Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought house with prepaid electricity meter

Options
  • 16-07-2016 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place...

The brother has just bought a house and is trying to get the electricity and other utilities switched on for the first time in about 2 years. TBH, I'm not sure precisely what way he's handling things but he's been telling me he keeps hitting dead ends. He's not planning on moving in for a little while but at least needs power for cleaning and light renovation in the meantime.

He rang ESB Networks who told him that there was a prepay meter fitted but can't divulge whose it is. I'm pretty sure he said that ESB Networks confirmed that the connection is live at the moment. The unit itself doesn't have any branding on it and there seems to be little to go on except a long code flashing up on the digital screen. The brother says it doesn't mean anything but I don't know on what basis he's saying this.

Honestly, I'm getting a headache from the saga and honestly, I have no idea if he's approaching things the correct way. Can anyone give me any definitive advice as to how someone goes about figuring out whose prepay meter is installed and/ or if it's possible to see about getting it switched on at least in the short term?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

There's only 5/6 electricity providers in Ireland right? He'll have to ring them and ask. I had this issue with my house. ESB couldn't give me the provider so I just had to ring (and luckily it was the first one I rang) and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

SB Part2, how did you proceed from there? Was it simply a matter of asking them to come and remove the pre-pay meter and then starting a regular supply contract with a supplier of your choice or was there a charge for removing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Sleepy wrote: »
    SB Part2, how did you proceed from there? Was it simply a matter of asking them to come and remove the pre-pay meter and then starting a regular supply contract with a supplier of your choice or was there a charge for removing it?

Once you know which company the meter I for and have the mprn they can give you a code to switch the meter to billpay mode. No need to replace it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Sleepy wrote: »

Mine wasn't a pre-paid meter but it was locked. The old provider needed confirmation we bought the house. Once we put an order in with a new company they contacted ESB to remove the lock. There was approx. 70e charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Thanks, noticed a pin device on the meter box during our second viewing, unsure as to whether it's active or not but no doubt we'll find out in the next couple of weeks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement