Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum for gifted people?

Options
  • 15-07-2016 4:36pm

Right I probably seem a smug b*stard asking this but is there anywhere on boards.ie for people with very high IQs? Apparently I'm considered gifted (even though I don't consider myself so which is I hope is Imposter Syndrome).

There are very few Irish sites geared towards gifted and very bright people. Usually they get overtaken with topics about educating gifted children.

Basically a Mensa-like sub forum but not Mensa-like in that it might be somewhat useful?

Just putting this out there and remember that as a gifted person I'm highly sensitive so please be nice! :-) :p
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

There is a secret forum for "gifted" people but it's a secret. Instead of a moderator, the caretaker of the forum is referred to as the "head bee guy."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yes.

If you have to ask, it bars you from entry unfortunately.

:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You mean you weren't invited?

Oh.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Will these great minds be discussing the building of a shadow puppet theatre?

Will it be Balinese or Thai?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What exactly would be discussed that's not accommodated by another forum?

The reason most online "gifted" communities turn into advice columns for parents of gifted children is because being intelligent is not really a topic in and of itself. "It's so hard being surrounded by idiots, amirite guys?". And that's it, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Can you use smaller words, I don't understand :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

seamus wrote:
    The reason most online "gifted" communities turn into advice columns for parents of gifted children is because being intelligent is not really a topic in and of itself. "It's so hard being surrounded by idiots, amirite guys?". And that's it, really.

You are now banned from the gifted forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

seamus wrote: »
    What exactly would be discussed that's not accommodated by another forum?

No, wait, you got me.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You have to fill out the 3 application forms

One in Mandarin

One in Latin

One in ancient Aztec

Give me a call on my mobile when you have these done.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Who decides what the cut off is for "non-gifted" people? Would you have to have proof of an IQ test or Mensa membership to be allowed post there? What would happen if a "stupid" person posted there? Would people with smaller craniums be excluded on the grounds that they don't have enough brains for the forum? I know certain forums may appear to be low brow, but in general you should be able to find a high level of intelligent discourse on just about any topic in the existing forums. I fail to see what there would be to be gained from creating a separate one for people of above average intelligence tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Zaph wrote:
    Who decides what the cut off is for "non-gifted" people? Would you have to have proof of an IQ test or Mensa membership to be allowed post there? What would happen if a "stupid" person posted there? Would people with smaller craniums be excluded on the grounds that they don't have enough brains for the forum? I know certain forums may appear to be low brow, but in general you should be able to find a high level of intelligent discourse on just about any topic in the existing forums. I fail to see what there would be to be gained from creating a separate one for people of above average intelligence tbh.

Finally! An intelligent post.

You are allowed in the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I second this!! I like receiving gifts!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Computer says no

Did someone mention presents?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

We could call it The Dougal Forum '.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I thought we already had a forum for gifted people?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Shield wrote: »
    I thought we already had a forum for gifted people?

You're talking about AHOW

That's for us "special" uns :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sorry OP, but I'm here furrowing my brow, in a vain attempt to understand the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Why not just post in the different forums and the other geniuses will find you. Then you can just pm eachother different genius museings ye have about stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

The correct place to request forums is here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

Please read up on the requirements before starting a thread, I know they can be tough to follow but th should be a snap for you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement