Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charging a car battery

• 16-07-2016 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Trying to charge my car battery as there was a light left on inside which drained it.
    Battery charger got battery to 10v.
    When I came back instead of it reaching 12v it went down to 6v while charging.
    Anyone any ideas on this?
    The battery was at 0 when I started as this happened two months ago and I never done anything about it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BabyGM146

Are you sure you had the charger set up correctly? Lots of them have multiple modes, for cars or bikes etc, and this would affect charging voltage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

BabyGM146 wrote: »
    Are you sure you had the charger set up correctly? Lots of them have multiple modes, for cars or bikes etc, and this would affect charging voltage.

I think so. Its hard to understand. Had it on 12v boost mode. Is it ossible it overcharged the battery while I was away and ruined it?

Okay so this is a sealed battery. I picked it up there and it sounds like a half full bottle of water.
    I assume this is bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

If a car battery gets below around 9 - 10v it usually means it's a gonner. No amount of charging will sort it.

alta stare wrote: »
    If a car battery gets below around 9 - 10v it usually means it's a gonner. No amount of charging will sort it.

funny enough I tested it there in the car and it started straight away.
    Still concerned that it sounds like a bottle of water when lifted now as it wasnt like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I think so. Its hard to understand. Had it on 12v boost mode. Is it ossible it overcharged the battery while I was away and ruined it?

Boost...? As in the thing you switch on, to put a "cranking" current to the battery to start the car, instead of charging it?

Some chargers are labelled differently, but if you left the battery on a cranking current while you were away, that battery is cooked :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

How are you measuring the voltage?
    What do you mean when you say it sounds like a bottle of water?
    Batteries are silent and no way would 6v start a car designed for 12v battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

If it's starting the car, drive the car for a few days, then have the battery tested. Most tyre centres would be able to test a battery for you. If its ok after a few days, great. If not, it's bolloxed and you need a new one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Hi guys,
    Trying to charge my car battery as there was a light left on inside which drained it.
    Battery charger got battery to 10v.
    When I came back instead of it reaching 12v it went down to 6v while charging.
    Anyone any ideas on this?
    The battery was at 0 when I started as this happened two months ago and I never done anything about it.
    Thanks

The battery is done.

Battery Voltage and State of Charge:

12.66v . . . . . . . . . . 100%
    12.45v . . . . . . . . . . 75%
    12.24v . . . . . . . . . . 50%
    12.06v . . . . . . . . . . 25%
    11.89v . . . . . . . . . . 0%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You left a lead-acid battery lying flat for two months, it's a goner. They gradually deteriorate when left flat, it's a one-way street. It might just about hold enough of a charge to start the car soon after you connected it to a charger but chances are that it will be flat again in the morning.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    You left a lead-acid battery lying flat for two months, it's a goner. They gradually deteriorate when left flat, it's a one-way street. It might just about hold enough of a charge to start the car soon after you connected it to a charger but chances are that it will be flat again in the morning.

got me from Sligo to Galway and back.
    Gonna leave the work van at home this week and use my car and see how I get on.
    By sounds like a bottle of water I mean I can hear liquid swishing inside it like that when I pick it up.

Any luck and it'll be grand because everything else seems to have come up millhouse today so hopefully this does too :pac:

Thanks for all the help guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Boost...? As in the thing you switch on, to put a "cranking" current to the battery to start the car, instead of charging it?

Some chargers are labelled differently, but if you left the battery on a cranking current while you were away, that battery is cooked :o

A device only draws as much current as it needs. Providing extra current capacity won't harm anything, it just means it's available to the device if required.

Voltage is a different matter. Any variation here and you can of course cook a battery. Current... no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

corglass wrote: »
    A device only draws as much current as it needs. Providing extra current capacity won't harm anything, it just means it's available to the device if required.

Voltage is a different matter. Any variation here and you can of course cook a battery. Current... no

Not if its a cranking current. On the off chance you need to move the car you're charging, and the battery has some to offer, you can switch on a mode that delivers enough current to crank the vehicle's engine. A hundred amps - enough for most average engines with whatever is in the battery.

Batteries can discharge at that rate for a little while, but absolutely will not sustain a flow that size in the other direction without frying.
    Trust me :o:o:o

I think we need clarification on the charger though... Is is a yellow yoke on wheels or is is something less "workshop" duty.

Something smaller/ordinary likely doesn't have that function and the battery might be simply stuffed, or mabye it has a desulphation programme that can restore sulphated batteries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

got me from Sligo to Galway and back.
    Gonna leave the work van at home this week and use my car and see how I get on.
    By sounds like a bottle of water I mean I can hear liquid swishing inside it like that when I pick it up.

Any luck and it'll be grand because everything else seems to have come up millhouse today so hopefully this does too :pac:

Thanks for all the help guys

If your voltage figures are accurate, your battery is toast, if you don't get a new one soon, you're going to need a new alternator as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

The comment that it sounds like a 1/2 full bottle of water would suggest it's been over charged and evaporated 1/2 the battery acid away.

It could be topped back up with distilled water but it's pointless as nearly all batteries are maintenance free these days plus the cell electro plates have most likely suffered deterioration.

A fully discharged battery needs a slow charge over longer time. Quick charge or boost charge is really suitable for topping up a previous charged battery or a fully charged battery that hasn't been used in a while.

Like others have suggested the battery is toast and won't hold its charge over time. While your driving it might be fine as your car is charging it but if left standing it will discharge and eventually won't have enough power to start car.

New battles aren't that expensive sooner or later it will have to be replaced. It warm now so starting is easier but once temperature drops a duff battery will catch you out.

Advertisement