Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on starting an electrical business

Options
  • 15-07-2016 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am just in the process of getting started out on my own as a registered electrical contractor. Have the insurance and registration sorted. Now all I need to do is get the work!
    Most work that I have done to date (as nixers) has been through word of mouth but imo this wouldn't be enough to sustain a full time business.
    So my plan is to go looking for work in Dublin as I know there's loads of work and good rates around the capital. I'm living in Kilkenny so with the motorway it's easy to travel up and down every day to get me off to a good start.

So basically the advice I'm looking for is :

How do dubs go about finding an electrician??
    What's the best (and cheapest) ways of advertising to get work around the city?
    Or should I go down the road of contacting builders?

Basically I wouldn't be looking for call out work, just new builds, re wires, refurbishments, fuse boards upgrades, etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

A mate of mine was sparking for the last 10 years self employed. He took a job at an electrical suppliers shop last winter n is happy out. Does a few nixers evening n Saturday's.
    I was shocked as he is a top notch sparks but he couldn't get paid out of builders and had enough. So my tuppence is don't go chasing builders for work.
    A good website imo everyone is researching online nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

enricoh wrote: »
    A good website imo everyone is researching online nowadays

Folks who have to research for tradespeople on-line fall into two categories: Blow-ins who don't know anyone to recommend someone (so you'll get work from them, but not onward referrals), and people who cannot get established tradespeople to work for them due to their client reputation - AKA people who don't pay, or who are a pain in the arse to work for. So it's worth having a basic web-presence (site and Facebook page) - but don't go to town on it, and don't expect it to sustain your business.

OP - network a lot. Use any opportunity you can to (tastefully) tell people (friends, neighbours, sports club mates - whoever you know) that you're in business. Ask your friends who are working in other trades to recommend you to people. Join local small business groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

One piece of advice ... Don't answer the phone with "Wellll".

I've nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Johnd2016

Very good advice. I agree totally on the online side of things. It would prob bring in some call out work and calls from people looking for work priced who already have a tradesman in mind (just looking for a second or third quote).

It's just the whole issue of getting work through word of mouth. Like I understand that word travels fast but I'm not sure if it would travel fast enough to keep me working 40 hours a week for the foreseeable future!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

With a Website, advertising on Facebook, may also be useful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement