Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat vomited

• 16-07-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just a bit worried until I get hold of my vet on Monday. My cat is generally very healthy, got all her vaccinations in January. She got sick 9 days ago, it was mainly undigested nuts. She seemed fine after but I made note anyway. Yesterday she went out the back and sat on a chair and seemed a bit lethargic. Then this morning she got sick but it was a small amount of liquid. At 6 pm she again got sick, again just some liquid. She had been due her worm dose but I had failed to get it in to her successfully after many tries over past few weeks. I managed to get milbemax in to her today. I watched her behaviour and she used her litter tray as usual and then went straight for her nuts. She has had no loss of appetite at all and using the litter tray as normal. In all she does not seem like a sick cat and perhaps it was the missing worm dose. I know nobody can give an answer but as I said just worried until Monday when I can ring her vet. No change in diet or anything. Mainly indoors.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If you phone your vet out of hours, they should have a recording to tell you what to do on weekends and emergencies.
    If shes eating, drinking and seems happy enough, you could probably wait til Monday?
    On the wormdose thing, Ive been using SPOT ON types, that cover everything from fleas to worms to mites - if you're having a problem getting a tablet into her, you could use a spot on?
    You could give her some boiled chicken (as was suggested to me by cat-savvy boardsies for my cat) for the weekend - would be gentler on her tummy, and keep an eye on her

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Hi. The reason I didn't give her the spot on at the time was I had already given her frontline combo spot on and a second spot on would have been a bit much. Also my vet deals only with cats and has always recommended Milbemax to me. I don't feel this requires an emergency vet, I will wait for my vet who knows her history on Monday. Guess I was wondering if there was a possibility if the missed worm dose could cause vomiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If you're worming regularly it would be unlikely that being a few weeks out with the wormer would be responsible. Throwing up undigested food can be from eating too quickly.
    Sometimes its a hairball trying to shift.
    All my cats throw up from time to time, once they seem well, eating and pooing , and its occasional I wouldn't worry.

maggiepip wrote: »
    If you're worming regularly it would be unlikely that being a few weeks out with the wormer would be responsible. Throwing up undigested food can be from eating too quickly.
    Sometimes its a hairball trying to shift.
    All my cats throw up from time to time, once they seem well, eating and pooing , and its occasional I wouldn't worry.

Thanks just I'm at work and so worried although I know she can't be that sick because she literally went straight from the litter tray to eating her nuts. She did eat her wet food quickly this morning, but none of that came up. It was just liquid this evening, no hairballs, just a tiny bit of grass, but she seemed more lethargic than usual which worried me. I adore this little angel so I hate thinking she doesn't feel well 😞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If there's too long a gap between meals she could also possibly be vomiting bile from her stomach getting too empty. Ive seen my cats produce many variations of vomit over the years, none of its turned into anything serious! .They all have the odd off day, I really wouldn't worry.

• Advertisement

Thanks I guess I know it's not serious just hate seeing her being sick. No gap between meals. Her diet has been consistent for years. Constant supply of nuts and one wet food pouch every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Mine chuck up occasionally as well, it tends to be when they've been out all day hunting then come back and stuff their face with nuts then chuck them up! If she's eating and drinking fine I wouldn't panic, it could be a hair ball as others have said, she should shift that by eating grass. Roundworms can irritate their stomach which makes them chuck up but they'd need a lot of them in there, so missing or being late on a dose of wormer shouldn't be a problem unless your cat eats vast quantities of squeakies! Be careful with spot on wormers as I don't think any of them kill tapeworms so you need to give them an oral wormer anyway.
    As she's not bringing up the wet food maybe try feeding just that for a few days to see if it settles her stomach, then reintroduce the nuts gradually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

wouldn't worry about it, cats do vomit often enough, especially hairballs..little bit of fluid could be anything, mine do it often,but there's never any reason to be concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

wouldn't worry about it, cats do vomit often enough, especially hairballs..little bit of fluid could be anything, mine do it often,but there's never any reason to be concerned.

Ditto !
    I have one that is semi feral we took her from the bushes in the airport long story short we got her spayed and wormed her and all the usual but she started getting sick after every time feeding some would be nuts coming up sometimes it would be fluid after two weeks of doing this we went vets with her I have alot of cats and am experienced and wasn't overly worried but we went vets anyway he did all sorts of tests and checked her throat and stomach and nothing came up he said she just has some hairballs in there that she is getting up and some cats get rid of them by doing what I call hacking others get sick.
    She is totally grand eating and drinking fine and filling out nicely so don't worry too much if you had said you saw a change in their behavior not eating at all and sleeping loads then I would say go vets.

Just to say kitty is purrfect now and has not been sick since and is in excellent form. She isn't a hunter, just sits out enjoying the sun during the day when we have it, doesn't catch mice or anything, mainly indoor. I had mentioned the spot on wormer to my vet before but she prefers the milbemax. Anyway just delighted all is well and thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement