Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seat tube mounted child carrier on aluminium bike

Options
  • 16-07-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

Yay or nay?

Have a steel bike but need to do a few bits n pieces to it before it's back on the road, so was thinking of sticking the child carrier on the cx bike which is an aluminium frame, but wondering would it be up for it or would it potentially damage the frame.

Thoughts/Experiences etc welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I've seen a fair few on alu frames - issues can exist where the tube isn't round (or is tapered along its length), so the seat or footrest clamp can slip and become totally loose (rather than just crooked, as on a round tube) - this depends on the shape of your alu tubing.

The other issue that can arise is that alu is softer than steel, so the tube can be deformed at lower clamping torques than steel - go for good grip with smart use of rubber, rather than all-out tightness.

If you're doing it, use thick rubber strips for grip - chopped up sections from dead road-bike tyres work well (cut the metal bead off).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've done it without using any special precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Lumen wrote: »
    I've done it without using any special precautions.

Done the same on an Alu mtb
    No issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I have Nicolas in his seat on my cx alu frame. He is about 17kgs now. I do get constant creaking now (recently) but have to investigate the source (frame or bb). I'll get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

cheers guys, although no one suggested a new bike. I'm disappointed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement