Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a wireless thingymabob switch

Options
  • 17-07-2016 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Have an oil boiler in my shed with no spare cables running out to it. Want to be able to control it from the house. It will most likely only ever be turned on for 1 or 2 hours intervals.

Is there a small unit I can mount beside my heating switches in the house to latch a relay via bluetooth/RF or something like this ? Would be nice to have it on a 1 or 2 hour timer. Shed is about 6 meters from the house. Cheaper the better. For all the use it gets it wouldn't warrant massive money being spent.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So you've already got a switch inside the house and can manually switch the heating on/off from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So you've already got a switch inside the house and can manually switch the heating on/off from there?

As above, how is it controlled now? do you have to go out to the shed each time?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

The cables used to go to oil but now go to a wood burning boiler and pumps etc. I still want oil as back up but have no cables left coming from house.

Oil will be used very rarely so I'm not bothered if it's a little fob or how ugly the set up is. Just want the ability without going to the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

gutteruu wrote: »
    The cables used to go to oil but now go to a wood burning boiler and pumps etc. I still want oil as back up but have no cables left coming from house.

Oil will be used very rarely so I'm not bothered if it's a little fob or how ugly the set up is. Just want the ability without going to the shed.

You can but wifi switches for around €50 but your gonna need a permenant live out at the boiler first.

I have a permanent live. Any particular type or make?

• Advertisement

I have a permanent live. Any particular type or make?

Not sure of brands. I used one from an electrical wholesalers and it worked fine. It's basically an electrical socket that is turned on/off from an app on your phone

Does the wifi switch need access to home wifi? It would be out of range in the shed. Also grandparents who aren't too tech savvy may need to use it so maybe I'm better trying a simple switch of sorts.

Does the wifi switch need access to home wifi? It would be out of range in the shed. Also grandparents who aren't too tech savvy may need to use it so maybe I'm better trying a simple switch of sorts.

Range wise I'm not sure. Don't know if any wireless switches either

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any remote switches i got used RF and had very long range, not sure what load you could safely put through them though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Any remote switches i got used RF and had very long range, not sure what load you could safely put through them though.

I could set it up to latch a relay? I've been looking at those wifi power switches. Seem like they are very useful but some models are very hit and miss according to reviews. I checked range and my wifi will reach although I still have the grandparents using it problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement