Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

900 m from "Fibre Broadband Cabinet is Live" and 7Mb max speed?

Options
  • 16-07-2016 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

As in the title, i'm living (not in straight line) 900 m from the cabinet that can provide efibre ( 705 m in the straight line according to this map fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/), yet from unknown reason maximum speed i can get is 7Mb? (currently on ADSL2+ 12Mb)

Please copy and paste the urls because i'm not allowed to post links here.

Regarding to this post from the eir agent: community.eir.ie/broadband-25/when-will-efibre-be-available-the-barnaderg-area-co-galway-map-states-july-2015-101392/index1.html#post265129

the table show that i should be able to get minimum of 25Mb downstream and 9Mb upstream.

here is the map with marked place where the cabinet nr SKB1_004 is:

google.ie/maps/place/90+Upper+Bridge+St,+Marsh,+Skibbereen,+Co.+Cork/@51.5506168,-9.2722756,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4845a5c0d003697b:0xc92b8ce7be37c79d!8m2!3d51.5504071!4d-9.27209?hl=ie

Could anyone please explain it to me how is that possible that all i can get, in not that long distance to the cabinet is only 7Mb? (no idea what would be the upstream, no such information on eir website) which is almost half less of the speed of old ADSL2+  infrastructure.

Or if i PM my address to eir agent would it be possible to get any information if there are any plans (and hope for me) about installing new cabinet near by my place?

Thanks in advance

Lukas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Assuming you're west/south west of SKB1_004:

Exchange: 0M
    Cab 004: 1000M
    You: 1000+900M

That leaves you at 1900M which is exactly at the end of the "boosted" VDSL range. http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/ Confirms SKB is fully deployed.

7Mb Down 1Mb Up is the best you'll get, your line heads to the far side of town
    This won't be changed, cables are not rerouted by OpenEir
    Yes ADSL is better, stick with it
    SKB will get FTTH between now and 2020, then you'll be able to get 150Mb upwards. 

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

Thank you very much ED E for your quick and clear answer!
    I couldn't get that kind of information from Eir over the phone at all...

So information on this website is incorrect?: thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html
    What speed can I expect from fibre broadband? (FTTC)

The speed of your connection will vary depending on the distance to the fibre cabinet that serves your house. If you know roughly how far the cabinet is, you should be able to calculate the speed you should receive based on the figures in the table below:

Just for my own knowledge, even if Eir would build new cab nearby my place now, it would not make any change for me, wouldn't it?

Or 1000M is the max possible distance from exchange to the farthest cab?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cabs go where old copper ones were and "jump in" on the line there. Basically wiring from the 70s is what determines current placement. There will be no changes now as the SKB area is all done.  

Advertisement