Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

March 2017 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm at the point where going downstairs to the kitchen is soooo exhausting. That plus I'm pretty sleep deprived.

But actually my man and I are going to leave the boy with his parents and go off for a pamper weekend to a lovely hotel in Monaghan for a little bit alone-time before baby arrives. Also he starts his new job on Monday afterwards.

Yesterday I washed all the newborn clothes, that makes it all pretty real. We also re-arranged our bedroom with a new wardrobe and now have a lot more space.

Tomorrow I have my midwife appointment and we'll see if she turned or not. By now I guess I really tried everything I can on my own but I'm quite certain she's still head up. If so, I need to go to the GP next week and he needs to refer me then back to the hospital. Please baby, doooo the fliiiiip!

But the biggest surprise was to find out my little sister is actually pregnant :D It was a big shock for her since she's 24 and just in the middle of her education, plus she's at home in Austria with very little family around (we're a small family and I moved to Ireland, my Mother and stepdad live in Spain). Also she's seeing the guy for only half a year by now and he lives in Vienna, she lives two hours away in Graz. But after the first shock she decided she'll definitely keep the baby, also the father said, he'll back her up. And tomorrow she's heading for her first scan, she must be approx. 7 weeks pregnant by now.
    I'm so excited because I'm not only going to be mom soon, but also aunt and all of that in one year :D
    Just really hope all is going well for her and I'm so proud of her, because her situation could be easier but she's such a trooper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

LirW wrote:
    Tomorrow I have my midwife appointment and we'll see if she turned or not. By now I guess I really tried everything I can on my own but I'm quite certain she's still head up. If so, I need to go to the GP next week and he needs to refer me then back to the hospital. Please baby, doooo the fliiiiip!

Good luck tomorrow and big congrats to your sister. Very exciting!

I was back in the hospital today and all is going so straight forward I can't quite believe it. Bloods were fine and back to normal, blood pressure perfect and baby happy and head down.
    They had mentioned that as I'm on blood thinning injections I may need to be induced a bit early. But they seem very happy with me and said they don't like you going too far over but that as long as everything's ok I shouldn't need to be brought in early. And they don't see a need for a section. So I'm happy with that!
    The ONLY thing they said was I should keep an eye on my weight! Morto! They said you shouldn't really pit on more than 2 1/2 stone and I'm just coming up to that. Eeek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm on my second week at home now and I swear I'm more tired than when I was working! Everything that I left to do when I finished work has finally caught up on me and I'm frantically trying to get everything done! I've got the baby clothes washed and ironed and put away, hospital bag is 90% packed, have packed a bag for the little one in case we need to ship her off urgently to her grandparents, I've washed the carseat & pram covers, tidied out the spare room, been to Ikea to get some toy storage which Mr. Louth will be putting together at the weekend, then I need to do a toy cleanout & I've been trying to batch cook some dinners to keep us covered in the first few weeks of being a foursome! The only thing is that I have been able to have a nap most days which has been great as sleep has gone out the window at night time!

Scan tomorrow to check the placenta location but Im so looking forward to seeing our little ninja again :D I had an app last week in the MLU and not back there until 37 weeks now! Just under five weeks (fingers crossed) left for me now - I'm both excited and nervous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I knew that relaxing massage comment would get you all talking! Ha!

I'm 32w today and I've a growth scan on Monday but I'm not back with consultant for another 3 weeks when I'll be 35w... seems rather long in between appointments for this stage! But if they're not concerned, then I'm not!

Does anyone else feel the closer it gets, the more work you have to do? I'm seriously stressed trying to sort out work so i can finish up (audit & financial monitoring visits which nobody else is able to do in my job!) trying to fit them in whilst preparing everything for the new person coming in as I'm taking 2 weeks A/L before I go so I won't meet them. Then I've exams / assignments in college at the moment which it torture because I'm not sleeping and can't seem to concentrate! I'm suppose to be studying right now but here I am, lacking serious motivation! I've still not packed my hospital bag. I have most things for baby but not a lot for me as I just haven't had the time to go into M&S and get measured for my nursing bras and I haven't even picked up the granny knickers! Slightly starting to panic! I'll be like this for the next 3 weeks anyway and once I'm over that, it's plain sailing right? :D:D

Love2love wrote:
    I'm 32w today and I've a growth scan on Monday but I'm not back with consultant for another 3 weeks when I'll be 35w... seems rather long in between appointments for this stage! But if they're not concerned, then I'm not!

Don't worry at all about this. I'm 34 weeks and not due back for 3 weeks when I'll be 37!!! I figure it's a good sign they don't want to see me. And there's always your GP in the mean time. Plus if you are concerned about ANYTHTING just go in.

As for getting everything done - don't panic. I only got everything for my hospital bag last week. Got it all in the one day. STILL not packed it!!! I was so worried about remembering everything but as my mam kept saying there will be people visiting you who'll be happy to pick up stuff you've forgotten.

So just try and relax. Once you do finish work it will be a huge weight off. I'm working right up to the two weeks before......regretting that now as I'm struggling with the tiredness. But less than 3 weeks left thank god.

Had my scan today - all grand, baby is weighing in at 5lb 13oz and placenta is clear out of the way so all set now for D-day :)

CheerLouth wrote:
    Had my scan today - all grand, baby is weighing in at 5lb 13oz and placenta is clear out of the way so all set now for D-day

Amazing! Delighted for yous!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

It's great to hear everyone is doing well.

LirW how did you get on? Did your baby turn?

I was in today and baby is still doing well and still huge! I've decided on the c-section and have a date set now and everything. Just over 5 weeks to go. It's all very real now! I've also kept in mind that if baby decides to come earlier, that will be her way of telling me she wants to come naturally so I'll try and go with the labour in that case.

I feel so sorry for those of you still working. I can't even imagine it! I've been off for months. Just going to the shop takes it all out of me.

My maternity benefit finally came through but that was after an email and couple of phone calls from my husband who got them to hurry up. So maybe be prepared to wait about a month after you start your leave before you get anything.

My maternity benefit finally came through but that was after an email and couple of phone calls from my husband who got them to hurry up. So maybe be prepared to wait about a month after you start your leave before you get anything.

That's interesting to hear. I got a text between Christmas and New Year to say my application had been received but nothing further since. I think I'll ring them on Monday and see what the story is. My leave doesn't start until Feb 20 but prob no harm to see how far back in the queue I am.

I feel so sorry for those of you still working. I can't even imagine it! I've been off for months. Just going to the shop takes it all out of me.

I am super jelous - I won't lie. How did you finish so early?
    I kinda had no choice. Can't go sick coz I'll be straight on half pay as I was off sick most of last year so I'd have to start my actual maternity leave early and don't want to use it up beforehand. But would LOVE to be off!

• Advertisement

Most of it was pregnancy related sick leave but I started maternity leave a month ago. My pregnancy is very high risk so there was no way I could risk working during it.

Most of it was pregnancy related sick leave but I started maternity leave a month ago. My pregnancy is very high risk so there was no way I could risk working during it.

Yeah you're totally right to get as much time as possible. If I hadn't used up all my sick leave I'd do the exact same.
    Although I'm not too bad I guess. Can cope with the tiredness. Just can't manage much in the evenings!!!

Oh girls! I've been having so much trouble with insomnia lately that last night I decided I'd get up and watch the TV instead of just lying there for hours. So I decided to watch recordings of One Born Every Minute - whatever you do, don't do that!! I've traumatised myself so much I don't think I'll manage to sleep until after the birth :D

Well you are not alone, Love2love, I haven't had a full night's sleep all week. Was up last night from 3.30 until about 6, was just back in a nice sleep when I heard "Mammy, I want to get up" at 6.45 wah!!! My husband has been away for work since Wednesday so I had to get up, I'm like a zombie! Going for a rest now as soon as my little one does!

In a side note,I used to love One Born Every Minute, but since I was pregnant first time around, I can't bring myself to watch it. I'm a wimp lol

Good afternoon, Ladies! :D

I'm back from our weekend away, it was absolutely gorgeous (Seriously, go to Castle Leslie, it is more than fab). They have magical insomnia-curing beds, I swear!

Baby still lying head up, not the slightest indication of turning anywhere :rolleyes:

Before I went I had the midwives apt in the clinic and we talked about the breech thing. She gives me another two weeks until my GP appointment to see if the baby finally turned or not. First she was all cool about it, then she realised I'll be almost 36 weeks along at that point so she told me to ring asap after the GP appointment if the baby is still breech and they'll bring me into the Rotunda the week afterwards to have a scan to decide if they book me in for an elective straight away or maybe they try to do a turn.
    Then the midwife said that the chances are 50/50 that she'll actually stay head down if the turn is successful.
    She told me to have my chart close to me anytime because if my water breaks or I have the feeling I'm in labour I need to go to the hospital straight away anyway.

However, on Saturday I received a text from the Rotunda, that I have an appointment before my actual GP appointment, gonna call tomorrow and find out if it was the confused midwife booking me in for that ;)

If the consultant there wants to try performing an outside turn I decided as much as I always wished for a normal birth, I'll rather tell him I do want an elective section. I thought quite a bit about it and it does not feel right with a mediocre chance of it to succeed and then only 50% chance for the baby to actually stay that way. I had such a physically demanding pregnancy this time that I do not want to put up with any other worries, burden or pain.
    I just hope the consultant will understand :(

I hope you ladies have a nice rest weekend!

LirW wrote:
    I just hope the consultant will understand

I know it's hard but if you really do / don't want something you need to make them understand. Unless they have a very valid reason for going against your wishes I'd stick with it. As you said there's a chance you could go through that only for babs to turn again.
    Hopefully it will resolve itself but stick with your gut feeling.

Hi ladies,

How are we?

Had a growth scan today and baby is perfect for 32w at 4lb2oz

Also had my combined care appointment with my GP who's put me on antibiotics for a sinus infection :( I'm happy to think I may get some more sleep now though... I was thinking that from Wednesday we'all be able to say we are due next month! How quickly it passes!

Love2love wrote:
    Also had my combined care appointment with my GP who's put me on antibiotics for a sinus infection I'm happy to think I may get some more sleep now though... I was thinking that from Wednesday we'all be able to say we are due next month! How quickly it passes!

Hope you feel better soon. Yeah it's so strange - like it's flown in but I feel like I've been pregnant forever. I'm really trying to enjoy it all but I feel like all the symptoms I had escaped all hit me at once last weekend. Swollen hands, sore wrists, awful heartburn, sore back and the tiredness! But then I feel babs wriggle around and I feel amazing. Will really miss all the little tummy kicks!

Am 35 weeks 3 days now! Eeek. Bag packed, nursery ready and buggy etc being delivered Thursday! Sooooo excited!!!!

How are you all feeling???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Dreamstar have you carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrists? Splints from physio really help if you do.

• Advertisement

Dreamstar have you carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrists? Splints from physio really help if you do.

I think it could be coz it is worse at night. I mentioned it to my gp and he said it usually just goes away after birth. It's not bad enough to need physio but will defo keep an eye on it.

No I didn't get physio, my gp just sent me to see physio who gave me splints. They helped straight away that night, I barely had any pain from then on. It's a bit mean for the doctor just say yeah it goes after birth deal with it til then!

No I didn't get physio, my gp just sent me to see physio who gave me splints. They helped straight away that night, I barely had any pain from then on. It's a bit mean for the doctor just say yeah it goes after birth deal with it til then!

Well I guess I didn't really push it because I just wasn't bothered going to the physio. I just can't take any more appointments! :D
    And did you just wear the splints at night? Might see if I can even get some in Boots or something. Did you get it in both wrists?

Yeah wore them at night, it was such great relief. I was lucky in that my gp and hospital are very close and I just popped up and got them very quickly, the chemists here are all very small and expensive so free was good!

Good morning,

I'm just about to make a list of things I still need to get (my life is all lists now because my brain is as useful as a portion of mashed potatoes). Just so outraged over the cost of nursery tops, jesus christ!

Other than that I really do feel like a walrus by now. Swollen fingers, it's all sore and going from the parking space across the street to the school every morning with my boy feels like a day trip. I'm not going to mention that the school is just a kilometer away from the house, but I still drive because the way is just slightly uphill and I can't do at that point anymore... it's embarrassing!

And on top of that: I caught a bug! So I'm in bed and grumpy and by now I claim this as my prerogative! :D

We had the second try of the 3D-scan yesterday and finally she was willing to show her face and what can I say... beside of being absolutely adorable she looks like a litte Lir-copy. My mom send a picture yesterday from when I was a baby, it could be me, it's scary.

Hope you're all doing well, it's not too long anymore, Ladies!

LirW wrote: »
    We had the second try of the 3D-scan yesterday and finally she was willing to show her face and what can I say... beside of being absolutely adorable she looks like a litte Lir-copy. My mom send a picture yesterday from when I was a baby, it could be me, it's scary.

That's so awesome! Lovely to know what she looks like! We had a scan last week but I couldn't make heads nor tails of it! Will have to wait for the surprise! My little girl is the spit of her dad so I'm hoping that Number 2 has taken a bit more of my gene pool :D:D

For anyone interested in Maternity Benefit update - I've just rung them and she said they are currently one to two weeks behind and are dealing with requests for the week of Jan 21st. She said they are doing overtime to try to catch up but it'll be another few weeks before I hear anything.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    And on top of that: I caught a bug! So I'm in bed and grumpy and by now I claim this as my prerogative! :D

Aw that's so exciting you got to see her little face! I never got the 3D scan done but I'd say it's amazing. I even find the regular scans amazing!

Hope you feel better soon though!

Anyone found anywhere that does nice nursery curtains??? I can't find any nice ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Not nursery curtains per se, but I got curtains for the little one's nursery in harry Corry. Got black out curtains, they had a nice selection of colours and sizes, reasonably priced too. That was a year ago though, but can't imagine they would have gotten rid of the selection.

Dreamstar have you tried Guineys for nursery curtains? I believe they do some lovely ones for a nursery. I haven't gotten that far yet myself but it will probably be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Don't buy nursery curtains because they look pretty! You will be cursing them in 6 months time. Go for blackout curtains in a funky colour that match the room. Nursery curtains are generally white with pretty designs but useless as actual curtains!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I got plain cream blackout curtains in Homestore & More, Dreamstar. They had other colours as well. They are quite good, but our curtain pole is quite far from the window so I ended up getting black out blinds for the summer months and middle of the day naps.

Next month guys!! Next Month!! Woohoo!!

Love2love wrote: »
    Next month guys!! Next Month!! Woohoo!!

Scary! When is everyone due? I'm the 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Not due until 22nd. Feels close and yet so far

I'm on the 24th!

Feb 28th here! But fully expecting a march baby! Hopefully will only go over by a day or two, I'm relying on the old adage of second babies come quicker!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Feb 28th here! But fully expecting a march baby! Hopefully will only go over by a day or two, I'm relying on the old adage of second babies come quicker!

I was a week early on my 1st and 2 weeks late on my 2nd! Hopefully it's not too long over, it's absolute torture!

I'm the 4th!!! Can't wait but don't want pregnancy to end either. Loving my bump and kicks. But can't wait to meet baby!

• Advertisement

I was a week early on my 1st and 2 weeks late on my 2nd! Hopefully it's not too long over, it's absolute torture!

Oh gosh, that's probably worse. I went over by a week on my first hence why I'm expecting the same again. In spite of that, I'm practically counting the hours to my due date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Abrean

I'm not until the 30th so I'm really hoping for a March baby but I guess realistically I have to prepare myself for it to be April (secretly hoping I go early though because I've just been so sick and in so much pain once baby hits 37 weeks I'll be happy to have him on the outside!)

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Oh gosh, that's probably worse. I went over by a week on my first hence why I'm expecting the same again. In spite of that, I'm practically counting the hours to my due date!

You know I wonder if the ball has anything to do with it.... I was using it all through pregnancy one for my SPD but on my second, I didn't get one until near the due date... I'm going to get on it every single night from now on, see if it makes a difference!

You know I wonder if the ball has anything to do with it.... I was using it all through pregnancy one for my SPD but on my second, I didn't get one until near the due date... I'm going to get on it every single night from now on, see if it makes a difference!

Interesting to see. I know a girl at work who was told to not use it until 38 weeks cos it might trigger things. I've been using it on and off for a good while now cos my back was in bits and our couch is rubbish. But in the last two weeks, we've gotten an IKEA armchair which I've been sitting on instead. I must make a conscious effort to get on the ball more often.

Finally packed my hospital bag yesterday after another lady on my Facebook group had her baby at 33 weeks which is what I am now...
    I figured I had everything in but I actually went out yesterday and spent €150 on nursing bras, granny knickers, nightwear and toiletries! I'm so glad I've gotten it done now

Finally packed my hospital bag yesterday after another lady on my Facebook group had her baby at 33 weeks which is what I am now...
    I figured I had everything in but I actually went out yesterday and spent €150 on nursing bras, granny knickers, nightwear and toiletries! I'm so glad I've gotten it done now

Wohoo! It's such a relief to get it done isn't it? Where did you end up getting your nursing bras? I looked around for ages for a cheap pair but ended up having to go to M&S. They were €44 for two. I guess not too bad but I had seen them in Penneys at one stage for much cheaper but just couldn't find them.

Did you fit everything in one bag? I just couldn't. :D
    Gosh it's getting real now isn't it? I've less than 4 weeks to go! :eek::eek:

Dreanstar I found the Penneys ones crap if it's any consolation :) Mothercare is good for them, during the sales theyre dirt cheap.

Dreanstar I found the Penneys ones crap if it's any consolation :) Mothercare is good for them, during the sales theyre dirt cheap.

:D:D That does make me feel better. Have to say the M&S ones are super comfy so I guess it worked out well. Will have to try mothercare! Thanks.

dreamstar wrote: »
    Wohoo! It's such a relief to get it done isn't it? Where did you end up getting your nursing bras? I looked around for ages for a cheap pair but ended up having to go to M&S. They were €44 for two. I guess not too bad but I had seen them in Penneys at one stage for much cheaper but just couldn't find them.

Did you fit everything in one bag? I just couldn't. :D
    Gosh it's getting real now isn't it? I've less than 4 weeks to go! :eek::eek:

I went for M&S too! I think they are the best one to be honest! I didn't see any in Penneys although I got a lovely nursing nightie for €10 in there and a light maternity dressing gown for the labour ward so not a complete write off :D

It was suggested on the website to have 2 bags. One for labour and one for your hospital stay, leave that one in the car until you are shifted down to the wards so your not falling over it. I also have a ziplock bag with a nappy, cotton wool, vest, babygro, cardigan, hat, mittens in my labour bag so that it can be handed to the midwife to dress the baby while i'm delivering the placenta etc. I just find it easier than trying to instruct himself what to give her etc! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I also have a ziplock bag with a nappy, cotton wool, vest, babygro, cardigan, hat, mittens in my labour bag so that it can be handed to the midwife to dress the baby while i'm delivering the placenta etc. I just find it easier than trying to instruct himself what to give her etc! :pac:
    Most people don't dress baby straight away. Usually Mam or Dad would do a couple of hours akin to skin with baby.

Advertisement