Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packable rain jacket recommendation?

Options
  • 16-07-2016 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I have lost my rain jacket and need another. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

How packable is packable? Fits in jersey pocket or smaller? I swear by my Altura Varium from a Bargain Alert on here a couple of years back, but I don't think they make it anymore. I just ordered one of these in a Wiggle sale so should have an opinion on that in a month's time if that helps! :) No doubt someone will recommend one of those Galibier jackets - keep an eye out for bundle deals on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

I bought an Agu secco "condom" on Planet X website a few months back. It packs real tight back into its own pocket and fits in my jersey or laptop bag handy. Totally waterproof but it's not breathable.. But overall it's exactly what I need, emergency back up that doesn't leak :)

Hence the name I guess
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLAGSECM/agu-secco-condom-mens-rainjacket

I got mine in their winter bundle with loads of other stuff, but it is only around €38 on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭dom_1000

It's more an emergency jacket I am looking for that will pack into its own bag or pocket and then into my jersey.

dom_1000 wrote: »
    It's more an emergency jacket I am looking for that will pack into its own bag or pocket and then into my jersey.

In that case I'm very happy with mine. Durable, light, waterproof.. They do a hi vis version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

R1_Pete wrote: »
    I bought an Agu secco "condom" on Planet X website a few months back. It packs real tight back into its own pocket and fits in my jersey or laptop bag handy. Totally waterproof but it's not breathable.. But overall it's exactly what I need, emergency back up that doesn't leak :)

Hence the name I guess
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLAGSECM/agu-secco-condom-mens-rainjacket

I got mine in their winter bundle with loads of other stuff, but it is only around €38 on its own

What's the sizing like on this?

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What's the sizing like on this?

I'm 6ft, and a 38/39 chest. I would normally take a large in castelli or santini gear and I'm a medium in DHB brand. I bought a medium in this and is spot on. I would say it's close to DHB/UK sizing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Endura 'Pakajak' jackets are excellent. They are tiny, roll up to the size of your fist, really light and excellent quality. When you see rolled up you think it is going to be crap but it is a proper quality piece of clothing.

endura-pakajak-jacket.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

I have an altura pocket rocket. Packs down tight and reasonably breathable (much more so than cheapo one I had before it). Think it cost me about 90 a few years ago. Still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Endura 'Pakajak' jackets are excellent. They are tiny, roll up to the size of your fist, really light and excellent quality. When you see rolled up you think it is going to be crap but it is a proper quality piece of clothing.

endura-pakajak-jacket.jpg

How breathable is this and how " rain proof "

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Similar to the the OP I need to replace my rain jacket. was thinking of getting the Galibier Tourmalet jacket

Anyone any experience with it, reviews are good.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Endura Equipe Classics is down from 150 to 55 pounds at most places. Wiggle have all the sizes available. Spring / winter top more than just a rain cover though.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Similar to the the OP I need to replace my rain jacket. was thinking of getting the Galibier Tourmalet jacket

Anyone any experience with it, reviews are good.

HTH

Looking at the picture, I know it has a white stripe down the back, but in wet / misty conditions, with reduced visibility, I wouldn't be that happy to wear something so dark.
    I know folk will say it is up to the motorist to see you, and it is, but that's not much good if you're in A&E (or worse).
    I say this as somebody who has a Galibier Mistral foul weather jacket which I love - but for similar reasons as above, I only wear on group spins. For solo foul weather spins I wear an inferior, but more visible older Gore jacket that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Endura FS260 Pro Adrenaline race cape.<
    Have one and find it very good. Packs up very small and can be easily carried in one of your jersey pockets. Its not overly expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

terrydel wrote: »
    Endura FS260 Pro Adrenaline race cape.<
    Have one and find it very good. Packs up very small and can be easily carried in one of your jersey pockets. Its not overly expensive either.
    Vote for this, just bought my second one.

I have one slightly used XL that's too large for me if anyone is interested :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cycle-jackets-gilets/castelli-squadra-long-jackets.html

I'm 170cm tall and 15' neck in a work shirt. 31 inch waist.

Medium is fine, no need to "Castelli-size-up"

It's water repellant though, not waterproof, but in summer weather, it is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I'm 170cm tall and 15' neck in a work shirt. 31 inch waist.

Medium is fine, no need to "Castelli-size-up"

I'm a tiny bit bigger alround - 172 tall, 16' neck and 32 waist - Medium is still spot on - (edit) just checked mine in a large :o

Only worn it once so far - very happy, but not a huge basis to judge on.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Montane Featherlite smocks are decent raincoats that fold down to the size of an apple. Bit pricey, but they're definitely good for showers and very, very light.

I got the black, because I have decent bike lights and it's my rain coat for when I'm off the bike as well, but it comes in bright yellow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭dom_1000

Thanks guys,

went with the altura pocket rocket in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

just dragging this up again....winter/rain coming ....recommendations for rain jackets that are water PROOF (ideally not boil in the bag) , circa 20-50 euro ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

miller82 wrote: »
    just dragging this up again....winter/rain coming ....recommendations for rain jackets that are water PROOF (ideally not boil in the bag) , circa 20-50 euro ???

Endura FS260 Pro Adrenaline race cape... compare it's waterproof/breathability ratings against the other jackets and you'll realize how good it is for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

off to get one tomorrow. thanks

Advertisement