Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a house owner to clean up their property

Options
  • 16-07-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

The first house as you enter the estate where I live is badly in need of painting and weeds are everywhere on the paved area outside. The house itself is rented out through a letting agent. The other 5 houses that line the front of the estate are in pristine condition (all owner occupiers). So this one sticks out like a sore thumb. Is it worth getting onto the letting agent to ask the landlord to do something about it? They probably won't give two hoots once they are getting their cash.

I'm asking as I've recently joined the residents association who are trying to keep the estate well maintained. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

It's worth giving the letting agent a ring but 'expect nothing, and you'll rarely be disappointed' as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

We were away before for a while & came back to long grass and weeds in the front garden.

Opened the door and had 2 notes saying CUT YOUR GRASS,YOUR BRINGING THE LOOK OF THE NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWN.

We made notes for those two houses on the road that said GO **** YOURSELF :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gebbel wrote:
    I'm asking as I've recently joined the residents association who are trying to keep the estate well maintained. Thanks.

Why don't you just offer to do it yourself if you're so concerned about the "look" of your estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I will never understand the notion people have that other people's property is their business. I live in an estate in Co. Galway and recently went to the residents association meeting. I was shocked at the petty trivia the people concern themselves with. Naming people in front of a room full of strangers that THEY CONSIDER driving too fast in the estate and what their employment is etc. If the state of the property structurally or health wise affect you eg. Rubbish attracting vermin then look for a change but if you don't like the look of a house or state of its upkeep then just mind your own business and continue keeping your home well maintained and just concern yourself with that and not the way others choose to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can we try to help the OP please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I don't see an issue getting onto the letting agency and asking them to look into it. They might not do anything but if you don't ask you don't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Why don't you just offer to do it yourself if you're so concerned about the "look" of your estate.

Are you serious? That's the most ludicrous suggestion I've read here all day.

Do you normally clean up after other people yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I'd say it's been a while since you had to deal with the typical letting agent or landlord in Ireland. It can often be like pulling teeth to get many of them to do the minimum of necessary repairs let alone anything cosmetic. And that's when it's requested by the rent paying tenant! They will do sod all for a neighbour I'd say.

If they let the house get into that state they are not going to be bothered about fixing it at the urging of someone who has nothing to do with the property. It's quite likely the tenants have mentioned it and been fobbed off anyway.

gebbel wrote: »

Well in fairness it's not much more ludicrous than you thinking you have any right whatsoever to tell someone else how their property should look!

Clampdown wrote: »
    Well in fairness it's not much more ludicrous than you thinking you have any right whatsoever to tell someone else how their property should look!

Their property is neglected and run down. Paint is peeling off the walls. Weeds everwhere. It looks cat. Typical couldn't give a toss once the cash is coming in landlord negligence. And before you retort at that, I rent a property myself....but no way I'd let it deteriorate like they have. It's not fair on the rest who show a bit of pride in their home.

I may not have the right to tell them how their property should look, but it certainly should look better than it is right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Theres a house in my estate like this. Same deal, it's let out, all the other houses surrounding it are well maintained, this place looks like a doss house. It lowers the tone and the value of the surrounding properties.

All I can suggest is to pressure the letting agent. Or the owner if you can find out who it is. Ask if there is anything you can do to help. Sure, you might be told to mind your own business but if you are you are.

I don't agree that people should live in an estate and mind their own business and ignore the condition of houses around them. When I was young our next door neighbours garden was awful. A tip. It was because he was old and not capable of caring for it. So we looked after it for him, and he was delighted. Later when my parents were incapable a different neighbour mowed their lawn. There is no harm in offering help.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Offering help is lovely and thoughtful and indeed I am sure some people would be very grateful to have the help BUT some people are quite private and having a house with kerb appeal is just not important to them. I don't mean to be argumentative with the OP I understand that it is important to them but maybe just chill out and see that everyone has different lifestyles and priorities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I don't agree that people should live in an estate and mind their own business and ignore the condition of houses around them. When I was young our next door neighbours garden was awful. A tip. It was because he was old and not capable of caring for it. So we looked after it for him, and he was delighted. Later when my parents were incapable a different neighbour mowed their lawn. There is no harm in offering help.
    I agree.

