Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Loans

• 16-07-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

So I hope to attend Maynooth this September and I should have my grant to help me. I have every intention of getting a job and won't stop until I have one. I've been determined this summer to get a job but it hasn't worked out so far. I am still looking and have even created posters for services, i.e; cleaning, art lessons, childminding, and yet nothing has come from that either. I live in a small rural area so commuting is hard considering I cannot drive and have nobody to depend upon so that has killed some of my chances as during one of my interviews the employer thought the commute would be too long and couldn't risk me being late. (Never have been late in my life and would never accept a job I thought I wouldn't make it on time for).

Anyway, by the looks of it I should be entitled to a 100% contribution and maintenance grant to help me during my pursuit of a job. I have around €1,300 of savings in the Credit Union, I have someone that can act as a guarantor ( someone who is an AIB member and has a great record with the bank), I plan on studying Economics and Accounting also. So my question is, if I apply for a loan at AIB, what is my likelihood of getting a loan? Because I live in a rural area it will be impossible to commute to the college everyday so I have booked student on campus accommodation. This is my crutch and reason to look for a loan.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Don't rule out getting a student loan from the Credit Union, most of them have student rates - you can use your guarantor there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭wehuntmonsters

I know and have looked into it but AIB has more reasonable loans that I would be able to manage.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Do you have a Student Plus account with AIB? Looks like you need that to be able to apply for the special rate student loans: http://personal.aib.ie/our-products/loans/education-loans

Nobody here would know for sure whether you'll get it or not, it'll be up to AIB and their loan criteria ultimately

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭wehuntmonsters

Yeah I do have one and of course I know. I was just ultimately wondering if anyone in the same position ever secured a loan from AIB as I know it could be a hit or a miss.

Advertisement