Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman lives 22 years rent free in city centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

MrMorooka wrote: »
    http://independent.ie/irish-news/courts/unemployed-mum-is-told-to-vacate-family-home-34888518.html

Utterly bizarre story. Her ex husband sounds like some mug. The headline is kind of misleading too - her kids are 30 and 23!

Not sure about mug, I think he let her and his 2 children stay there for the kids sake, to look after the and ensure they had a roof over their head until they had finished their studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He sounds like a good man who tried to do right and got no thanks for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I thought this was about Mary McAleese being 14 years in the Áras

That's very misleading title.

The father was surely responsible to provide for his children?
    Given that his youngest is just 23, it's likely that child has only finished education. So it's really only now he should be getting the house back now anyway.

She didn't live rent free, she brought up his children in his house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Not really much to discuss here.

Its a totally private matter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Surely we should not be commenting on a matter which is before the courts. I can only wish the man good luck and hope it turns out ok for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

bubblypop wrote: »
    That's very misleading title.

The father was surely responsible to provide for his children?
    Given that his youngest is just 23, it's likely that child has only finished education. So it's really only now he should be getting the house back now anyway.

She didn't live rent free, she brought up his children in his house

Seriously? Yes she did and there is no mention that he did not provide in other ways also so she's had a good run of it compared to other people in similar situations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Don't see anything so bizarre about it. She brought up his kids and we dont know what else he did or didn't give her. Sounds more like he provided them with a roof over their heads instead of cash child maintenance, but who knows. If they were married no one would think its bizzare. They were in a long term relationship before they split.
    I think the "rent free" sensationalist slant along with "unemployed"got to people.
    She's lost her home now anyway which Im sure will delight some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I would have thought she has a pretty strong case for adverse possession, notwithstanding the fact that irish judiciary tend to rule against this where possible.

As to some of the comments above, it seems that they may not have been married, therefore the partner with custody would have no rights back then (although the father still had an obligation to provide for his children), nowadays, i don't know the law on this, but my feeling is that she would have substantially more rights nowadays, and as such, it would not be abnormal for the wife/partner (who had custody of the children) to be awarded a large percentage of the asset (house), regardless of who had paid the bills and mortgage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

He sounds like a good man who tried to do right and got no thanks for it.

Nice guys finish last and all that. He's a mug, and his new partner has separated from him and I'm sure she'll get some more money out of him, probably proceeds from the sale, or a share of the massive rent that can be charged for a house yards from Google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

No accommodation and property issue here, possibly better suited to legal discussion but it is effectively a personal situ between two people that the courts have ruled on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement