Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any recommended road spins around carlingford?

Options
  • 17-07-2016 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

i'll be in carlingford for a few days with the in laws week after next and trying to find some nice roads to get out for a 60 - 80km with a nice bit of climbing.

has anyone got any suggestions? found this as a starting point but not sure how busy these roads are etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pantanifan84

Head north from carlingford through one at. Just outside one at you'll see a yellow bar with a turn just passed it. Pubs called daveys and said road leads to long woman's grave. Head up there to log then just passed lwg take right hand road down Jenkins town hill and at bottom of hill turn right and head through ravensdale forest. I live in dundalk feel free to drop me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Head north from carlingford through one at. Just outside one at you'll see a yellow bar with a turn just passed it. Pubs called daveys and said road leads to long woman's grave. Head up there to log then just passed lwg take right hand road down Jenkins town hill and at bottom of hill turn right and head through ravensdale forest. I live in dundalk feel free to drop me a pm

Bring your climbing legs if you're doing that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

thanks, suggests that part of it would be the reverse of this? i don't know the roads around the area well so all suggestions welcome!

and while my climbing legs might be terrible as have not been able to get out on the bike much lately, i'm more than happy to have some testig climbs included ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pantanifan84

Yeah that includes the climb to the mast but be warned road surface on the descent on both sides is sh1t. Deadly dangerous. If your looking for a good climbing spin try going up Jenkins town hill, as I said b in previous post drop me a pm I'd bd happy to give you a bit of a guided tour of the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Carling, Omeath, Newry, Dundalk is about 50km give or take (Have done it a 100 times & don't know exact distance). Lovely spin, climbing wise there is tons.
    Hardest climb is The Mast (Nissan went over it in 1992 I believe). The Carrickdale Hotel is half between Newry & Dundalk just off the Dual Carriage way. Going on the old road towards Newry take the first right after the hotel, then take the next right & you have a good 30+min climb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

of course best laid plans didn't quite work out!

i only managed to get out for a short spin on monday morning so did about 45km, up jenkinstown hill and back down into omeath.

had planned on doing the long climb up to the mast on wednesday and drove it on tuesday to check out the route but ended up having to come back to dublin early on wednesday so no dice!

thanks for the various bits of advice :)

and pantanifan84 - it wasn't until i was ready to head out on monday morning that i knew how long i could go out for so there was no way i could call in your offer. thanks though, very generous of you!

Advertisement