Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controlling ivy on house wall.

Options
  • 16-07-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

The ivy looks great, but it's a part time job keeping it under control.
    Two storey house so I don't always feel secure cutting it myself.

Is there a product that will stop it reaching the eaves?
    Some sort of trellis maybe that will direct it away from the roof?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Very short answer - no. Sorry! Maybe you should consider getting someone to come and keep it under control for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Thanks for the reply.
    Someone should invent something!
    I actually find it hard to get someone for such a small job.

Controlling ivy on a two storey house is really not that small a job. Get some recommendations from people around for garden maintenance firms who could do it once or twice a year. The only real alternative is to get the ivy removed, which would be quite a big job, but would save you the difficulty of getting someone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Very few gardeners will do it because they have to use a hoist or scaffold tower. Both need space to set up & are a cost to hire. Clearing Ivy off a wall using a ladder is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Thanks for the replies.
    I don't want to get rid of the ivy, just trim it where it meets the roof.
    I've kept on top of it up to now, but I'm not confident on a ladder anymore.
    It'd only take a couple of hours tidy up.

• Advertisement

In order for someone else to do it they would really have to take it down maybe a foot from the gutters. If you let it get to the very top of the wall you have no idea how much has sneaked into the attic/ under the roof. I find it hard to believe it can be done in a couple of hours. I have some Ivy which grows on a ground level wall and its a nuisance to keep under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The problem is that the couple of hours labour will be greatly increased by the tower or hoist hire.

Advertisement