Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IFSC job, where to rent and should I book before LC results out?

Options
  • 15-07-2016 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello, I am due to take up an accountancy job as a 24 year old graduate in October in Dublin. I am enquiring to know what areas are close to the IFSC that I can be looking for accommodation in??

Also would a person be better to get the place now and pay the rent due to demand getting bigger with colleges going back?

Thanks guys for any help or information be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Corkguy24 wrote: »
    Hello, I am due to take up an accountancy job as a 24 year old graduate in October in Dublin. I am enquiring to know what areas are close to the IFSC that I can be looking for accommodation in??

Also would a person be better to get the place now and pay the rent due to demand getting bigger with colleges going back?

Need more info. What's your salary going to be? What's important to you in an area? City center or local amenities etc??

I lived in Irishtown for a year and loved it. Great place and close to city center. You could walk to IFSC 20min. However, I assume you'll be on less than 28k and an apartment there would be out of the equation... hence need more info???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Corkguy24 wrote: »

The window is between now and the CAO offers coming out. Whatever chance there is now will diminish rapidly in a few weeks. You might be able to pre-book. For example, I know a girl leaving a box room at the end of August. It is on the Southside Dart line about 3 miles from the City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Anywhere on the Dart line, north or south, would be an option. Ditto Red Luas line.

Places in or very near the IFSC are likely to be expensive.

Look at Drumcondra (Dorset St end) and places within a similar radius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There are very few bad areas in Dublin. You're really going to need to come up to 'the big smoke' and have a look around at what your tolerance levels are to decide whether you're willing to live in a rather rough and ready city centre or whether you need to hide out in the 'burbs.

Other than that a map and DAFT should give you more of an idea. It's then worth asking about specific complexes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I worked in the IFSC for a couple of years.

First place I lived in was Alexandra place in East Wall. Lovely apartments, and rent in East Wall tends to be better value than in the IFSC as East Wall is known to be a rough area. (I didn't find it particularly rough, would absolutely live there again.) It's not somewhere you'd be safe walking alone at night, but then, where is!

Then I lived in The Gasworks, Grand Canal Dock. Overpriced but nice. Very safe area, however I have heard numerous stories of people having their bags snatched while walking over the bridge between the IFSC and the south quays, with the perpetrators usually running/cycling off in the direction of Sherriff Street.

Then I moved out to Castleknock area. Actually found this grand, the commute really isn't too bad at all. Anywhere along the Maynooth train line is worth considering, in my opinion.

If you wanted to live in the IFSC itself, the Castleforbes apartment (down near the Point) are very nice. I've viewed apartments in quite a few other places in the IFSC, and found them all very small and flimsily built.

By the way, you mentioned you'll be studying accountancy. Are you assigned to Audit, by any chance? If so, depending on what sort of clients you'll be working with, you could end up spending feck all time in the IFSC, or even in Dublin! I was sent to Shannon for several weeks on my very first day, complete waste of rent! So if there's a possibility of significant travel involved, maybe hold off and see if you could share with a friend for a couple of weeks until you know what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Oh and I wouldn't even consider getting a place now as you suggested - crazy waste of money!

Spend loooooads of time on Daft between now and then, but if I were you I wouldn't even start doing viewings until (at the most) a month before your start date. Will be plenty of time!

Is this your first time renting? And what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Don't be afraid to look a little further out. IFSC has the dart connection, plenty of bus routes, and for say Swords, has a brilliant private bus. Grew up in Swords and went to college in NCI. The Swords Express was a godsend. Got it there last year for the first time in years going in to a course in town and was still as brilliant as ever.

Obviously what you can afford will be a big thing. If its a great salary you will pick somewhere up for 1k you can manage yourself. Alternatively might need to look into a place with friends, or renting a room.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The IFSC is beside Connolly Train station and the Red Line Luas so you have loads of options on Dart/train and Luas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The IFSC is beside Connolly Train station and the Red Line Luas so you have loads of options on Dart/train and Luas line.

Be careful with the train and dart lines the add an extra expense and time to your daily commute. 25 to 30 quid a week plus your time is another 100 or more a month you could put towards renting in the city.

OP.
    Get a good old fashionedap map out and circle areas bed good dart lines etc.

And good luck

Advertisement