Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

March 2017 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Love2love wrote:
    Early myself and my son (10) start singing roof high to Hozier's Take me to church and my belly was visibly flipping! So funny! We've been doing it all day

Aw that's lovely!!!
    I'm good. Starting to get uncomfortable though. Was bound to happen I guess. I feel huuuge!
    And my boobs have started leaking. Anyone else have this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I've read on the Ovia app that the baby is producing hormones to signal lactation. I've not had any yet and I didn't on my previous pregnancies but it's very common. One of the girls on a Facebook group is drench everyday!

I feel huge too!! I'm 28w3d but honestly feel closer to 36w... I feel so slow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm so tired but I can't sleep!

I'm also feeling huge and am getting very slow. My back is quite sore too. Am not looking forward to bring back to work on Tuesday.

Love2love wrote:
    I feel huge too!! I'm 28w3d but honestly feel closer to 36w... I feel so slow!

Yep this is me this week too. I'm 31 weeks and feel like I've grown massively in the last few days. Could be to do with the food too. But had to get hubby to help me off the coych for the first time! Still getting my daily walk in but not walking as far and am a lot slower.

CheerLouth wrote:
    I'm so tired but I can't sleep!

What's with this? I'm exactly the same - it's sooo frustrating. I'm hoping going back to work and being in a routine will help. But also dreading going back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Quick q - at what stage will the doc decide c section if baby is still breech/transverse?
    I'm not even 29 weeks yet, not worried, just wondering. I didn't care last time if it ended with a c section last time but with a toddler I would prefer for it not to happen (I know it could still end that way even with natural labour). Just looking to find out when I should start preparing myself for this news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

VandC wrote: »
    Quick q - at what stage will the doc decide c section if baby is still breech/transverse?
    I'm not even 29 weeks yet, not worried, just wondering. I didn't care last time if it ended with a c section last time but with a toddler I would prefer for it not to happen (I know it could still end that way even with natural labour). Just looking to find out when I should start preparing myself for this news!

Oh no for another good while yet. I think it's only discussed at 36 weeks plus, and even then there's still time for baby to turn (or to be turned with an ECV). My baby was still breech at 29 weeks, but turned head down around 30 weeks (I actually felt him turn around transverse and then head down, which was kinda cool).

dreamstar wrote: »
    What's with this? I'm exactly the same - it's sooo frustrating. I'm hoping going back to work and being in a routine will help. But also dreading going back too.

I know & it only gets worse the further along you get, or at least it did for me last time around and have the feeling it will be the same this time! I spent a lot of nights bouncing on my ball first time around.

I'm the same, VandC. At my last app at 30weeks, baby was breech. 32 weeks today & I think they may have moved back to transverse but honestly, I've no idea. I'm trying to do the spinning babies exercises & sit up properly and not lie on the couch in order to get baba to move. I'm totally dreading the idea of a section!

My baby is breech too! It was at 21 weeks, 24 weeks and still at 28 weeks. I have another scan at the end of the month to check it out. I have been reading up on it and apparently SPD or any issue which causes the misaligning of the pelvis can result in breech as the baby won't be comfortable head down. I don't know how accurate that is though, you know how google is!!

Love2love wrote: »
    My baby is breech too! It was at 21 weeks, 24 weeks and still at 28 weeks. I have another scan at the end of the month to check it out. I have been reading up on it and apparently SPD or any issue which causes the misaligning of the pelvis can result in breech as the baby won't be comfortable head down. I don't know how accurate that is though, you know how google is!!

Don't worry, it's still early days and baby has lots of time to turn. For what it's worth, my baba was breech at 28 weeks, I have SPD, and he turned head down around 30 weeks.

Thanks ladies. I can feel the baby moving between breech and transverse but I know there's loads of time left. Last baby was head down from day one so this is a new experience for me! Hopefully she'll settle soon, head down obvs! Few more weeks before I have to mentally prep for potential news!

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies. I can feel the baby moving between breech and transverse but I know there's loads of time left. Last baby was head down from day one so this is a new experience for me! Hopefully she'll settle soon, head down obvs! Few more weeks before I have to mentally prep for potential news!

I'm the same, last baba was head down from very early on. This is all new for me. Fingers crossed for both of us, VandC!

Whooping Cough vaccination: Who has gotten it? Who intends to get it? I am 29 weeks and I think it has to be administered between 28 and 32 weeks. Were you charged for it? A girl on a facebook group was quoted €85 from her GP to get it done :eek::eek: Others didn't pay anything!

I have booked myself in for next week for it. The receptionist thinks it may not be covered under combined care, she will check it out and let me know. Yet the HSE is recommending all pregnant women get it!

Whooping Cough vaccination: Who has gotten it? Who intends to get it? I am 29 weeks and I think it has to be administered between 28 and 32 weeks. Were you charged for it? A girl on a facebook group was quoted €85 from her GP to get it done :eek::eek: Others didn't pay anything!

I have booked myself in for next week for it. The receptionist thinks it may not be covered under combined care, she will check it out and let me know. Yet the HSE is recommending all pregnant women get it!

85euro!!! :eek::eek: That's robbery!

I got it done at 28weeks, it was fine. GP charged me 20euro administration charge for it.

I know! I couldn't believe it!!

I have a medical cover paid by the French government (Hubby is French and was in the Army) so I won't have to pay anything but I just think it is absolute robbery to charge €85 when others get it free!

Love2love wrote:
    Whooping Cough vaccination: Who has gotten it? Who intends to get it? I am 29 weeks and I think it has to be administered between 28 and 32 weeks. Were you charged for it? A girl on a facebook group was quoted €85 from her GP to get it done Others didn't pay anything!

I got it. 85e is defo a mistake. It's not covered under maternity care - I was charged 15 for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I recall I paid €65 for whioping cough vaccine and the flu one- €35 for one and €30 for the other.

I thought the vaccine was free but visit to the nurse charged

I think I paid €50 for mine

Beanybabog wrote:
    I thought the vaccine was free but visit to the nurse charged

I got mine while in a routine appointment with my GP and was just charged 15. Wasn't charged for the flu one though. Strange that it differs so much.

CheerLouth wrote:
    I got it done at 28weeks, it was fine. GP charged me 20euro administration charge for it.

Same here

Am definitely slowing down now! 32+3, went to the gym this evening and I was so slow compared to everyone else and felt the size of a whale! Oh well, c'est la vie :)

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Am definitely slowing down now! 32+3, went to the gym this evening and I was so slow compared to everyone else and felt the size of a whale! Oh well, c'est la vie :)

Oh wow! Gym?! I get exhausted going to the shop!! Fair play to you! I know I'll really regret not pushing myself to be more active but I've SPD and at 29 weeks I've managed to stay the same weight. I swim sometimes but honestly the thought of coming out into the cold wintery weather after turns me right off! I honestly cannot wait to go for a big long power walk with music blaring in my ears but for the moment I struggle walking to work!

You ladies have me feeling guilty at my laziness! With long hours in work, young toddler, and back pain I just haven't got it in me. I feel I may regret not finding the energy to exercise after the birth! Am defo gonna find the energy to get up off my lazy ass.

Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare a 16 month old for a new sibling? Everybody keeps asking me how is she taking to it, but honestly, I haven't started preparing her at all. I feel she is too young to grasp what is too come, but maybe I'm wrong. Any tips much appreciated.

I'm not doing anything amazing, girls! Im trying to keep the weight gaining check cos otherwise, I'd have three stone on lol!

I'm in the same boat, VandC, we have a 2 year old and am trying to prep her. She has a bit more understanding and she knows that mammy has a baby in her tummy but she has no idea really what is coming! The thoughts of turning her little world upside down fills me with guilt! We got a story book called "there's a house iinside my mummy" which is good.

Love2love wrote:
    I know I'll really regret not pushing myself to be more active but I've SPD and at 29 weeks I've managed to stay the same weight. I swim sometimes but honestly the thought of coming out into the cold wintery weather after turns me right off! I honestly cannot wait to go for a big long power walk with music blaring in my ears but for the moment I struggle walking to work!

Omg you've stayed the same weight??? Wow!
    I've kept quite active. I do a walk every day. Tgey are getting shorter and slower but still get out. And do yoga and aqua aerobics.
    And I know I'm pregnant but I have put on almost 2 stone and sometimes it really gets me down. When I go up to the next stone bracket I do get a bit disheartened. I guess christmas didn't help that. Just trying to focus on the healthy eating now.

I've kept quite active. I do a walk every day. Tgey are getting shorter and slower but still get out. And do yoga and aqua aerobics.
    And I know I'm pregnant but I have put on almost 2 stone and sometimes it really gets me down. When I go up to the next stone bracket I do get a bit disheartened. I guess christmas didn't help that. Just trying to focus on the healthy eating now.

Dreamstar, I've stayed the same weight because I've attended Slimming World every week and I'm also attending the dietician in Holles St at my own request. I'm already overweight so I need to monitor it. The fact that you've stayed so active will be so beneficial when you've had the baby, it will be much easier to bounce back to a more active routine. I made the huge mistake of giving everything up while pregnant on my daughter that it took 2 years to get back to myself and it really got me down however I don't think anyone should be getting themselves down over weight gain through pregnancy once what you are eating is healthy and staying as active as you possibly can, that all you should be concentrating on. You've been through a huge amount the last couple of years and you need to give yourself a break, you're doing your best!!

Thanks love2love and well done on your determination!!!! It's very easy to get carried away while pregnant.

Dreamstar, I've stayed the same weight because I've attended Slimming World every week and I'm also attending the dietician in Holles St at my own request

Fair play to you, Love2love! You are obviously very focused! I've been doing slimming world too but not with such dedication! I've put on nearly 2 stone which I find disheartening because ii had lost 1.5 stone last year but I know I'll lose it again. I go and get weighed every week to try keep myself in check! My mam finds it astounding that they never weigh us at an antenatal appointment - they did it every app in her day!

CheerLouth wrote:
    My mam finds it astounding that they never weigh us at an antenatal appointment - they did it every app in her day!

Yeah to be honest I find that really weird too! I thought they were supposed to track your weight. I literally haven't been weighed since my booking appointment at 6 weeks!!!

I've put on about 2 stone too. I think that's in or around average though. But no harm to keep an eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I put on around 7kg until now (sorry, I've never learned the Imperial system in Mainland Europe :D ).
    I think the weight is really something where tracking is kind of a double-edged sword: Every woman puts weight on during pregnancy in a different way and some doctors start to stress around with +5 kg, others say nothing at all. When you have a negative glucose test there is not that much you can do in the end, some women just gain weight like caterpillars.
    In my first pregnancy I started with 50kg and ended up with 77 on the day I gave birth; it was mid summer with 37 degrees Celsius and every woman on the ward was basically water. Lost it all during the year after birth again without too much exercise.

But as dreamstar says, no harm to keep an eye and mad respect to everyone still attending the gym or keeping a fairly strict diet! You're all troopers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I was weighed at every gp & midwife appointment having my son in 2014/2015.

I constantly questioned why/how I'd put on 3 stone when I was still pretty slim, had almost no bump until 30+ weeks and hadn't eaten an extraordinary amount, they always brushed it off. Turns out I had over two stone of fluid from pre eclampsia, I bloody knew the weight gain was weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jellybeanmom

Anyone else killed with heartburn / indigestion? I'm 28 weeks and in agony!!!! Never has it on my last pregnancy. I've tried gaviscon yesterday and today...any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Anyone else killed with heartburn / indigestion? I'm 28 weeks and in agony!!!! Never has it on my last pregnancy. I've tried gaviscon yesterday and today...any tips?

I've been taking gaviscon since about week 14. At about 28 weeks even gaviscon wasn't working anymore so I got a prescription for ranitidine. I don't take it every day because I don't like taking medication during pregnancy unless I can't manage without it. I keep it for nights when it's so bad that the gavison doesn't work.

My husband raised the head of the bed up onto blocks of wood so the whole bed is at a slope. That has helped a bit. I also don't eat anything for at least 3 hours before lying down. During the day I eat small amounts regularly instead of normal meals.

It's made a huge difference but even with all of this, it's still quite bad at times. The worst thing is that I can't drink water during the night because that brings it on really badly. I always wake up thirsty but am afraid to drink in case I get a bad spell of it.

If yours is only starting now you might be luckier, hopefully! Do talk to the doctor though, if it's bad enough.

I was weighed at every gp & midwife appointment having my son in 2014/2015.

I constantly questioned why/how I'd put on 3 stone when I was still pretty slim, had almost no bump until 30+ weeks and hadn't eaten an extraordinary amount, they always brushed it off. Turns out I had over two stone of fluid from pre eclampsia, I bloody knew the weight gain was weird!

That is crazy! How did they not cop that on?! Hope everything was ok in the end!

I'm the same, Dreamstar, haven't been weighed since my booking app at 12weeks and that was only to make sure that my BMI was low enough to qualify for the MLU. On my first pregnancy, I didn't weigh myself at all so this time, I am trying to keep myself in check - it doesn't always work though!

Yep, although mine has eased off a bit. I take a spoonful of Gaivscon every night before bed and that gets me through till morning. It's not so bad during the day - I alternate between Rennies and Gaviscon. Both are equally horrid imo!

I get weighed at every appointment, everyone in Holles St does as far as I know. You get weighed and given your pee cup from the midwife before you see the doctors.

Just had another appointment this morning. All is well, bloods, blood pressure, iron levels, urine is all perfect! Baby is head down. My SPD has ease up somewhat and I'm feeling very healthy (for today at least :D)

I get weighed at every appointment, everyone in Holles St does as far as I know. You get weighed and given your pee cup from the midwife before you see the doctors

I'm a public patient in Holles street and have only been weighed twice - at my 12 week booking appt and my 30 week appt. I'm 38+4 now and attend every two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,674 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wasn't weighed at all throughout pregnancy

I was only weighed at my booking appointment. My BMI was 32 then so I'm surprised they haven't wanted to keep an eye on it. I don't know how much I've put on because I'm afraid to check!

I can't do any exercise at all because my SPD is so extreme - my physio said I'm way worse than the majority of people ever get. I can't walk at all and can barely make it for 5 mins even on crutches. I can't even get my legs into the bed or car without my husband's help. It does really get me down because I was so intent on staying fit and healthy during the pregnancy but instead I'm more or less bed ridden and, effectively, I feel totally disabled.

My baby is massive as well but I passed the glucose test so they don't seem worried, but I am! I was really hoping for a vbac but there are so many things against me now - my age, weight, previous obstetric history, previous section at only 25 weeks so scar will be more stretched, baby's size, and also baby is still breech now at 31 weeks (but the size of a 33 week old so not much room to turn).

I have a phobia of surgery and only got through it last time because I was so traumatised and full of adrenalin, I couldn't really take in what was going on. On the other hand, I'm also terrified of uterine rupture or stillbirth with a vbac.

Sorry for moaning! If anyone has anything reassuring to say about either vbac or delivery by section I'd appreciate it!

Oh waterfaerie you poor thing, your SPD sounds awful! I have it too but thankfully nowhere near as bad. I can't imagine how frustrated you must feel. It must really be affecting your sleep too. I hope the next 9 weeks go by quickly for you.

SPD as severe as yours would also make a VBAC more difficult - just holding your legs in position like that would be so painful (like I said, it's sore for me and I'm not nearly as bad). I think if I was you, all those things considered, I'd be going for the path of least resistance and that which will be safest for baby... probably a c section?!. I'm sure your doctors will advise appropriately, they are the real experts.

Thanks, catrionanic. I keep telling myself that the lack of sleep is good practice for what's to come!

My consultant is fairly useless. He has been great in terms of being extra vigilant and he's really keeping a close eye on my baby, but he's not the best to talk to. He doesn't really take in what's asked when I have a question. He has hinted that they will probably want me not to go past 40 weeks, or possibly even 39, so if I don't go into labour by then, I'm fairly limited.

How safe is a second c section, though? I've heard there's more risk of complications than there is with a first one. It will probably stop me from having another baby after this because I'll know a section is the only option and a third one is riskier again.

I know they do them all the time and it's fairly routine at this stage but it's so unnatural and so frightening. I also had a very difficult recovery last time.

I suppose if the baby stays breech the choice will be out of my hands anyway.

I got weighed this morning and on every visit. What do you guys do in the midwife's office then? Or do you just collect your pee cup yourself? Actually now I think of it, I more or less just jumped up on the scales first thing so maybe they had no intention of taking it :D She did however write it down in my chart and commented on it. We had a little natter about Slimming World then :)

Oh god waterfaerie, so sorry to hear about your SPD. I have it too and have been attending physio since week 14 but I finally feel this week that it's more manageable (we'll see for how long though! ) I found the iced sanitary pads were a god send! No advice of VBAC unfortunately but surely an elective C-section is much more controlled and safer than say going through labour and it ending in one anyway. I really feel for you. Don't be too hard on yourself about how active you are, you can only do your best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

CheerLouth wrote: »
    That is crazy! How did they not cop that on?! Hope everything was ok in the end!

They only copped it when my feet absolutely ballooned with swelling, but I had been saying for ages that my hands were swollen. I have quite skinny bony hands normally so they kept saying they weren't that swollen, but for me they were. All worked out ok in the end, I won't bore you with the more dramatic details :)

I got weighed this morning and on every visit. What do you guys do in the midwife's office then?

Yeah it's weird. I'm in Holles St and they never weigh me in the midwife's office. They usually just ask how I'm feeling, talk through any questions and give me the pee cup! :D

Waterfaerie I know you are worried about the second section but I know so many people who have had 2, 3 some even 4 sections. They are so common now that the risks would be minimal. It's amazing how quick your body can recover from surgeries etc. But talk through any concerns with your consultant, midwife, gp or friends. Whoever you feel most comfortable with.

I had a growth scan yesterday! And thank god all is going so well. Baby is looking good and is head down. And weighs a whopping 4 lb 14! :eek: I'm only 32 + 3. This worried me a little but they weren't concerned at all. Have my clinic appointment on Wednesday. Feel like I haven't been in the hospital in AGES so it feels good to check in.

Hi Ladies - Hope all is well with everyone.

I got weighed in Slimming World last night and I put on 1.5lb so it's all finally caught up with me I suppose. Maybe they weigh me in Holles Street because I am overweight? I did read something recently from the HSE regarding weight gain in pregnancy and how too much emphasis is being put on it. Maybe its a new policy to only weigh those who are considered overweight or who's weight might cause problems with the pregnancy - like Gestational Diabetes and high blood pressure?

Has everyone sent off their Maternity Leave forms yet? Apparently there is a backlog since December and some people on my March babies Facebook page have started their leave and have yet to get paid :eek: I sent mine in at the start of December and got a text to say they received the application but nothing since. I'm ok though as I don't go on Leave officially until the 6th March. I've 2 weeks A/L booked before that though so I finish in 5 weeks. It's crazy to think March is only 7 weeks away! Who is the first due here? I'm due on the 24th March so plenty of you to go before me :)

Has everyone sent off their Maternity Leave forms yet? Apparently there is a backlog since December and some people on my March babies Facebook page have started their leave and have yet to get paid :eek: I sent mine in at the start of December and got a text to say they received the application but nothing since. I'm ok though as I don't go on Leave officially until the 6th March. I've 2 weeks A/L booked before that though so I finish in 5 weeks. It's crazy to think March is only 7 weeks away! Who is the first due here? I'm due on the 24th March so plenty of you to go before me :)

Hmmm I hadn't heard about this delay. Mine works slightly different because I hand everything into work. They pay me as normal and they claim the benefit. So I'd better check that they've sent it on. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh and 1 1/2 lbs is nothing to worry about. You've done so good keeping an eye on things so don't panic.

I'm due March 4th so it's FLYING IN. They had talked about inducing me early as I am blood thinners but that was at the very beginning so not sure if that is still the case. Have a hospital appointment today so will hopefully find out more. Still feeling great though thank god!

I sent in my forms in mid November, started maternity leave at the end of December and I haven't been paid yet. I never got any text to say they received my application, so now I'm a bit worried. I didn't know they sent texts. Going to ring up and check now.

I sent in my forms in mid November, started maternity leave at the end of December and I haven't been paid yet. I never got any text to say they received my application, so now I'm a bit worried. I didn't know they sent texts. Going to ring up and check now.

Oh really? Let us know what they say. That is worrying......and super annoying!

Oh god waterfaerie, so sorry to hear about your SPD. I have it too and have been attending physio since week 14 but I finally feel this week that it's more manageable (we'll see for how long though! ) I found the iced sanitary pads were a god send! No advice of VBAC unfortunately but surely an elective C-section is much more controlled and safer than say going through labour and it ending in one anyway. I really feel for you. Don't be too hard on yourself about how active you are, you can only do your best.
    Waterfaerie I know you are worried about the second section but I know so many people who have had 2, 3 some even 4 sections. They are so common now that the risks would be minimal. It's amazing how quick your body can recover from surgeries etc. But talk through any concerns with your consultant, midwife, gp or friends. Whoever you feel most comfortable with.

Thanks for the support. :) I'm trying to reframe my thinking and be more positive. As long as I have a healthy baby at the end, it will all be worth it, whatever way it happens!

Oh really? Let us know what they say. That is worrying......and super annoying!

I'm on hold now. "Your current wait time is 30 minutes"!!!

I sent my form in before Christmas & got the text too. Haven't heard anything yet, but officially, my Mat Leave doesn't start until Feb 20th so plenty of time yet.

That said, I had a GP appointment yesterday & I'll be finishing work early next week. It's just too much now - dealing with a toddler, near constant back pain, getting up at 6am, not home until after 5 & I'm quite frequently on my own as my OH works away a lot. I need a break. Other than that, everything is well. Baby has turned to head down which I'm delighted about! I was freaking out over him/her being breech at the last appointment.

Well, I finally got through and they have my application. No explanation as to why they never texted me but I'm relieved they have it. They said it will be at least another two weeks because they have a backlog. It must be some backlog because they've had my application for almost two months now and haven't even looked at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement