Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rottweilers tails

• 16-07-2016 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

any one any thoughts on the new law or whatever about not being able to remove the tails off pup rottys got a pup few weeks ago with tail but it seems to be mad chasing it and biting her legs to get to it was there a good reason to chop them in the first place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No, there are few good reasons to dock a dog's tail; they are essential in communication.

Your pup chasing her tail is just a puppy being a puppy. Redirect her energy to something she's allowed to chew if it's becoming a problem, otherwise it's just a baby discovering her body.

I love seeing rotties and boxers with full tails, they look so much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I hate seeing dogs with mutilated tails, they use their tails as kylith said for communication, balance etc. The only reason tails are docked on puppies is for cosmetic purposes, occasionally you may get an adult dog of any breed with a beyond repair injury to its tail which may need amputation, but it would be a last resort. I used to work at a UK vets and our vets were the only ones licensed to dock tails in the county, they only did it to stop idiots doing it themselves and botching it, it was horrid to watch as they just get a pair of scissors and cut the tail off - no anaesthetic is used or anything, can you imagine having the base of your spine cut off, would be like chopping off a baby's finger!! - the vets hated doing it!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Some breeds such as working Springers tend to damage their tails hence some are still docked. They have to prove it is a working dog. Not everything is black & white!

I have seen many dogs docked, they are done at a few days old. I have also seen tails banded. They don't seem to notice this. With a scissors, they let out a squeak & then it is back to business.

My own dog is not docked & I love his tail. Luckily enough they don't injure their tails too easily, although I do know of some that were injured working & had to be docked as an adult dog & this is much harder on them. Personally I prefer dogs as nature intended!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭EIREAROEIRE

i agree working dogs need it just thought there was another reason for rotty,s but if u check there history rotty,s are working dogs too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

i agree working dogs need it just thought there was another reason for rotty,s but if u check there history rotty,s are working dogs too

It depends what work the dog does. Huskies and malamutes are also working dogs, and have never had their tails docked.

The working dogs that get docked are those that go into cover, or underground. Rotties were droving dogs, no need at all for their tails to be docked for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I mean dogs that are actually still used for working nowadays rather then those that have a history of working.

I am not sure why terriers going underground were docked when Borders were never docked although a short tail is called for in the standard. Tails are handy to grab onto when they head off into a burrow!

Advertisement