Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claddagh Rings as a non engagement ring.

Options
  • 16-07-2016 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Okay forgive the stupid question but I'm going out with a Galway girl and was planning on getting he a Claddagh ring as a birthday present.
    Is this a good idea or will she think I'm proposing. Is it something generally reserved for engagements?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Its fine as a gift for a girlfriend.
    It is not a wedding ring nor a engagement ring, even though it can be used as either.

I have recieved and given Claddagh rings as gifts for girlfriends myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

biko wrote: »
    Its fine as a gift for a girlfriend.
    It is not a wedding ring nor a engagement ring, even though it can be used as either.

I have recieved and given Claddagh rings as gifts for girlfriends myself.

Biko reveals his moves!! :)

It's a fine present, it represents, friendship, love and loyalty. It's perfect for a friend or a gf/bf. Definitely nothing exclusively "weddingy" about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I think galways the only place where i can tell the relationship status of 90% of women by looking at their hand. Claddagh ring galways relationship status long before facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Grand to give it as a gift, however I *have* known of people misinterpreting any ring given as a pressie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

There's a Clip on Youtube asking people, a lot of Tourists, if they know the meaning of the Claddagh Ring. Most know it so they do! I'm a Galway Girl and I didn't have a bull's clue about any meaning behind it till I stumbled upon that Clip! :o:pac::eek::o

Lovely idea O.P. Have 1 / 2 myself and Earrings but they're broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is how many learned it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Okay forgive the stupid question but I'm going out with a Galway girl and was planning on getting he a Claddagh ring as a birthday present.
    Is this a good idea or will she think I'm proposing. Is it something generally reserved for engagements?

It's a fine idea.

Remember the originals come from Dillon's.

Only downside, being from Galway she may already have one (Or More).
    So I would advise getting one of the more unusual ones.

Perhaps with her birthstone.

Beware ones with Diamonds Inset, that might be a bit risky :-)

Or as an alternate, my wife has this lovely Story of Galway Ring.

Advertisement