Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White rendered raised beds / garden walls

Options
  • 16-07-2016 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Just finished an extension so our garden is in an awful state. Only about 25 foot long after decking so was hoping to get white concrete rendered beds in on either side and either relay the grass again as its ruined or get artificial grass in. Anyone any recommendations as to who can do these sort of white garden walls in North Dublin and also any indication of average price per square metre for these beds/walls etc. i have a price for the grass already. If the cost is too high, I may just look at getting grass relayed everywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

shelladoo wrote: »
    Just finished an extension so our garden is in an awful state. Only about 25 foot long after decking so was hoping to get white concrete rendered beds in on either side and either relay the grass again as its ruined or get artificial grass in. Anyone any recommendations as to who can do these sort of white garden walls in North Dublin and also any indication of average price per square metre for these beds/walls etc. i have a price for the grass already. If the cost is too high, I may just look at getting grass relayed everywhere.

we had an extension done, you'd be surprised how well grass can recover.
    Also, why not just build "normal" raised beds and paint them white\cream with masonry paint. Be a lot cheaper and looks very good

otherwise

http://www.kilsaran.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shelladoo

Thanks for the post. It's the building of the normal raised beds in concrete that I need recommendations for really. Not confident at all with Diy to tackle myself. Really like the look of the white rather than the coloured stone bricks from the patio places, just need to find someonr reputable and reasonable to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

shelladoo wrote:
    Thanks for the post. It's the building of the normal raised beds in concrete that I need recommendations for really. Not confident at all with Diy to tackle myself. Really like the look of the white rather than the coloured stone bricks from the patio places, just need to find someonr reputable and reasonable to do it

Would you not consider wood beds painted. Would be cheaper and are quick and easy to construct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Brasros wrote: »
    Would you not consider wood beds painted. Would be cheaper and are quick and easy to construct.

Wood beds? They would degrade surely and only last a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

I wanted a similar look when landscaping. I had a waist high wall built all around an inner area that was constructed with two lines of concrete block (3 high) side by side with a one foot space inbetween, plastered and painted and then planted in with box hedge. I am often asked if it is concrete.
    It would have been a difficult job to shutter and pour concrete to do the same thing and there are more block layers/plasterers available.

• Advertisement

twignme wrote: »
    I wanted a similar look when landscaping. I had a waist high wall built all around an inner area that was constructed with two lines of concrete block (3 high) side by side with a one foot space inbetween, plastered and painted and then planted in with box hedge. I am often asked if it is concrete.
    It would have been a difficult job to shutter and pour concrete to do the same thing and there are more block layers/plasterers available.

Did you do it yourself then? I have wooden sleepers at the moment and they are gone rotten. I don't mind doing it myself but I'm not that great DIY wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

shelladoo wrote: »
    Did you do it yourself then? I have wooden sleepers at the moment and they are gone rotten. I don't mind doing it myself but I'm not that great DIY wise!

I was busy with indoor renovations at the time so for the garden, I tried to get all the grunt work done, the bits the trades hate. Foundations dug out, all materials available and where they should be so all they had to do was come in and get cracking. If you only want raised beds, I would think you're only looking at one course of blocks maybe, at the most two? so prep for that should be easy enough and someone could come in and do the job very quickly. The only thing to remember is that wooden raised beds can be moved if you get fed up with where they are. What I'm suggesting is permanent.
    As for DIY, I'm a 5'6" 60 year old woman, still digging trenches and mixing concrete and putting up shelves. The only way to learn is to get stuck in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dane29

Photo would be really good Twignme:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paddyk162

Got a quote for what we needed of 8 linear metres for €1150 approx.

paddyk162 wrote: »
    Got a quote for what we needed of 8 linear metres for €1150 approx.

Who did you get that quote from, do you mind me asking / are you based in Dublin?

• Advertisement

DM/PM me and I will send you his details .Yes based in Dublin.

Sent you his details.
    Didn't go for the rendered walls in the end. When we rang him that's what we wanted. But it just came down to time. Contacted him in late May. We had sleepers with a raised bed that had gone rotten. They needed replacing and we were going with the rendered wall. Would be waiting a few weeks for the rendered wall as he was booked out. He suggested a retaining wall from Tobermore (secura lite bricks) He could fit us in in the coming 2 weeks for this. This wall would be built in a day. 1 block for a foundation and then these bricks sit on top of each other - no mortar. Lip on each one that ties it in. Capping then can be used to finish off. This type of wall could be moved in the future if needed. The rendered wall would take a couple of days - finish would be longest part. Price for both walls was approx the same he said - Tobemore wall - cost more in materials & less in labour where as the rendered wall was the opposite.

Advertisement