Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Outlook Archive

• 16-07-2016 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have outlook synced with gmail via imap, so I upgraded to Office 2016 in May and decided to archive everything over 6 months old on my PC.

Then I had issues with the PC so I went for a full format and not as one would think the archive.pst is no more, I have outlook installed on another PC & two other laptops that I use and thought perhaps that outlook would have saved the archive.pst file on them but unfortunately I have had not joy in locating them.

Is there any way I can retrieve the mails from gmail, its a free google apps account ?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Big Lar wrote: »
    Hi, I have outlook synced with gmail via imap, so I upgraded to Office 2016 in May and decided to archive everything over 6 months old on my PC.

Then I had issues with the PC so I went for a full format and not as one would think the archive.pst is no more, I have outlook installed on another PC & two other laptops that I use and thought perhaps that outlook would have saved the archive.pst file on them but unfortunately I have had not joy in locating them.

Is there any way I can retrieve the mails from gmail, its a free google apps account ?

Any help much appreciated.

An archive is a local copy meaning when you archived them they were taken off the gmail server and stored on your hard drive and your hard drive only. Then you formatted it so unfortunately unless you saved it to dropbox or somewhere before you formatted the drive its gone.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Big Lar, have you logged into your Gmail account recently to check if the emails are still on Google's server?

Depends on your settings, you can donwload for use in Outlook, but still have the email present on your Gmail account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Thanks for the answers lads,

Here is the thing my last email in the web interface inbox is December 2015 which is the same as outlook but on Gmail I see the storage is "13.74 GB (91%) of 15 GB used" after archiving over 5 years of emails it should be a way less altogether?

My assumption is that the emails are there someplace but I just cannot see them on any of the gmail tabs in the web browser, any thoughts on that one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Just an update, I was able to download all my email from google using https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout/custom/gmail,calendar
    It downloaded as an mbox file and then I had to install Mozilla Thunderbird and import the mbox file.

Feckin emails were there alright ;)

Advertisement