Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game hunting/ Target shooting club

• 16-07-2016 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I'm applying for my firearm licence soon to get my first .22LR rifle. Everything in my application is in order and I have both a gun competency course done and written permission from a farmer to shoot on his lands.

However I have no idea how easily the gaurds grant you a license so I want to join some sort of a club to make absolutely sure to get the licence, be it a game hunting or target shooting club.

The best place I found where you can shoot rifles was M.N.S.C.I in Tullamore but as a student I'm not in position to pay the King's ransom they are asking for. As for Lakeland Shooting in Mullingar, I think they are only into clay pigeon shooting.

Literally ANY sort of club or group or individual that i can say i'm shooting with would help. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

You have the basic prerequisites that you need for your application, as long as you satisfy the other conditions on the application form you should be ok. No amount of justification or membership etc is going to speed up you application beyond the time frame normally taken by you District HQ to process legitimate applications.

All the ranges will impose a hefty sign up fee but the subsequent years membership are usually less painful.

Gun clubs, AFAIK, tend to lean towards members owning at least a shotgun (open to correction here ) as the main target species are feathered game with the addition of vermin control. These clubs tend to have their AGMs just after the first quarter of the year and it is at this time they'll review membership lists and applications, again may not be so for all. Membership will require an annual fee which may or not include insurance which would be mandatory for the norm of most clubs.

Put your application in based on what you have, many shooters are not affiliated with any clubs or ranges and hold various firearms for different disciplines of hunting based on private land permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 FaceTube

Thanks very much for the rapid and detailed response.

I think i'll take your advice and submit my application as it stands as I do have many suitable places where I have permission to shoot. I might mention to the superintendent that I have every intention to join a club when I find it financially feasible.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

FaceTube wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the rapid and detailed response.

I think i'll take your advice and submit my application as it stands as I do have many suitable places where I have permission to shoot. I might mention to the superintendent that I have every intention to join a club when I find it financially feasible.

Thanks again.

As you already have some permissions get a letter from the land/shooting rights owner and submit the letter with your application. The more land you can show you have permission to shoot over the better. And keep it all simple no need to say you 'intend' to join anything else.

With letters of permission you will now have your 'Reason' for requiring the firearm you are wanting to get.

aim small :):)

Thanks for the advice Clive.

Right lads,

Currently I have;

- A firearm competency certificate.
    - Written permission from a farmer to use his lands (I could get another if needed).
    - Hunting Insurance with the Irish Countryside Alliance.
    - A Gunsafe.
    - A note from my firearm dealer.
    - A Fully completed FCA1 form.
    - A valid reason for needing this particular firearm.
    - No criminal record.

I'm heading down to the cop shop tomorrow. Would I be right in saying that there is no reason why they should reject my application, and if they did it would be unfair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Right lads,

Currently I have;

- Written permission from a farmer to use his lands (I could get another if needed).
    - A Gunsafe.
    - No criminal record.

I'm heading down to the cop shop tomorrow. Would I be right in saying that there is no reason why they should reject my application, and if they did it would be unfair?

Get the second permission before you apply, the more the better if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Right lads,

Currently I have;

- A Gunsafe.
    - No criminal record.

How big (acreage) is the first permission? Irrespective of the size, I would get another if you can as that is the strongest support for your application in the absecnce of a club.

Also, put down a decent ammo limit request and support this with a letter outlining the reasons why you need it, otherwise you get the default of100 and have to go through this process anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

A high ammo limit is hard to justify unless you're a member of a range imo.

Advertisement