Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the Irish State lay Laurel wreathes at WW1 commemorations?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I think Lord Sutch might genuinely find things such as this difficult to understand because someone said he was of the old Anglo-Irish class. It is perhaps understandable if that is the case. On another thread, for example, he said he doesn't want to learn the Irish anthem because "its all about Fianna Fail and I don't support them". This suggests to me that the guy isn't intentionally being provocative but actually simply might not be entirely aware of the meaning of certain cultural things relevant to "nationalist" Ireland.

His question was an honest one and he has attempted to address it despite coming from what is obviously a different angle to most of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Well thank you Jesus, you make me feel like a dusty old relic who lives in big house :))

I am actually fully aware of all the arguments surrounding symbols and anthems, and God knows I've been involved in some heated arguments over the years, but I just don't want this thread to spiral down into an argument which might be more at home in After Hours, therefore I am deliberately not engaging with off topic arguments.

This is the History forum. I asked a specific question on page one, and it has largely been addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I'm so glad I put LordScutch on my ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I'm so glad I put LordScutch on my ignore list.

A warning against trolling. Stay away if this is the level of your input. Any further comment here by you risks ban.

Regards

Advertisement