Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a house owner to clean up their property

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

In answer to the OP who seems to think that the people who are of the opinion that he or she should just be content to maintain their own home the way that they choose and leave others to do as they see fit. I am actually a mortgage holder and I work full time and have other responsibilities to older parents. I keep my property immaculate because I choose to, it's regularly painted and I keep the exterior neat and tidy BUT my neighbour chooses not to for whatever reason and that's her choice. She seems to be a perfectly nice person that just has other things that interest her so I just mind my own business and continue keeping my own property as I wish. I do not see how her property is any of my business as long as it does not impact on the structure of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Hire someone to maintain the garden and take it out of the Rent and hand over the Receipt instead of money. They'll soon know what they need to do if they want full rent off ya.

You clearly didn't read the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Sorry to hijack, didn't think this deserved a thread, similar issue.

On my lease it says i have to maintain the garden (unfortunately no tools are provided). But when we moved in the garden was already unusable, it's completely overgrown since day 1, would need a good bit of work to make it half decent. The neighbours are grumbling and i wouldnt mind using it myself.

I was wondering should he at least have it in a decent state for it to be maintained or am I asking too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

IvoryTower wrote: »

On my lease it says i have to maintain the garden (unfortunately no tools are provided). But when we moved in the garden was already unusable, it's completely overgrown since day 1, would need a good bit of work to make it half decent. The neighbours are grumbling and i wouldnt mind using it myself.

I was wondering should he at least have it in a decent state for it to be maintained or am I asking too much.

He should have given it to you in a good state, the same as you would expect him/her to have the house for when you move in. Problem is you should have said before you moved in. You accepted the house & garden "as is" so its up to you now.
    You could ask the landlord & see what they say or say nothing & make it easier to ask about repairs as they come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

gebbel wrote: »
    I don't agree with any of this. This property is in a state of neglect. It's the very first property you drive by as you enter the estate. Let's say I want to sell up, or anyone else for that matter. First impressions of a potential buyer? Plus weeds spread elsewhere. That what weeds do.

Look this isn't me on a crusade...others have a problem with it also. I'm just trying to find a solution, because it's just not acceptable that the absent landlord doesn't seem to care, or doesn't perhaps realise it. Nothing to do with competitions or titles. I think it's perfectly reasonable to point it out to him or her.

Sounds like your only viable options are to ask the landlord to improve the house, and if not willing/able to do so to then offer to do it yourselves or to contribute to the cost of getting the work done.

I'm not saying you should have to pay, or you should do the work, but the reality is if the Landlord doesn't want to do or pay for it themselves, there is not a lot you can do to make them other than offering to make it as painless as possible for them.
    If the landlord is having no trouble renting, and collecting his rent at the moment; he may have no incentive to improve the house.
    Conversely, if the LL is currently having trouble with the tenants (late rent etc) they may purposely be letting the house decline to avoid throwing good money after bad (I think that's the phrase; looks ridiculous written down :P)

For context: I'm a mortgage paying homeowner on a Semi-D situated between 2 rental houses (1 students; 1 family). In our estate it is very evident at a glance which houses are rented and which are owner-occupied. To me this is just the reality of house rental as it exists.
    On the plus side, our house was cheapest bought in the estate on house register record (in 2012). For every seller who's house is de-valued there's a buyer who may need that discount :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Did you bring up anything about the garden when you move in? Ours was in a similar state when we rented our last place but we put it in writing that we were willing to do the up keep of the garden but only if it was brought to an acceptable level first. There was a bit of back & forth about it but we did get it sorted.

If you haven't brought it up before, maybe say it to the landlord & see the response. It might be helpful to have a couple of quotes of what it would cost to bring it back to a normally manageable level.

Did you bring up anything about the garden when you move in? Ours was in a similar state when we rented our last place but we put it in writing that we were willing to do the up keep of the garden but only if it was brought to an acceptable level first. There was a bit of back & forth about it but we did get it sorted.

If you haven't brought it up before, maybe say it to the landlord & see the response. It might be helpful to have a couple of quotes of what it would cost to bring it back to a normally manageable level.

No I didnt say anything. We've been living there for 2 years now. I asked him at the start of the summer could he get it up to scratch and i would maintain it then. He sent his nephew around who made it worse. Then the neighbours were on to me so i asked again the other day, he said its up to tenant to look after garden. I checked the lease and it does say that. So I just text to see if he can get it to a usable state I would gladly maintain it then. Does that seem fair?

If he says no i'll probably just leave it as is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

No I didnt say anything. We've been living there for 2 years now. I asked him at the start of the summer could he get it up to scratch and i would maintain it then. He sent his nephew around who made it worse. Then the neighbours were on to me so i asked again the other day, he said its up to tenant to look after garden. I checked the lease and it does say that. So I just text to see if he can get it to a usable state I would gladly maintain it then. Does that seem fair?

