Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-employment medical ... query ?

Options
  • 16-07-2016 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Is this legal?

I got to the final stage of an interview process and there was a medical before they would sign a contract. I turned up at the place and had what I would actually regard as a rather intrusive medical, given that it is for a job that has zero requirement to do anything physical - IT related.

Anyway, I've hearing loss in one of my ears, quite serious but nobody notices and it's never in any way impinged on my ability to do my job.

I had particularly bad tinnitus the day of the hearing test and didn't hear most of the tones on one side. The other side was perfect.

They failed me on the medical!

I can't see how stereo hearing has anything to do with the job.

I don't particularly want the job anymore, but I just was wondering if this is going to make me somehow unemployable. As I am thinking maybe I should just go self-employed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

So, they didn't go ahead with employing you? You didn't get the job because of your hearing? Would that not be discrimination on the grounds of disability? Otherwise a medical can be fairly standard and should not put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Have a look at equality legislation. To the best of my understanding you should not be discriminated against on grounds of a disability when the disability does not effect your capacity to do the job as advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spaghettifier

Nope, I got an email saying I'd failed the medical and they weren't continuing with the process.

I'm not really bothered pursuing it as I probably could get something better. I'm just a bit taken aback by the response.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nope, I got an email saying I'd failed the medical and they weren't continuing with the process.

Did they say it was due to your hearing or just that you failed the medical? I've had numerous roles in IT which required a medical including drugs tests

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Thats shocking

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Did they say it was due to your hearing or just that you failed the medical? I've had numerous roles in IT which required a medical including drugs tests

Called back after the email and just got told it was due to the hearing. She wasn't "happy that I could fully interact with the multimedia environment" or some similar BS.

The role didn't require any editing of audio or anything like that (although I actually edit audio all the time and this doesn't in any way impact me).

I'm not in need of the job, it was just one of those kind of speculative things where they approached me via LinkedIn.

Basically the only issue it causes is that I can't hear people sitting to one side of me and will tend to turn around / put people on that side a lot more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Called back after the email and just got told it was due to the hearing. She wasn't "happy that I could fully interact with the multimedia environment" or some similar BS.

The role didn't require any editing of audio or anything like that (although I actually edit audio all the time and this doesn't in any way impact me).

It's a fifty fifty case imo you could ask to redo it but if you failed a second time it wouldn't do you any good

Disability only goes so far if you are not capable of doing the job medically by their criteria I can't see that you'd have a case

It's a fifty fifty case imo you could ask to redo it but if you failed a second time it wouldn't do you any good

Disability only goes so far if you are not capable of doing the job medically by their criteria I can't see that you'd have a case

Probably ...

There would be no point in redoing it. It's about 5-10% hearing in one ear and 95%+ in the other.

That's kinda why I'm thinking I should just go self employed. This will only get worse as time goes on I think.

Anyway, a bit of a kick in the pants and quite depressing but, life goes on.

Probably ...
    That's kinda why I'm thinking I should just go self employed. This will only get worse as time goes on I think.

Anyway, a bit of a kick in the pants and quite depressing but, life goes on.

What area of it do you work in?

What area of it do you work in?

Without going into specifics as I don't want the company or myself identified in case I do decide to go a legal route, but it's sort of a crossover between IT and marketing.

That's what I don't understand. The role doesn't really involve any 'fine listening' any more than watching TV would.

I could understand it if it was a job as a sound engineer or something.

Possibly they just didn't like me. Who knows.

It's just not something I'd have even though of as a 'disability' to be honest. That's kinda what shocked me.

• Advertisement

Without going into specifics as I don't want the company or myself identified in case I do decide to go a legal route, but it's sort of a crossover between IT and marketing.

That's what I don't understand. The role doesn't really involve any 'fine listening' any more than watching TV would.

I could understand it if it was a job as a sound engineer or something.

They will have minimum standards they will want people to meet regarding the medical

It's hard to know if you'd have a case

Oh well.
    I might just launch in direct competition with them for the craic :P

It's just not something I'd have even though of as a 'disability' to be honest. That's kinda what shocked me.

Are you classed as being disabled due to your hearing? I.e. could you pronounce a medical cert stating this?

Never was and wouldn't want to be classified as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Wow

Never was and wouldn't want to be classified as such.

I'd say you not a leg to stand on so, you presented as someone with no medical disability and failed the medical they use in that circumstance

Loads of companies do medicals, but I can't recall one where I had a hearing test in IT so it must have some relevance in their eyes

Considering I play musical instruments, speak several languages and so on, it's not a disability.

Considering I play musical instruments, speak several languages and so on, it's not a disability.

Sounds like you just had it on a bad day for you tbh

Sounds like you just had it on a bad day for you tbh

Not really possible.. although the test was very crude.

Not really possible.. although the test was very crude.

But you said your tinnitus was particularly bad the day of the medical? If it had been OK would you potentially not have failed?

• Advertisement

But you said your tinnitus was particularly bad the day of the medical? If it had been OK would you potentially not have failed?

Probably yeah.
    Just possibly scored worse.

Actually listening to those beeps tends to give me tinnitus by undoing all the work I did to avoid listening to it.

So definitely not doing it again and wouldn't work for them if they doubled the sallery either.

I'm.juet wondering about this situation more for future reference as I have no interest in actually pushing for the job now.

Probably yeah.
    Just possibly scored worse.

Actually listening to those beeps tends to give me tinnitus by undoing all the work I did to avoid listening to it.

So definitely not doing it again and wouldn't work for them if they doubled the sallery either.

I'm.juet wondering about this situation more for future reference as I have no interest in actually pushing for the job now.

No reason to mention it surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

I would guess (and it's just that ) that the medical was subcontracted to some outfit who have a checklist to fill out and you failed it based on some score.

It's a bummer but if you really wanted the job you could have a word with someone in the company.

I certainly would not fail to hire someone because they have no hearing in one ear,unless you were working the sound desk at a Beyonce concert.

Seems like a box ticking thing alright.
    That's what's completely put me off the company.

No reason to mention it surely?

No need to mention what?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So it's not like they discriminated against you on the basis of disability, so.

Also, even it it was: employers are not required to hire you despite disabilities which impact your ability to do the job - eg we'll never see a blind bus driver or paraplegic parametic. They simplly have to make reasonable adaptations, and what is reasonable depends on the situation.

It's great that you can turn around and face someone to hear then when you're working face to face. But that don't work if all your meetings are multi-country conference calls. Depending on how the company organises the job, less-impaired hearing may be a genuine requirement.

Mrs OBumble : Yeah, in that case I should probably should just stick to working in silent jobs ...

I've never encountered this before so, I'm chalking it down to one odd process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

To be honest, the hiring manager was probably simply told that you "failed the medical" without details as they would not want to communicate that any further than necessary. The hiring manager or even HR may not have been aware of the nature of the failure in full and without further information from you not in a position to evaluate if you could indeed function in the required environment.

I would say that you have a choice when faced by a medical in future.
    • Tell the company up front during the interview process when informed of the need for a medical. If your condition does not matter to the company then they will flag this to the testing doctor and that test can be skipped.
    • Take your chances with the medical process and risk a simple pass-fail result being passed to the company.

I have hired some folks with heath challenges, but they flagged them up front, I am not sure how I would handle it if I was to find out as a result of a medical, it would make me wonder if they would be the sort of employee that would be afraid to tell me if they were having difficulties in the role in future.

Best of luck in future.

I would normally never flag this up as it's about as relevant as wearing glasses and has nothing whatsoever to do with my ability to perform the role.

I honestly never even think about it as anything other than a minor annoyance.

Also the above is basically implying I was lying to them or covering something up. That's absolutely not the case. At no point was I ever asked anything nor did I consider this worth mentioning.

I wasn't going for a job as a piano tuner or something.

I thought the medical itself was complete overkill for a job that mostly would involve dealing with code and strategy.

I've never had a medical for any previous job and just assumed it was some insurance technicality or due to sign up to their pension schemes.

Anyway, I'll be giving them a wide birth in future both as an employee and a b2b customer.

Found the whole thing rather humiliating tbh.

I neither need nor want the job. However if this is the new industry standard approach, it's just making me think I need to setup my own business and get away from HR processes entirely.

• Advertisement

I would normally never flag this up as it's about as relevant as wearing glasses and has nothing whatsoever to do with my ability to perform the role.

I honestly never even think about it as anything other than a minor annoyance.

Also the above is basically implying I was lying to them or covering something up. That's absolutely not the case. At no point was I ever asked anything nor did I consider this worth mentioning.

I wasn't going for a job as a piano tuner or something.

I thought the medical itself was complete overkill for a job that mostly would involve dealing with code and strategy.

I've never had a medical for any previous job and just assumed it was some insurance technicality or due to sign up to their pension schemes.

Anyway, I'll be giving them a wide birth in future both as an employee and a b2b customer.

Found the whole thing rather humiliating tbh.

I've had about ten medicals for jobs and five background checks
    It's company specific

Advertisement