Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building my first gaming pc HELP!!!

Options
  • 15-07-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm currently thinking of building my very first gaming pc from scratch. I would like it to run Gta 5, Call of duty black ops 3, far cry primal and farming simulator 17 on high to very high 1080p settings. Seen as this is my first build all your tips and advice are greatly appreciated. I would also like this rig to be very easily upgradable given my budget. Thanks!!
    1. What is your budget? €650 is my max

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming and a bit of surfing in the web

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? nope

5. Do you need a monitor? yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need? 24/27 inch

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard and mouse standard will do don't need anything fancy

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No seen as its my first build and I wouldn't have any knowledge on over clocking

8. How can you pay? credit card/PayPal

9. When are you purchasing? Next 2 weeks.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Leave the elf out of this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pcgamer7

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Leave the elf out of this ;)

Just saw that now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭zxxtonyxxz

Pcgamer7 wrote: »
    I'm currently thinking of building my very first gaming pc from scratch. I would like it to run Gta 5, Call of duty black ops 3, far cry primal and farming simulator 17 on high to very high 1080p settings. Seen as this is my first build all your tips and advice are greatly appreciated. I would also like this rig to be very easily upgradable given my budget. Thanks!!
    1. What is your budget? €650 is my max

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming and a bit of surfing in the web

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? nope

5. Do you need a monitor? yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need? 24/27 inch

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard and mouse standard will do don't need anything fancy

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No seen as its my first build and I wouldn't have any knowledge on over clocking

8. How can you pay? credit card/PayPal

9. When are you purchasing? Next 2 weeks.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Limerick

I'm not sure about the parts to use but the best website to buy the parts from once someone recommends them would be hardwareversand.de its a German website that sells PC parts and they ship to Ireland for cheap once your buying all the parts in one bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

zxxtonyxxz wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the parts to use but the best website to buy the parts from once someone recommends them would be hardwareversand.de its a German website that sells PC parts and they ship to Ireland for cheap once your buying all the parts in one bulk.

hardwareversand is supposedly turned to crap, lads these days are recommending mindfactory.de, I like to use overclockers myself, ordered a whole system tuesday got it this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Hardwareversand forced a load of people to use Bank Transfer, then folded a few days later. Because people had used Bank Transfer they had no comeback and hwvs used customers money to pay debts. Scumbags.

i5 6400 €170
    B150 board €60
    8gb DDR4 €40
    500w PSU €60
    1tb HDD €40
    250gb SSD €70
    Case €50
    R9 470/GTX950 or a second hand 960 or R9 290. Lot of options at that price range. €160
    Total €650. Should play everything you want at those settingd

• Advertisement

Hardwareversand forced a load of people to use Bank Transfer, then folded a few days later. Because people had used Bank Transfer they had no comeback and hwvs used customers money to pay debts. Scumbags.

i5 6400 €170
    B150 board €60
    8gb DDR4 €40
    500w PSU €60
    1tb HDD €40
    250gb SSD €70
    Case €50
    R9 470/GTX950 or a second hand 960 or R9 290. Lot of options at that price range. €160

fcuk me, i remember back 5 years ago they where the go to guys :eek: durty stuff

i5 6400 €170
    B150 board €60
    8gb DDR4 €40
    500w PSU €60
    1tb HDD €40
    250gb SSD €70
    Case €50

Thanks would you recommend what site I should look for these parts on?

Mindfactory or amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (€62.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€86.80 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€39.84 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€59.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card (€184.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€50.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: be quiet! PURE POWER 9 400W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€58.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Monitor: BenQ GW2455H 23.6" 60Hz Monitor (€111.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €655.25
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-15 18:13 CEST+0200

Install Windows 10 & don't activate, will do you grand until you can afford a license.

Pentium G4400 is perfectly fine in most games, it's a bottleneck but you can upgrade it in the future.
    *edit*
    http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-pentium-g4400-processor-review-skylake_179724/9

Didn't cop you needed a monitor.

Pentiums aren't a good idea for AAA games, minimum frame rates are a head wrecker.

Go for an i3 6100. Is stretching the budget €50 an options?

• Advertisement

Pentiums aren't a good idea for AAA games, minimum frame rates are a head wrecker.

Yes if monitor is included in the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would at least go with an i3-6100, the G4400 will choke terribly on GTA V and Far Cry Primal, Black Ops 3 probably be OK and Farming Simulator fine.

I have to say I'm sick of reviews of processors like the G4400 going purely by 'average' framerates and not minimum and maxiumum frames as well. Proclaiming the G4400 to be 'just as good as the 6600K' in largely GPU-bound titles whilst ignoring minimum frames amounts to bare faced lies and you have to question the motive of these websites.

A PC with an average framerate of 60fps, with drops to 20fps, is nowhere near on par with a PC that maintains 60fps and drops to 50. Yet some of these highly suspicious reviews fail to mention this outright, despite other more in-depth reviews not only doing so, but labelling the CPU as unsuitable for AAA gaming.

Anyone who owned a G3258K (particularly GTA V issues came up a lot on this forum) will tell you that Pentiums are wholly unsuitable for the latest games due to the crippling minimum framerates.

http://www.hardwareunboxed.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1574

Ironically enough, this guy tested a G4400 / R9 380 setup - as you can see, minimum frame rates ended up pretty good.

Although I agree on stretching to i3-6xxx if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some of those results are a little questionable I feel. Battlefield 4 has to be single player rather than multiplayer, min of 55fps online isn't possible on a G4400.

Fallout 4 - 'Boston' is a better representation and we all know running at 30-40fps in FO4 feels pretty crappy, but not sure how he can get minimum frames in the mid-30's as other review I've seen all have 0.1% lows of about 18fps which I would fully believe as Fallout is a CPU pig. Maybe the benchmark runs weren't long enough, I don't know, but I'm not convinced that's a throughout benchmark with those results.

GTA V as well, not in that list but it does post OK avg and minimum frames but for example there are a host of other issues, including major texture pop-in which is extremely immersion breaking and that's also due to the CPU.

Some excellent results there for stuff like Rainbow Six, but the G4400 and G3258K before it were always about being a mixed bag rather than being unsuitable across the board.

Also worth remembering for many games - Black Ops 3, Far Cry 4 are two that come to mind - will not actually boot on a G4400 based system without using an injector due to the lack of HT.

I think all in all for a build intending on playing the latest AAA titles you might as well stump up the extra €60 for an i3, it'll pay off three times over.

Also interesting to note how terribly the 380 works with low end processors, this is something I first noticed personally when using a G3258K with a 280X - the framerate in games like Battlefield 4 was cut in half almost using and AMD card. I couldn't figure out at first what was going on.

I know the 860K was bad and worthless for gaming but I never realised just how bad until looking at those figures. Crazy how a quad core, quad thread CPU can be half the speed of a dual core, zero thread CPU at the same clocks - even in games like Fallout 4 where it actually does use threads and cores.

Pcgamer7 wrote: »
    Yes if monitor is included in the price

Where do you recommend I could get window 10 fairly cheap?

il recommend the likes of g2play but i know some people tend not to like key resellers, thats a moral dilemma for you to decide

il recommend the likes of g2play but i know some people tend not to like key resellers, thats a moral dilemma for you to decide

Because key resellers are not reselling a legitimate product.

Don't pay the pirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭zxxtonyxxz

hardwareversand is supposedly turned to crap, lads these days are recommending mindfactory.de, I like to use overclockers myself, ordered a whole system tuesday got it this morning

Oh I didn't realise I've been away for a while Thanks for that info!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Because key resellers are not reselling a legitimate product.

Don't pay the pirates.

This argument has been done to death in multiple threads, let's not turn this into it, I've used the more reputle key sellers for years and have never had a problem, you disagree on the basis that you believe its piracy and I don't believe it is.

Op full retail windows 10 seems to be around £70 on overclockers

This argument has been done to death in multiple threads, let's not turn this into it, I've used the more reputle key sellers for years and have never had a problem, you disagree on the basis that you believe its piracy and I don't believe it is.

Op full retail windows 10 seems to be around £70 on overclockers

The only thing I'm worried about is when I give all the parts to my local computer shop to build this rig is that I want them to install Windows for me too because I wouldn't have a clue how to. So would I have to buy legit with the cd to give it to them to install?

• Advertisement

you could ask them for a copy, maybe they can do you some sort of deal, tbf its fairly straight forward to install it if you have dvd drive

you could ask them for a copy, maybe they can do you some sort of deal, tbf its fairly straight forward to install it if you have dvd drive

Ok thanks for the tips

Tell them you already have a product code and just ask to install windows, you can register later

Advertisement