Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloth nappies

Options
  • 15-07-2016 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi, looking for a little advice/information from some seasoned mammies and daddies.
    Am considering using cloth nappies instead of disposables when my baby arrives in November.
    Does anyone have any advice as to whether it's a good idea or not and if yes, what sort of nappies make the best buy?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Have a look at the cloth nappy library Ireland website for info. They organise loans so you can see which type suits your needs. There are usually monthly meetups called nappucinos where you'll get info and demos. Details of these are in Facebook groups. Search for Irish cloth nappies and you should find a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dizzy bee

thanks bovril...will look them up

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Baby_Bear

Cloth nappy library loan is excellent. I'm using cloth on my second baby but didn't on my first and I totally regret not using cloth on number 1.
    As said above the FB groups are amazing and the people are so helpful and friendly.
    Go for it but be warned its addicting!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think they are great.

I'm at work, and originally the creche didn't support them, but they started last year. They are so much nicer than the terry things I remember as a child. Really cute colourful covers and very easy to use.

Some people go a little nuts on them and seem to amass 100's of cloth nappies, which kinda defeats the 'reduce' part of the waste cycle, but it's still better than landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

We used them with our first and will hopefully do so with the 2nd. they are a lot more work but only ever had nappy rash problems when we had to use disposables (traveling, etc).
    We had bum genius and they worked well, and another brand which we couldn't get to work and leaked regularly. Name slips my mind, possibly tots bots. Others loved them, so try to get a loan of a few.
    Shop around for sales, especially on the internet as they can be expensive in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I have a 3 day old baby. And a shelf full of reusable nappy paraphernalia. I haven't got my head around it yet, but plan on doing away with the disposables in about a weeks time, and moving over to the cloths.

Friends have told me they had spent what I invested in the stock, which should last until he is out of nappies, by the time their babies were 3 months old. So I reckon that saving in itself is worth trying them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We had two in cloth-15 month gap! It is work but manageable and the savings in terms of cost and the environment are worth it. I would advise joining the cloth nappy Ireland Facebook page as there are always people selling and swapping and you can start off very cheaply. We used cloth wipes too-not only better for the environment but 100% better than the slippery water wipes, especially on poo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I didn't use cloth with my first but do part time with my second. I didn't find the newborn loan great personally. My 8lb was constantly springing leaks in them some of that was down to user error I'm sure. Didn't put me off though. I have a smallish stash and my 1 year old is in cloth about 60% of the time. There'll be 16 months between no.2 and 3 and hope to use cloth more with both.

Advertisement