Unfortunately the OP doesn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭jack923

The first house as you enter the estate where I live is badly in need of painting and weeds are everywhere on the paved area outside. The house itself is rented out through a letting agent. The other 5 houses that line the front of the estate are in pristine condition (all owner occupiers). So this one sticks out like a sore thumb. Is it worth getting onto the letting agent to ask the landlord to do something about it? They probably won't give two hoots once they are getting their cash.

To be completely honest I think you should stop worrying about what people think of your estate and also that what someone does or doesn't do with their own property is none of your business.

Although if it bothers you that much then do it yourself.

Their property is neglected and run down. Paint is peeling off the walls. Weeds everwhere. It looks cat. Typical couldn't give a toss once the cash is coming in landlord negligence. And before you retort at that, I rent a property myself....but no way I'd let it deteriorate like they have. It's not fair on the rest who show a bit of pride in their home.

I may not have the right to tell them how their property should look, but it certainly should look better than it is right now.

How is it not fair to you? I'd really like to know.

If you were to walk down a city street in a new outfit and with your hair combed would you feel it was unfair to have to look at the homeless people with shabby clothes and poor hygiene?

Why not just be grateful for the nice home YOU have and stop worrying about what other people's homes look like? There's more to life than winning the Tidy Towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Why not dirty your house up to keep up with their style. If they are not will to change why don't you give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note
    If you can't contribute in a helpful way please don't reply to this thread.

Clampdown wrote: »
    How is it not fair to you? I'd really like to know.

If you were to walk down a city street in a new outfit and with your hair combed would you feel it was unfair to have to look at the homeless people with shabby clothes and poor hygiene?

Why not just be grateful for the nice home YOU have and stop worrying about what other people's homes look like? There's more to life than winning the Tidy Towns.

I don't agree with any of this. This property is in a state of neglect. It's the very first property you drive by as you enter the estate. Let's say I want to sell up, or anyone else for that matter. First impressions of a potential buyer? Plus weeds spread elsewhere. That what weeds do.

Look this isn't me on a crusade...others have a problem with it also. I'm just trying to find a solution, because it's just not acceptable that the absent landlord doesn't seem to care, or doesn't perhaps realise it. Nothing to do with competitions or titles. I think it's perfectly reasonable to point it out to him or her.

I don't agree with any of this. This property is in a state of neglect. It's the very first property you drive by as you enter the estate. Let's say I want to sell up, or anyone else for that matter. First impressions of a potential buyer? Plus weeds spread elsewhere. That what weeds do.

Look this isn't me on a crusade...others have a problem with it also. I'm just trying to find a solution, because it's just not acceptable that the absent landlord doesn't seem to care, or doesn't perhaps realise it. Nothing to do with competitions or titles. I think it's perfectly reasonable to point it out to him or her.

As someone else said it could easily be an elderly woman who is unable to do it, why not offer to help? Who cares about the tidy towns man.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,507 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There was a time a few years ago when a number of houses on the estate where I live were rented out and were seriously neglected. This was nothing to do with elderly people, it was simply absentee landlords not caring so long as they got their rent. Most people made the effort to keep their property tidy, but you do not need too many scruffy houses to make the whole place look like a kip.

The situation seems to have turned round now, and there are no unacceptably neglected properties, it will never be a pretty estate, but at least it looks cared for. Is it a fair bet that the people who are so dismissive of the OP's issues are not paying a mortgage, and therefore unconcerned about the value of their accommodation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think most estates have one or 2 houses. Sometimes it's someone elderly but more times than not it's rundown rental property.
    I agree with most here about not having any say in others property. But in answer to your question, God loves a tryer. It's certainly worth getting in touch with the estate agent but it is worth remembering that we have a lot of accidental landlords and a lot of these can't afford to keep the inside of the property up to standard let alone the out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Have you asked them to tidy up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    accidental landlords .

Just looking for clarification as to what this mean ?
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Maybe the neighbors like to have a wild garden,soon they'll be all the rage.
    Bees are in decline.