Honestly if you've been there for 2 years then it really is up to you & not to the landlord. Especially as it's in the lease. As long as the basic tools (lawnmower) have been supplied.

Our garden had large bushes & trees. After the first big clean up that we got the landlord to pay for, we did pay for them to be maintained the following year as it was our responsibility at that point per the lease.

Worth the question you've asked but I wouldn't be expecting a positive response.

Honestly if you've been there for 2 years then it really is up to you & not to the landlord. Especially as it's in the lease. As long as the basic tools (lawnmower) have been supplied.

Our garden had large bushes & trees. After the first big clean up that we got the landlord to pay for, we did pay for them to be maintained the following year as it was our responsibility at that point per the lease.

Worth the question you've asked but I wouldn't be expecting a positive response.

No tools supplied and no where to store my own either(tiny house). So realistically I will have to pay someone to maintain it. I'd say it costs a lot less for someone to cut your grass than for someone to overhaul it like it needs now.

So I should pay for both is it

a friend has offered to do it for me the first time, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

IvoryTower wrote:
    a friend has offered to do it for me the first time, thanks.

Happy days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TENHNY

Good Luck

I am trying for two years to get landlord to paint our house outside and
    there was leak inside and damaged the ceiling and i am waiting over 9 months for that to be fixed, Dont assume its the tenants, some landlords have no pride in their house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

TENHNY wrote: »
    Good Luck

I am trying for two years to get landlord to paint our house outside and
    there was leak inside and damaged the ceiling and i am waiting over 9 months for that to be fixed, Dont assume its the tenants, some landlords have no pride in their house

run it through threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

This post has been deleted.

only if thats after 2 years of tenancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Good Luck

Dont assume its the tenants, some landlords have no pride in their house

What "pride" are they supposed to take in their asset? It is an investment and its only purpose is to make money for them. If you are not happy with your landlord treating his business like a business, you might want to look for somewhere else to live.

When you go to your corner shop and see that it hasnt been painted in a while. Do you ask the owner why he takes "no pride" in it? I doubt it, as I imagine he will tell you what to do with yourself

Owning a rental property is a business ie its sole purpose is to make money for the owner. There is no such thing as "pride" in investing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

newacc2015 wrote: »
    What "pride" are they supposed to take in their asset? It is an investment and its only purpose is to make money for them. If you are not happy with your landlord treating his business like a business, you might want to look for somewhere else to live.

When you go to your corner shop and see that it hasnt been painted in a while. Do you ask the owner why he takes "no pride" in it? I doubt it, as I imagine he will tell you what to do with yourself

Owning a rental property is a business ie its sole purpose is to make money for the owner. There is no such thing as "pride" in investing

You do realise some people don't want to be landlords?

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    You do realise some people don't want to be landlords?

How is letting your investment fall to pieces good business ?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

IvoryTower wrote:
    No tools supplied and no where to store my own either(tiny house). So realistically I will have to pay someone to maintain it. I'd say it costs a lot less for someone to cut your grass than for someone to overhaul it like it needs now.

I'm pretty sure it's the landlords responsibility to either maintain the gardens or provide the tools, regardless of what's said in the lease. Look up the legislation. I'm 99% certain of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Needing a lick of paint and a bit of gardening is not letting it 'fall to pieces'. Whatever about needing a coat of paint, gardening is usually the tenants job.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    Needing a lick of paint and a bit of gardening is not letting it 'fall to pieces'. Whatever about needing a coat of paint, gardening is usually the tenants job.

You obviously didn't read my full post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

You obviously didn't read my full post

I did. Twice.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I did. Twice.

We have to agree to disagree, a foot foot wide hole in the ceiling for nine months isn't my idea of looking after a business - note I didn't refer to landlord as business someone else did.
    Have a good day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

We have to agree to disagree, a foot foot wide hole in the ceiling for nine months isn't my idea of looking after a business - note I didn't refer to landlord as business someone else did.
    Have a good day

Explain to me how a landlord painting the exterior of the house is going to make him more money? You might not like that, but that isnt your call to make. He is going to get a cent more in rent after spending €1000-2000 on superficial work like painting outside walls.

Likewise how is not fixing a hole in a ceiling going to make him more money? He fixed the leak, which will save him money. Fixing the ceiling wont make him more money

You can demand your landlord to paint the walls and fix the ceilings. But guess who you pay for them? You will in your next rent increase, as just like any rational business owner they pass on the extra expenses to the purchaser of those services

If you dont like how the business owner aka the landlord treats his investment. My two cents is find a new landlord

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement