Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roof rack cycle carrier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I've two of them. Does exactly what it's supposed to do. I really don't see the point in spending any more than what's necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I've two of them. Does exactly what it's supposed to do. I really don't see the point in spending any more than what's necessary.

Do they affect your fuel usage much? I got a towbar-mounted carrier partly for that reason - and because of the niggling fear of misjudging an obstacle height and swiping the bike off the roof (as happened to someone I heard of recently).

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Total pain in the hole carrying bikes on the roof here - so many car parks with height barriers, including the new car parks for the Dungarvan-Waterford cycleway.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I've them mounted on top of a trailer so can't really comment on drag..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

My friend has one that looks like that but with a slightly different mechanism, seems to do the job, but I would recommend trying to let them let you stick your bike onto a demo one, as they're not all suitable for modern bikes with carbon or hydroformed alu downtubes, so they don't clamp as securely as you might like.

I've a pair of Thule ones on my car (passat estate) alongside semi aero roof bars, and never take them off the car, unless i'm going across the UK, very little difference in fuel consumption, up until 145 kmh, then it just gets brutal and quite noisy. With the bike on the roof it knocks a bit off, but I notice it makes a difference depending on the bike, road bike makes the least difference, enduro bike makes a lot of noise and you can feel the drag on the motorway

• Advertisement
Advertisement