I once didn't like the kerbs full of weeds on my estate,so I got my wheelbarrow, cullinear weed hoe,a grain shovel and a brush,spent 2 hours contently slicing every weed from the crevices and edges.
    Filled up my wheelbarrow and dumped them into my compost heap.
    That was a job done professionally,clean and my annual fee for the residents association paid.
    I do it twice every year.

I'd rather do that than hand over 100 Euro's to some dodgy resident's association.

A landscaper would charge around 200 for the same job....

hairyslug wrote: »
    Have you asked them to tidy up?

No and I don't know who the landlord is.

looksee wrote: »
    There was a time a few years ago when a number of houses on the estate where I live were rented out and were seriously neglected. This was nothing to do with elderly people, it was simply absentee landlords not caring so long as they got their rent. Most people made the effort to keep their property tidy, but you do not need too many scruffy houses to make the whole place look like a kip.

The situation seems to have turned round now, and there are no unacceptably neglected properties, it will never be a pretty estate, but at least it looks cared for. Is it a fair bet that the people who are so dismissive of the OP's issues are not paying a mortgage, and therefore unconcerned about the value of their accommodation?

There was a time I used to live with a family member in a rural part of finglas where there was bushes from fields on the other side of the road growing onto the road and trust me it looked very bad, the council neglected it but the residents didn't sit around complaining about it, a group of people many of them elderly went out and done it themselves made a few days work out of it even though it wasn't their job it was the councils.

Now why can't people in his area do the same if it bothers them that much? It surely wouldn't take long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

looksee wrote: »

Ah the generic all Landlords care about is money argument. I get from your attitude that you arent a LL. It will very difficult to maintain and look after a property you dont live in. I know LL's who cut the lawns in their houses religiously every 2/3 weeks. Sometimes there is no length on the lawn after 3 weeks while sometimes after 2 weeks of rain/sun the garden can look unkept.

I know a lot of LL's who dont bother cutting their lawns regularly or painting their houses etc, as they cant stand dealing with residents who have too much time on their hands moaning about issues not even related to their house. I know one landlord who gave up going to maintain one of his houses as the local residents association had a vendetta against him claiming his house of 18/19 year old female were vandalising cars and were putting full black bins on people cars. There was no apologies when the Gardai found out it was being caused by halfway house of lads. I know for a lot of landlords a job that should take 30 mins in one of their houses can take about 2 hours as they have to listen to various neighbours blaming their tenants for all the issues the neighbour has regardless of whether it is related or not eg rats, flies etc

My opinion if you buy into a housing estate, you need to accept not everyone have the time to upkeep their house or not everyone is so preoccupied with keeping up with the Jones, that they dont see the point of getting new PVC windows every 5 years or so.

Go to a housing estate in an upper middle class area versus a working class area. In a middle class area you will find a ton of houses with rotten windows that are 80/90 years old, railings that are rusting and driveways that in bits. None of those houses are rented. Versus go to a very working class area and you wont see a single original window in site. Everyone will have those tacky 'cobble style' driveways and cheap PVC windows.

A neglected house doenst mean it is owned by a absentee landlord. People who have money and a lot of it, are ridiculously bad at maintaining their homes too as they dont need to show off their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

sunny2004 wrote:
    Just looking for clarification as to what this mean ? Thanks

It usually refers to people who bought property at the height of the bubble, possibly to live in themselves. Bubble burst and they couldn't pay the mortgage on their own home. Some of these moved out of their home. Some moved back with parents or rent somewhere cheaper for themselves. They then rent out their homes and possibly have to add to the rent they receive in order to pay the mortgage. Quite often they don't have money for the upkeep of the property and it becomes run down.

In short an accidental landlord never set out to be landlords but were forced into it out of necessity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

gebbel wrote:
    No and I don't know who the landlord is.

Have you ever read the book "The elves and the shoemaker"

Very insightful indeed.

Sometimes it's nice to help people out without them knowing.

You could be the helpful elf,stealing weeds from your neighbor s garden....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Hire someone to maintain the garden and take it out of the Rent and hand over the Receipt instead of money. They'll soon know what they need to do if they want full rent off ya.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement