Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

March 2017 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

dreamstar wrote: »
    Anyone gotten the flu jab? Got mine yesterday and just feel EXHAUSTED today! Just wondering could it be from that?

I had it done about a month ago... didn't notice that I was particularly tired after (no more than the usual pregnancy tiredness!) it's still kinda sore when the injection site is, maybe sensitive is a better word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I had two nights on my first in OLOL and they were so nice. Think I was spoiled to be honest. The ward wasn't that busy so it was grand, got plenty of time with the midwives etc. Will just see how things go, very early days yet to be worrying about it I suppose! 25 weeks tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jellybeanmom

Super super emotional today, I am 20w 4d, I don't remember feeling like this on my first! Bursting out crying at my desk for no reason....my poor (male) boss looking at me out of the corner of his eye, half afraid!!

Any one else feeling emotional??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Yes.....but the angry sort unfortunately. Gave out to my hubby for not hoovering and went a bit mad. Don't worry it's normal..... I hope! :-)

Yes.....but the angry sort unfortunately. Gave out to my hubby for not hoovering and went a bit mad. Don't worry it's normal..... I hope! :-)

Yup! It comes and goes. I'm feeling mostly emotional (& guilty) about our little girl not being on her own anymore & not being the 100% focus of our attention, even though the rational side of me knows that it will be good for her to have a sibling!

This made me laugh - one of my friends was like this when she was pregnant - she used to call it "pregnancy rage". :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

CheerLouth wrote:
    This made me laugh - one of my friends was like this when she was pregnant - she used to call it "pregnancy rage".

I have this. In "normal mode" I can be a wagon when annoyed but, my gosh, I've taken it to a whole new level the last few months!! Not sure if I feel sorry for OH or not, but maybe I'm too full of preggo rage to have room for sympathy :D lol

Oh I have the rage also...

Then I feel so so guilty that I get very weepy!!

Girls a question for those who've already given birth... have any of you had pethidine for pain?? I'm looking for experiences? I've given birth twice, once with epidural and once with just gas and air. I never even considered any other method. I don't know anyone who's use it and I'd like to weigh up the options. Also tens machines?? Yay or nay??

Love2love wrote: »
    Girls a question for those who've already given birth... have any of you had pethidine for pain?? I'm looking for experiences? I've given birth twice, once with epidural and once with just gas and air. I never even considered any other method. I don't know anyone who's use it and I'd like to weigh up the options. Also tens machines?? Yay or nay??

I didn't have any pain relief on my first baby because it was very fast (shouted like a banshee for it tho :o). I wasn't going to take the pethidine though as both my mother & sister had it & they spent the entire time vomiting after it. Also, you can't get into the pool for four hours after you have it. I'm not planning on it again this time.
    I have a tens machine that I will be using again. I got it on Done Deal for 30euro I think. It was great while I was at home but when things ramped up, it annoyed me. I did lend it to one of our friends who thought it was brilliant.

• Advertisement

Love2love wrote:

I used both on last labour. I went from 2cm to 10cm very quickly (within minutes) but they had given me the injection in that time. Yes felt pukey but they gave another injection to counteract that so never actually vomited. As soon as I got the injection I was carted down to delivery room, so never needed it (and annoyed that they didn't check me again cos I told them I needed to push before they gave it to me - anyways rant for another day). Spent the labour zoned between contracts but very much on the ball and alert and well capable of pushing with the contractions.
    Also used the tens, was grand for a while and then wanted it off. Similarly, gave it to a friend who had a baby and she loved it.

Had our scan during the week....all perfect thank God! Our three year olds lung problem was diagnosed at 20 week scan so I was so happy that all was OK this time round. Midwife was so lovely, checked all the vitals and then spent a lot of time trying to get good pics of baby's face, they had it pressed right up against uterine wall! She switched to 3d mode and we got some great pics to bring home!

We also got her to write down the gender in a Christmas card, and will open it Christmas eve! Can't wait!

We also told our 3 year old last night....she will be 4 in Feb, I'm not really sure she 'got it' though!

We also got her to write down the gender in a Christmas card, and will open it Christmas eve! Can't wait!

Aw what a lovely idea! Glad all went well for you jellybean!

That's such a lovely idea! Glad to hear everything went well! :)

I'm 26 weeks tomorrow :) Started to get a few bits at the weekend - just cotton wool & maternity pads. Had a look in Dunnes at the newborn stuff. We've loads of neutral stuff from number one, but I want to have something new for their first outfit. Think I might get something in Next though as Dunnes Newborn range is only up to 7lb 6oz & my first baby was 7lb 3oz! Next do a "up to one month" range which are quite good.

So...quick question. I've been feeling loads of movement the last few weeks - some kicks really strong. Usually in the evening.
    But the last two evenings I haven't noticed much. Still feel movement on and off but not as much. Am 25 weeks + 3. Anyone else had this? Should I be worried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

it happens like that just different sleeping patterns. Any time you are worried just have a bottle of lucozade or something and lie down baby usually livens up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Whenever I worry about very little movement I'll get bladder kicks at around 3 in the morning, so there is that :v

I did try the cold drinks, lying on my side, glass of coke etc. My gp advised me to just go in to the hospital and get checked out. So thank god all is fine. Baby had just moved slightly so couldn't feel him / her. So can relax now!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Please don't ever ignore it if you notice a change in movements. Obviously the thing to do is try the cold, sugary drink first but if that doesn't work within a couple of hours, go into the hospital straight away. It happened to me with my first pregnancy and it turned out it wasn't ok and we lost our baby. If I had been a bit further along when it happened, he may have survived because I went in. Many babies are saved because of the mother's vigilance. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Another thing is not to follow the advice they seem to give out here in Ireland about counting to 10 kicks. It's very outdated and not the best way of keeping track. Mothers need to get to know their own baby's pattern and take action if there is any change from that. I find the NHS advice the most useful.

I'm glad you asked your GP and did go in and thankfully your baby is fine. :)

ISo thank god all is fine. Baby had just moved slightly so couldn't feel him / her. So can relax now!

Glad everything is ok, Dreamstar! Always best to be on the safe side!
    Please don't ever ignore it if you notice a change in movements. Obviously the thing to do is try the cold, sugary drink first but if that doesn't work within a couple of hours, go into the hospital straight away. It happened to me with my first pregnancy and it turned out it wasn't ok and we lost our baby. If I had been a bit further along when it happened, he may have survived because I went in. Many babies are saved because of the mother's vigilance. It's better to be safe than sorry.

You poor thing, really sorry for your loss.

Another thing is not to follow the advice they seem to give out here in Ireland about counting to 10 kicks. It's very outdated and not the best way of keeping track. Mothers need to get to know their own baby's pattern and take action if there is any change from that. I find the NHS advice the most useful.

Wow I can't imagine how hard that was for you. I'm so sorry.
    Yes they say 10 kicks in 12 hours. Seems like VERY little to me. Was so glad I just got it checked and have to say they were so nice in there. They did say go with your gut. If it doesn't feel right come in. Hard not to worry about every little thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Yes they say 10 kicks in 12 hours. Seems like VERY little to me. Was so glad I just got it checked and have to say they were so nice in there. They did say go with your gut. If it doesn't feel right come in. Hard not to worry about every little thing.

Is it not 10 kicks in an hour?

10 movements within 2 hours from week 28 +

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

CheerLouth wrote: »
    You poor thing, really sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, it was and still is unimaginably difficult.

I'm pregnant again now for the second time. I've been reading this thread from the start but haven't posted until now as I've been so terrified. I also didn't want to be scaring other people. I just had to say something about the movements because I know from experience, unfortunately, how important it is that people take it seriously.

Thankfully everything looks good for the moment and they're scanning me very regularly. It's amazing how differently I'm being treated this time around actually.
    Beanybabog wrote: »
    Jen44 wrote: »
    10 movements within 2 hours from week 28 +

Like I said, it's not 10 kicks anything. That advice is outdated and I'm amazed they're still giving it out in the hospitals here.

I know this is from the UK but it makes a lot more sense, so here is some info for anyone interested.

http://www.kickscount.org.uk/mums/your-babys-movements/why-not-use-count-to-ten/

"The safest and most reliable method of monitoring baby’s movements is to encourage the mum to get to know her baby’s own pattern of movement."

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Stillbirth/Pages/Prevention.aspx scroll down to the section on monitoring your baby's movements.

"There's no specific number of movements that's considered to be normal. What's important is noticing and telling your midwife about any reduction or change in your baby's normal movements."

My last baby was still moving at least 10 times in 2 hours but it was way less than he used to move and the movements weren't as strong, so we went in. I'm glad that we were able to give him a small chance (even though he didn't make it) and we got to spend a little bit of time with him alive. If we had been using the count to 10 advice we wouldn't have gone in and it would have been a stillbirth.

Beanybabog wrote:

No their advice is 10 in 12 hours. I couldn't believe that either.
    But like others have said my gp advised me that if things don't feel right - get it checked.

And so third trimester sleeplessness begins in earnest - yawn. Work is not going to be fun today. Was feeling anxious earlier as baby didn't move a lot during the day, he or she literally started doing some sort of aerobics the minute I lay down in bed and has yet to stop lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,674 ✭✭✭✭fits

Welll youre not the only one if its any consolation.

And so third trimester sleeplessness begins in earnest - yawn. Work is not going to be fun today. Was feeling anxious earlier as baby didn't move a lot during the day, he or she literally started doing some sort of aerobics the minute I lay down in bed and has yet to stop lol.

Same here, I just feel like I went from first to third straight away.

VandC wrote: »
    I used both on last labour. I went from 2cm to 10cm very quickly (within minutes) but they had given me the injection in that time. Yes felt pukey but they gave another injection to counteract that so never actually vomited. As soon as I got the injection I was carted down to delivery room, so never needed it (and annoyed that they didn't check me again cos I told them I needed to push before they gave it to me - anyways rant for another day). Spent the labour zoned between contracts but very much on the ball and alert and well capable of pushing with the contractions.
    Also used the tens, was grand for a while and then wanted it off. Similarly, gave it to a friend who had a baby and she loved it.

Thanks for this insight. According to Holles St website, it is the drug of choice!! Yet I know no one who has used it! I've had an epidural and I've had a gas & air birth and I was hoping for something in between this time..

Love2love wrote:
    Thanks for this insight. According to Holles St website, it is the drug of choice!! Yet I know no one who has used it! I've had an epidural and I've had a gas & air birth and I was hoping for something in between this time..

No problem. Surprised it's the drug of choice tbh, don't know anyone else who used it. Everyone I know had epidural or gas and air with tens.
    I should have added it did make me forgetful about some of the labour but i remember the pushing and the delivery but not so much the in between bits (maybe i was talking crazy from the drugs but partner said nothing so guess i didn't) and time flew too. Could be a pro or con depending on how you look at it. It had worn off me by the end (which I didn't mind) as i had felt the contractions the whole way through so it wasn't an absolute shock to the system. Not sure if everyone reacts differently though, but the midwife should be able to tell you about that. Maybe they would give a half dose at the start to see how you felt if you wanted?

Hello there, how is everyone? I had my glucose test today and forgot to bring my chart in, oh boy that was a hassle. They almost sent me home again, but my lovely MIL brought it to the hospital.
    Other than that I'm sleep deprived and my diet is 80% Gaviscon.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    Hello there, how is everyone? I had my glucose test today and forgot to bring my chart in, oh boy that was a hassle. They almost sent me home again, but my lovely MIL brought it to the hospital.
    Other than that I'm sleep deprived and my diet is 80% Gaviscon.

I feel your pain with the sleep. OMG I just keep waking up! For no reason. I'm soooo tired. Other than that am good though.

Got called back today as there were high levels of white blood cells in my last set of bloods so hoping that's ok. I feel totally fine though thank god. Other than the tiredness. And I think it's because I haven't got my evening walk in in a while. But I just don't have the energy. It's a vicious circle!

Don't worry dreamstar, afaik something like that can happen in the last trimester and since you are well monitored anyway I'm sure it's fine :)

Out of curiousity: Is anyone planning to breastfeed? Read an article earlier that the rates of breastfeeding mothers are actually very very low here in Ireland.

LirW wrote: »

Out of curiousity: Is anyone planning to breastfeed? Read an article earlier that the rates of breastfeeding mothers are actually very very low here in Ireland.

Yeah I definitely am planning to. I am actually hoping to book into a day course in January. I had heard also that the rates are very low. What I've heard from a few of my friends is that it is actually quite hard and getting the support in the hospital can be difficult. So I'm hoping if I read up enough and do a lot of prep beforehand that I'll be ok. :):) It's something I really want to do but I don't want to be too disappointed if it doesn't work.

Yeah I definitely am planning to. I am actually hoping to book into a day course in January. I had heard also that the rates are very low. What I've heard from a few of my friends is that it is actually quite hard and getting the support in the hospital can be difficult. So I'm hoping if I read up enough and do a lot of prep beforehand that I'll be ok. :):) It's something I really want to do but I don't want to be too disappointed if it doesn't work.

A course in that case might be a good idea.
    I wanna be very honest with you: You are very well off getting all the advice you can get on your own because the actual support you need in the beginning in hospitals was very little.
    I was bloody young when I had my son, still wanted to breastfeed and I had very little support. Wards are usually unfortunately very understaffed and there simply is very little time to give the starting support you need.

Another thing is just that for many women it can be so tough in the beginning. It was for myself, I had an absolutely insane overproduction, I could have fed 4 children with it. Plus because of my nipple shape he had problems latching on and I was only able to nurse with nipple shields (god send in my opinion). Had to battle a breast infection but in the end, once it worked out well, I found it so convenient.

Intend to do it again because it's so cheap and I'm too lazy to carry everything around. But don't put yourself under pressure because of it, it's not worth it and you'll need your sanity :D

I have a list on amazon of stuff I need for nursing, can definitely recommend getting the Lansinoh cream because you most likely will be sore in the beginning but the cream is the bomb. Also cotton nursing pads (the washable ones) because they are quite breathable. Milk storage bags are also not too bad, because you can freeze them.
    When it comes to pumps, at some point I just rented one of the Medela mechanic ones because I didn't find a single good hand pump.

Oh and one thing I completely forgot about that just came to my mind recently: always keep snacks close while nursing, like cereal bars or anything you can eat with one hand. Gnarling hunger attacks can strike you while nursing and you'd have the feeling you need anything RIGHT NOW otherwise you eat your baby ;)

But no worries for now, it's all cool, baby still needs a bit of time :D

Thanks for all the info! These are all of the tips I want to be picking up! Yeah I don't want to put too much pressure on myself but I'm going to give it a good go. :)
    I'm in a yoga class where all the girls have been a wealth of info. And it's not the first time I've heard of the snacks so I'll have to remember that one! A friend of mine also has a sister who is a lactation consultant so would be great for her to visit once I'm home too.
    So I'm doing all the prep and then will just go with the flow - the milk flow! :)

I wish I could get myself into a Yoga class, unfortunately I have heavy personal prejudice when it comes to Yoga (family thing) :rolleyes: I was so close of booking one in for about three times and I just couldn't do it.
    At least I have a dog that needs to get out, so there is something good about it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Just to add, I found the breastfeeding class in Holles street pretty good. So good ilmplanning to go for a second time ha!

im going to breast feed. i breast fed my first too with thankfully no difficulties in the slightest! The best advise i can give anyone is to make sure and go to a breast feeding class i found it invaluable! And i think the best thing to do, I found, is to strip the baby down to ensure they are not too warm which usually makes them fall straight asleep and not feed well! The skin to skin time is lovely with the baby during feeds anyway!

i second the breast feeding class in holles street too thats where i did mine got loads of tips about successfully latching and that!

• Advertisement

Hi Ladies,

How is everyone doing? I'm 24w5d and in the last 2 days my belly has popped! I'll have no trouble getting a seat on the bus now :D

When is / was everyone's GTT? I'm back in Holles Street on Monday but I imagine I won't be brought back until at least Week 30 for the test. I suspect I may have it. I have a elavated BMI anyhow but my god the thirst, I can't seem to drink enough.

To be honest the test wasn't too bad. The Lucozade is a million times more bearable than the pure Glucose syrup I had last time. I had mine yesterday at 26+2 and there were around 15 other women in different stages. In my case it's more of a routine thing because I'm in a risk group (I have a polycystic ovary on the left side but I'm not suffering from the syndrome) and my BMI is normal.

I had a leg cramp during the night, oh how I missed that :rolleyes:

Be sure to ask for the test if you're concerned. I asked about it at my 30 week appointment but they said they wouldn't do it routinely unless the mother is overweight or over a certain age or has a family history, generally. I'm 28 and my BMI is normal so they didn't screen me.

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well! I'm 28weeks now and having an absolutely horrendous day. Am awake since 3am with horrific back pain. I was crying with it when the hubby woke up at half six. And I also seem to have caught the vomiting bug from my daughter. Thankfully have only been sick once but my stomach is in knots. I feel awful.

The only silver lining is that I had an app with my gp yesterday and we've agreed that I will finish work at 34 weeks. Bring it on.

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well! I'm 28weeks now and having an absolutely horrendous day. Am awake since 3am with horrific back pain. I was crying with it when the hubby woke up at half six. And I also seem to have caught the vomiting bug from my daughter. Thankfully have only been sick once but my stomach is in knots. I feel awful.

The only silver lining is that I had an app with my gp yesterday and we've agreed that I will finish work at 34 weeks. Bring it on.

Ah you poor thing. I feel you on the back pain. The more I do, the more I suffer. If I rest and take it easy I'm fine. So try to rest up as little as possible.

Some evenings it's so bad I can't sit on the sofa. I have a labour ball an it is really really good for back pain. If you don't already have one, I highly recommend.

Ah you poor thing. I feel you on the back pain. The more I do, the more I suffer. If I rest and take it easy I'm fine. So try to rest up as little as possible.

Some evenings it's so bad I can't sit on the sofa. I have a labour ball an it is really really good for back pain. If you don't already have one, I highly recommend.

I do have one, but today is too bad for anything other than lying in bed with a hot water bottle! I think I overdid it at the gym yesterday even though I felt fine,! Lesson learned!

• Advertisement

Love2love wrote:
    When is / was everyone's GTT? I'm back in Holles Street on Monday but I imagine I won't be brought back until at least Week 30 for the test.
    I had mine last week. Am 27 weeks. Why would they wait until week 30?
    I didn't get lucozade - i got the pee coloured glucose stuff. But it actually wasn't as bad as I expected. My results were ok thank god.

Hello lovely ladies!

I am 24 weeks tomorrow had my hospital check up today, all fine with baby but my blood pressue was high...135 / 80! I've never had hbp and now I'm really worried as I of course Googled it! Anyone else ever had this?

I'm back with my GP in 4 weeks and hosp in 8 weeks.

On the breastfeeding post, I really agree that the bf class in holles street is Brilliant! I bf my little girl for 12 weeks and a further 6 weeks at night! I bought a pump but baby wouldnt drink my milk from bottle!!! Will attend the class again this time round as a refreser!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

135/80 isn't really high, 120/80 is normal, consistent readings of 140/90 are classed as high. Lots of women get high bp as pregnancy goes on, because your body is under more pressure overall. It's only really an issue if you get side effects from it like bad/painful swelling or if you also have swelling, protein in your urine, bad headaches, visual disturbances etc as high bp, swelling and protein usually mean pre eclampsia.

Did they say anything about your bp? Don't google it, that never goes well. Also remember that bp can be higher at appointments due to stress, nerves, white coat syndrome.

Thats not that high at all really I wouldnt worry. 110-140/ 60-80 would be considered normal bp

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mountglib

Hi ladies, been awhile since I last posted. Glad to hear everyone is doing well!

Am 23 weeks now, had anatomy scan recently and found out we're having two boys. They are healthy and we are overjoyed.

I'm actively engaging with the Irish Multiples Birth Association, but still feeling quite overwhelmed re preparing. First pregnancy, it's twins and I've no family /friends with kids. I've never even held a baby!

Haven't bought anything cos we've been waiting to move apartments, but also don't know what to get anyway, despite looking at several lists online. Don't have a car so need to be strategic about it.

I see that some of you recommend getting maternity pads and nipple cream for breastfeeding, which I'd no idea about; any other essentials ppl would recommend?

Feeling a bit adrift.

• Advertisement
Advertisement