Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbours - how do I contact the landlord?

Options
  • 15-07-2016 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,

I own a semi detached house in the Dublin 15 area.
    The house next door was bought by a taxi driver who for the last eleven years has denied he is the owner.

The house is rented out to a family from <Snip> since he bought the house.
    They have always been very loud but over the last few months it has got ridiculous.
    The kids are constantly fighting, screaming, kicking a ball against our dividing wooden fences or playing

basket ball inside, the mam is incredibily loud and never seems to be finished giving out and recently the dad

who until now was really quiet seems to be getting in on the whole shouting for no apparent reason....

I have tried talking to them about the noise but with the language barrier and old habbits, they just don't

seem to be getting the message.

Have you any suggestions for how best to deal with this?
    Does anyone know how I can track down the land lord so I can have a chat with him?
    Does anyone know who I should be complaining to try get this resolved or the family removed?

The management company are not interested.
    The guards say it is a civil matter.
    Fingal co co say the house has nothing to do with them.
    The house does not appear to be listed on the PRTB website list of properties....

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Land registry. .BoL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PRTB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

3rd party complaint to the RTB (no longer prtb) is your best bet. Having said that, you will need to have a diary of issues and if there is a management company then hopefully you've reported all incidents to them so they've a log to back up your reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Finding proof of who the owner is won't make any difference to your situation. Even if the taxi-driver doesn't own it but is managing it on behalf of someone else, they're still likely to refer you back to the taxi driver.

...The kids are constantly fighting, screaming, kicking a ball against our dividing wooden fences or playing basket ball inside,

<snip> families tend to be louder in their day-to-day living than Irish families do. Maybe not all of them - but certainly all the ones I know. But it's hardly what you'd call anti-social behaviour, on the scale of things.

And what do you mean by constantly?

Is it every day (reasonably noise of daily living - kids are going to play). Or is it all hours of the day and night (11pm, 1am, 5am etc).

If it really is all hours of the night, or if the smearing is kids in terror rather than just kids having fun, then you could try a child-welfare complaint as well as the complaint to the landlord and RTB if that gets you nowhere.

But somehow I suspect you'll simply have to learn to put up with it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

As others have said keep a log of instances, if at unsocial hours (eg music belting ring the guards). Contact RTB, ask tenants for landlord details. Does the taxi driver arrive to collect rent or check house? If so doorstep him. If you believe in RA maybe complaining to local welfare officer? Not sure if they'd help with data protection etc. If they weren't there so long I'd say search daft etc for ad for house. We'd troublesome neighbours before, landlord complete cowboy, after that we always made sure we knew letting agent so we could contact them if needs be. Are the kids in school? Could they translate for the parents if old enough they should have great English by now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Been down this road and unfortunately there's usually only one solution: move. I know that doesn't suit you as you own the house but nightmare neighbours in my experience tend to rarely change their behaviour and there's little that can legally be done to force them to, which is one of the few advantages to renting, you can get away from them easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

We had a family of <snip> beside us and like that we very antisocial, some of it was just culture clash and some of it was just plain disregard for neighbor's. We tried every thing to get them out, rang the landlord constantly, rang the guards when we had to but it done no good. Only thing that got them out was when they stopped paying the rent and the landlord evicted them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note The origin of the tenants is irrelevant, the issue at hand is that the OP needs to contact the landlord or attempt to have action taken against the landlord. They are noisy tenants, where they come from is not the problem.

Advertisement