Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Frequency Noise Glasnevin / Finglas Area

Options
  • 16-07-2016 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Every night I hear a low frequency noise which changes pitch roughly every 2-3 seconds. Having real trouble getting back to sleep when i hear this. Living near Glasnevin avenue. Has anyone else experienced this? Looking online and apparently this noise is a global problem. Some are blaming overhead power lines, others are blaming EMF. It sounds like someone sitting in the drivers seat of a diesal car and putting their foot on the accelerator every 3 seconds.

I'm fairly sure It is not car a engine as the noises are consistently the same length. If i was to bet i think it is coming either from some machinery in the industrial space at the back of the north road maybe from the airport

Can anyone else hear this or am i going mad?

Also found this which could be contributing or indeed the source of the noise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

More information here

Either I have tinnitus or i am a crackpot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I live up close to Dunsink Lane and can't hear anything like that, well apart from one absolute dickhead who revs his motorbike. Every. Single. Night. At ten past ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm around Botanic Rd so a little bit away, but I've never noticed this.

I've also lived near to and worked in the airport, I don't think there's anything there making noises at night, certainly wasn't aware of anything at the time. No planes land or take off from Dublin during the night afaik.

Have you tried earplugs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I vaguely remember a thread on this before....(shuffles off to search...)

**edit
    Here we are. It was regarding Clontarf/Killester, though last report had it in Coolock. Maybe it has moved again?

Unexplained sound in Clontarf/Killester area, evenings and late at night

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The sound in that thread was more of a chime - the sort you'd hear in school before they make an announcement. I heard it a few times when I lived in Clontarf. Doesn't sound like what the OP is hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I live just of Glasnevin Avenue also and I work in the airport and I can tell you what you are likely hearing is the overall noise made by activity from the airport. When we are asleep at night the airport is wide awake and working away even if there are not per say many aircraft taking off or landing during the night aside from the odd scheduled small cargo aircraft which you might also hear.

At the airport you have pretty much the whole fleet of Ryanair and Aer Lingus aircraft parked overnight plus others. All being serviced, checked and maintained overnight as it is the period when the engineers have the most access to the aircraft. They will be doing systems tests, replacing wheels, and various other checks that require some of the more noisy aspects of an aircraft such as the Oxegyn packs and the auxilary power unit (APU) to be in operation. On the Ramp there will be aircraft being towed to and from remote parking stands, to and from hangers and all of the above and some checks on stand will require the use of the APU which is a small engine if the tail of the aircraft that provides electric, pneumatic, and hydraulic power. It makes quite a racket, as does the oxygen packs if they need to test those. When it is the dead of night it is not unusual to hear the activity generated from the airport in and around the Glasnevin Avenue Area. Lots of activity up there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I dunno about the airport... we live about 200m from the main runway and < 1km from the terminal building and I can only describe the noise in the area as "deathly quiet".

It's not like we're used to it either - only here about 3 months now and it was unnerving how quiet it was at first.

Perhaps we're just not sensitive to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's not road noise?

I don't live in Glasnevin but I live quite close to the n3 and at night I can hear the hum of traffic, even if the window is closed.

Advertisement