Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow & Gate Anti Reflux formula

Options
  • 15-07-2016 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there, looking for some advice.
    My newborn is 6 weeks old, and in the beginning we started on the c&g first infant milk and then for the last 2 weeks she has been on the c&g comfort formula as she was very unsettled. She has a habit of bringing up 1/4 of her bottle during feeds and has recently been screaming crying during feed and after.

I used to create 3 bottles making them up and storing them in the fridge until needed when then I warmed up for the feed.

I want to switch to the C&G anti reflux formula but was unsure if it can be stored in the fridge for later use after its been made up as directed on box?

Any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Have you spoken to your GP or PHN about switching formula again? It's not good for babies tummy's to change formula so often and if the baby has reflux you may need medication instead of changing formula again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

You need to go to your GP and get proper medical advice. Formula should be made up as required, not in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

AR formula unfortunately has to be made up as needed because it thickens in the water. No quick route about it tbh.

Tinkerbell the notion that all formula has to be made as needed is gone now. Ordinary formula can be batch prepared (after adding to water freshly boiled and cooled for 30 mins) as long as it is then cooled immediately and stored in the coolest part of the fridge and used within 24hrs.

You cannot however add formula to cooled boiled water, as I have heard people doing. This is where babies can get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

January wrote: »
    Have you spoken to your GP or PHN about switching formula again? It's not good for babies tummy's to change formula so often and if the baby has reflux you may need medication instead of changing formula again?

2 weeks is the guide time to see if a formula has worked or not.

Believe it or not for reflux you need to go through all avenues before meds are considered. Doctors are very reluctant to put babies on medication unless there is no other option.

Been there and it is tough OP but, as the cliché goes it will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

2 weeks is the guide time to see if a formula has worked or not.

Believe it or not for reflux you need to go through all avenues before meds are considered. Doctors are very reluctant to put babies on medication unless there is no other option.

Been there and it is tough OP but, as the cliché goes it will pass.

I've been there too, my doctor was reluctant to give meds, but I have to say without the meds the AR formula didn't do much for my baby, we saw a big improvement when the doctor prescribed Zantac.

OP should consider bringing baby to doc for a check up anyway, doc may prescribe something or he may just say to try the formula. Either way, baby is seen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

I had my little one on this for a while - you can't make in advance as another poster has said due to the fact the formula is so thick when you make it up.

I will caution changing formulas so much though - I did it out of ignorance and paid the price, my baba was constipated on the anti reflux stuff, took a week or two to get her right again after changing back to normal formula. Have you tried changing the bottle teats to see if that helps? You can get tons of different ones, anti colic etc. Might be useful to try that before changing formula again?

Advertisement