Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My poor old cat has gone

• 17-07-2016 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Our 14+ year old cat called Smokie has gone, she has not been well for awhile, raspy breathing, but Friday she stopped eating and drinking, today she basked in the sunshine and went under my car, I rubbed her for a good few minutes and she purred, I had to do something and came back about 30 minutes later and she was gone.
    I can't help crying, she was a gentle cat who never scratched the children when they pestered her, I looked for her called her name but no luck. Strangely a black kitten came into our lives just over a week ago.
    I have heard that cats go away to die.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I strongly suggest you find her and take her to a vet to end her suffering. No animal should be allowed to suffer as she has.
    florawest wrote: »
    Our 14+ year old cat called Smokie has gone, she has not been well for awhile, raspy breathing, but Friday she stopped eating and drinking, today she basked in the sunshine and went under my car, I rubbed her for a good few minutes and she purred, I had to do something and came back about 30 minutes later and she was gone.
    I can't help crying, she was a gentle cat who never scratched the children when they pestered her, I looked for her called her name but no luck. Strangely a black kitten came into our lives just over a week ago.
    I have heard that cats go away to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

You need to find the poor cat and get her to a vet, I'm sure you probably have already as she's not been well for a while, but leaving her to die, which can take a couple of weeks for them to do, is not very nice. Look in cool shady places as sick cats don't often like being too hot. Ask all your neighbors to check garages, sheds etc for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

find her now. It's your duty and honour to stay with her til her time has passed.Don't let her cross on her own. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

Chances are she is still somewhere around she would not have gone far so I suggest like everyone else to go look for her and bring her to the vets to be put to sleep if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Needle in a haystack unless she has gps on the cat its gonna be hard. I doubt she is leaving here to die. Best of luck Flora

• Advertisement

Disagree.I have lots and lots of experience with sick/dying cats and they all withdraw.Every single one of them. Find her. She won't be far, they are never far...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

Needle in a haystack unless she has gps on the cat its gonna be hard. I doubt she is leaving here to die. Best of luck Flora

I've 8 plus cats and some strays and I've had sick ones, injured ones etc and I have always managed to find them if they go missing one that I did find had to be put down in the vets he was old and sick and had a hard life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Disagree.I have lots and lots of experience with sick/dying cats and they all withdraw.Every single one of them. Find her. She won't be far, they are never far...:(

Agreed, we had three cats as children and every one of them did their utmost to get away from the house when it was time to go :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I'll never understand the mentality of people who knowingly allowing a sick animal to die naturally. I find it very upsetting to ever hear about. Where is the empathy? We owe it to our pets to give them a pain free, easy death by means of euthanasia, when the time comes:(

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
    You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.
    We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.
    Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown
    Find her.please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

We all know our animals and if they are in pain, some people are so fast to judge, our cat returned home, we brought her to her vet (as we were going to but she disappeared) and she is on antibiotics and he said something that cats do wander off and get bit disorientated, we have taken in and cared for many the stray cat/dog over the years, offering them love, food and a good home, and taking them to get neutered/spayed and check ups. Thanks for replies good luck to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

We had one with cancer head off a few weeks back - I was distraught as I'd only taken her outside for a bit of fresh air and she did a runner and I couldn't catch her. She came back 3 days later and I had another 5 weeks with her before I finally had to call the vet to put her to sleep.

I'm glad your girl came back and excellent that the vet has her on meds. Could have been the hot weather that disoriented her too? Hopefully she'll come back round and you'll have her for a good while yet.

Advertisement