Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick leave / Maternity leave

Options
  • 16-07-2016 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

If you are unable to work up to your maternity leave and need to be signed off a week or two earlier, can your doc not sign you off in advance?

My doc has no problem signing me off for the 2 weeks before my leave starts due to various factors that make it very difficult to stay working up to the date - but not until the date - it means I will have to ring in sick and therefore give no notice and not get to say goodbye.

I don't know what to do. I am only taking the 6 months so don't want to start it early but ringing in sick with no notice doesn't sit well with me. Thanks for any advice as head is melted thinking about it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sickness isn't planned. He can only sign you off when you are sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Could you perhaps inform your work that your doctor has advised you only work up until (for example 36 weeks if that's what it is or whatever) due to such and such a problem and that he will be signing you off at that stage. That way you have given notice and it is also what really has been advised by doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

If you are incapable of working at a certain stage of your pregnancy that's usually classed as disability rather than sickness. Some companies do some provisions in case of disability for their employees. If the doctor is simply fibbing on your behalf that you won't be able to work, then that's another story and he might not be able to give a sick note weeks in advance of someone actually being "sick" or he could be prosecuted, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cleanslate

Thanks, it's not fibbing, normal pregnancy issues such as fluid retention, sciatica and bouts of diarrhoea which are all getting harder to cope with as the pregnancy goes on and my commute is making worse, I wouldn't class any of them as disabling except if the sciatica gets worse as I have been out sick for that before being unable to walk.
    My job will not be surprised if I finish up early as it has been said to me before and I have handed projects over early in case it happens, but I just thought I could go in to them with a date rather than having to ring in sick as I don't feel it's a nice way to finish up but I have spoken to a lot of people since posting and apparently that's the way it happens if you are signed off early unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Do you have any holidays left? I'm taking two weeks hols before my mandatory two weeks mat leave because I know that I won't be able to be on my feet all day at 8 months pregnant.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine experienced HR would've dealt with similar issues before. If you didn't want to take your actual maternity leave 4 weeks early then best just to talk to them and explain the situation. Let them know that you'll have your GP prepare the note for you when you're ready to leave, although you won't be commencing maternity until just the 2 weeks before. I'm sure they'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

My sister in law had a miscarriage yesterday in Holles st. She's handling it as best as she can. She's bleeding a lot and still cramping and just extremely tired. The midwife who dealt with her yesterday told her that she would prob need a week off work to recover. She said that she could get a sick note. Anyway. She's due back to work on Wed. (She was taking a week off work from last wed to get her other kids ready for first week back at school poor thing)
    Anyway she's home but will be back in Holles st for scan tomorrow and is wondering if doctor can give her a sick note for rest of week or will she have to go to GP.
    Also she was less than 3 months so hadn't told her boss (who is the type of man who hates maternity leave!) so would Prefer not to say she had a miscarriage as reason...
    Anyone been in same situation before?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cleanslate

I am so sorry to hear about your SIL and hope she will be ok, my heart goes out to her. Not a huge help, but legally a Dr. does not have to say why you are off sick or give any reason other than you are not fit for work. I know it will be on Holles St headed paper, but the doc can just say that 'Mary' is not fit for work until x/Sep/2016 and nothing else. Maybe if she explains to them at the hosp though, the doc might have different paper with just her name on it? I wish her all the best at this sad time xx

Sorry to hear about your sister.

Is Holles St specifically a maternity hospital? Even so, it should be possible to ask them to write the note without saying the hospital name and just the doctor's name. However, they might stamp it, which might bear the name of the hospital.
    They definitely don't need to give a reason though for why you're off work.
    We'd a miscarriage and I took a week off work. I just called in sick, but I can't remember who I got sick note from, GP or hospital. It definitely only said that I was unable to attend work and that's it.

Advertisement