Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up an air compressor

Options
  • 16-07-2016 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

So I've inherited an old air compressor from a retired mechanic but I have no idea how to use it and unfortunately he's not around anymore to ask. I'd initially like to use it for an air nailer but can see it being used to spray on finishes and used for mechanics air tools also.

So far I've powered her up and see builds up air bur after that, I'd don't know.

I took a few pictures earlier so can anyone tell if it's complete or what I need?

20160716_162325.jpg

20160716_162201.jpg

20160716_162232.jpg

20160716_162209.jpg

20160716_162212.jpg

20160716_162410.jpg

20160716_162401.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Firings look different from anything g I e used before.

Does the hose connect to the compressor after the red lever handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

No it doesn't actually. It's was beside the compressor so I just assumed it was part of it but I guess it's unrelated!

Are those fittings universal? If I picked up any air hose and air nailer, will the automatically fit? Do I need to buy anything else or is that it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Unscrew the red valve and bring it to a hire shop or garage to see if it will fit theirs if not you could always buy a new fitting and replace your one just make sure the treads are the same. The cable you have there looks like a speedo cable for a car. If you want to spray paint you will need a water trap in the air hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Mech1

fergal.b wrote: »
    Unscrew the red valve and bring it to a hire shop or garage to see if it will fit theirs if not you could always buy a new fitting and replace your one just make sure the treads are the same. The cable you have there looks like a speedo cable for a car. If you want to spray paint you will need a water trap in the air hose.

Make sure no air pressure in tank before you unscrew anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Made in '86 it should be good for a few more years. Firstly drain the stopcock - it may have water in the tank.You can open it with a little pressure in the tank - any water will shoot out. Give it a good clean and WD40 all the moving parts. All standard fittings are now 1/4" BSP male to female quick release- I'd buy a coiled airline on to which you can attach any number of tools.You might have to replace that valve with a 1/4" male BSP valve. Just remember that you can't mix air tools like nailers etc with spray setup as you have to add oil to the airline for tools. As Fergal says, you have to instal a filter and regulator to get clean air for spraying. Its best to set up a split system, tapping off a non-filtered airline for general dusting,tyre inflators etc and only using the filtered air for spraying.
    Compressors are invaluable, I use one to blow dust out of the grain of wood before finishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

keep an eye out in Lidl/Aldi for the oiler/ filter unit: I bought the following about a month ago
    https://customerservice.aldi.ie/warranties/search_results_detail.asp?id=1719&page=1&type=Garden%2C+Garage+%26+Tools&brand=Workzone&product_name=air+filter
    not the hoses

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks guys. Spraying was a bit of an after thought tbh, the main things attached I reckon will be a nail gun, impact gun, air blower etc. With that in mind, do I need the regulator / oiler thing Calahonda linked above or can I attach them directly to the valve on the compressor, assuming that valve is 1/4" BSP?

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Spraying was a bit of an after thought tbh, the main things attached I reckon will be a nail gun, impact gun, air blower etc. With that in mind, do I need the regulator / oiler thing Calahonda linked above or can I attach them directly to the valve on the compressor, assuming that valve is 1/4" BSP?

I'd stay away from an in line oiler - it contaminates the tubing if you ever want to use clean air for spraying. Just buy the dedicated air tool oil and add a few drops to the tool before using.

That's grand. So just attach the coiled hose directly to the valve on the compressor and whichever air tool I'm using to the hose?

Have you run it up to full pressure yet?
    Does it switch itself off when full pressure made?

worth checking.

• Advertisement

I haven't. Well I ran it for a bit and the pressure built up, can't remember to what, but it didn't turn itself off. Will it say what full pressure is on one of those plaques?

:edit: Humm, so the plaque on the side says safe operating pressure is 10 bars. The guage is in psi so 145psi. I fired it up there and it built up to about 160psi and was still going so I switched it off. Should it have turned itself off already at by that stage? There's a toggle button you pull up for On and push down for Off.

That's grand. So just attach the coiled hose directly to the valve on the compressor and whichever air tool I'm using to the hose?
    Yes, the orange/yellow coiled tubing will have male/female fitting parts. Buy the 15 meter length as they are pretty cheap. You can of course buy a wall mounted regular tube holder which is a bit neater.
    I haven't. Well I ran it for a bit and the pressure built up, can't remember to what, but it didn't turn itself off. Will it say what full pressure is on one of those plaques?

:edit: Humm, so the plaque on the side says safe operating pressure is 10 bars. The guage is in psi so 145psi. I fired it up there and it built up to about 160psi and was still going so I switched it off. Should it have turned itself off already at by that stage? There's a toggle button you pull up for On and push down for Off.

It should cut off at the stated pressure. I do hope you have drained the tank as water can really build up if neglected for a few years, !

100psi is loads, get the pressure cut off sorted before turning it on again!

Leak off that 160psi slowly and carefully.

I recommend you leave it in to a compressor repair guy before going any further.

Blows out at 1.30min Click watch on youtube and read the comments also.

Yup I drained the tank, there was a good bit of water in it alright! How do I sort out the pressure cut off or who services these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That hose in pic #6 is off a power-washer or something - the internal diameter is too small to get much flow @ 100psi

Ah, was wondering what it was from! One mystery solved!

Yup I drained the tank, there was a good bit of water in it alright! How do I sort out the pressure cut off or who services these things?

Take off the switch cover ( with the power disconnected ) You should see a brass screw to one side of the electrical connections. This is the pressure release setting screw - tighten it in by a turn or two and it will reset the pressure setting. Run it up to about 100 psi and it should cut out. No need for excessive caution - all compressors have a pressure release safety valve.

Ok covers off. Don't see a brass screw but there is a bolt head with a plus and minus on it. It goes down through a spring. Also, one of the plaques says it was tested up to 19.8 bars, circa 300psi so hopefully I'm not in too imminent danger!

20160717_190327.jpg

20160717_190421.jpg

20160717_190340.jpg

20160717_190433.jpg

No cheapo brass screw - made in the UK of course.:D That has to be the pressure release switch - back it off a turn or two and see if it cuts out more readily.

Success! She automatically cut off at about 140psi. So that's sorted and the tank is drained of water, we're making progress! Now to get some air tools!

• Advertisement

However, I noticed this earlier. Does it mean it's not 1/4" BSP? Is 1/2" a problem?

20160717_163220.jpg

20160717_163311.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Do you have a nail gun yet or hose.

Nothing yet I'm afraid, just the compressor.

Success! She automatically cut off at about 140psi. So that's sorted and the tank is drained of water, we're making progress! Now to get some air tools!

Great stuff. That fitting might well be a female 1/4"BSP - it looks like a quick release to me. Remember when you buy an air tool you don't necessarily get the connector with it. Ideally, a 1/4" swivel male connector is screwed into the tool and you connect the female end of the hose to that. The male end ( no jokes please ) of the hose might just click into your fitting - it must have had a connection in the past. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

However, I noticed this earlier. Does it mean it's not 1/4" BSP? Is 1/2" a problem?

20160717_163220.jpg

It is indeed a 1/2" valve but you can buy reducers in any plumbing store or large hardware store that will reduce the thread size to 3/8".

Do you plan to leave the compressor in one place but work in different areas of your workshop? If so get some hoses to act as extension "leads".

If you plan on using compressed air a lot and for different tools in different areas you might need to consider putting in a permanent steel or copper airline around the workshop -- but this is big money and only if your using compressed air A LOT.

Are you friendly with any mechanics in a big garage? Could you ask them to show you the compressed air system?

I've attached a pic of what I'm talking about - again it's expensive so only for heavy use.
    392123.jpg

Haha, while that looks like a great project to get stuck into, it's a bit OTT for my needs! My workshop is only 680sq ft, about 9 x 7 meters, so with a 20 meter airline I should be able to leave the compressor in the corner and reach anywhere!

Advertisement