keys:p

8.5 months, boundary wall issue

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sale agreed end of April (2015), moved in on 2nd July. So the guts of 9/10 weeks. And that was with us going 100km/h, we were pushing for mid-June but the vendor wanted to go on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Seven months, no particular issue but I suspected a case of last-minute cold feet on the part of the vendor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

We had a bit of a rollercoaster

Feb 2014 Sale Agreed

Paid deposit and kept pressure on but no budging for a couple of months with "Vendor still looking" bull.

Around June, got a call to say vendor could get €30k more if they went back to market, but we were being given first refusal to pay and extra €25k and they'd get the ball rolling. Told them to F**k off, wanted my deposit back that day and I'd be at their office within an hour to pick up a cheque.

Got a call back within the hour telling me vendor had miraculously found a house and gone sale agreed and we were back on.

Lots more crap for a few months, until September. Just hopped in the car on a Friday morning to head away for the weekend for our anniversary, got a call to say vendor wants to close on Tuesday. Spent the day onto solicitors, insurance co, bank, etc.

Had a nice weekend away, Tuesday rolls around and we've everything ready, turns out vendor still had a load of stuff they hadnt moved. Ended up with the keys on the Thursday, in early October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

4 months (but if you count the time from when I first went sale agreed on a property, its more like 3years....)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

6 months.
    My mortgage was refused after the property evaluation so had to find another mortgage lender. There was tenants in the place so they then had to be given notice, couldn't agree to exchange contracts until there was vacant possession.

It really depends how quick you want to move things and what things you can't control get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

6 months. Which wasn't that bad when you consider the chain we were in. Three houses & four couples & four solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Been involved in two sales in the last few years which were very different experiences. Both chain-free, but that were where the similarities began and ended.

Sale 1, apartment in 1990s-era block in Dublin: eight weeks. No issues whatsoever other than the vendor's solicitor being consistently slow in replying to documentation, but only to the tune of two or three days.

Sale 2, detached house from mid-50s down South: twenty-two months. Every imaginable problem-- it was an estate sale, their solicitor took maternity leave mid-way through the process, boundary wall issue, utility company issue, structural issue... The works.

It will really depend on the age and condition of the property, where it is (gross generalisation, but city vendors and city solicitors tend to expect and want things to move faster), what type of property it is (apartments are less likely to throw up huge hidden issues owing to there being no land involved), how motivated the seller is, and how willing both sides are to put pressure on their solicitors to push the sale to closing.

That said, every case is individual. You can have a modern city apartment in a development where there's no sinking fund or there has been a history of construction issues, and you can have an older house down the country with perfect title kept immaculately.

There's really no telling, unfortunately. It is possible to get a sale through, but be aware that it may take time and be a lot of stress and hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Sale agreed 23 Jan, keys received on 8th June. Vendor was in chain, I wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Sale agreedate mid Feb..moved in 29th September.

• Advertisement
Advertisement