Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Digital Radio - a secret?

• 17-07-2016 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My family are all 'into' Digital Radio .......actually its on all the time in our house...
    Why when all leading European National Broadcasters promote and develop Digital Radio does RTE not promote their stations and extend coverage to the whole country...

Our under 20's listen to RTE Pulse while us over 38's are addicted to RTE GOLD...

Why if RTE has such talent on air who are being paid their fee can they not promote the stations .......

Guys this is 2016......................look at the UK most cars now have digital radio - time to get serious with a proper strategy...

Great to hear legends like Larry Gogan Al Dunne Micky Mac Karl Tsaguinnes on the radio...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

Not this AGAIN... No wonder this website is dying out, the same tired topics keep getting repeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Technically, I think the whole thing is still "on test" while it is decided which DAB format to formally use and how to structure the licensing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DundalkDisco

How much is this so call 'on test' costing RTE - Digital Managers Producers Presenters
    Its going on for years - actually it might make an interested Parliamentary Question to the new Minister?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

My family are all 'into' Digital Radio .......actually its on all the time in our house...
    Why when all leading European National Broadcasters promote and develop Digital Radio does RTE not promote their stations and extend coverage to the whole country...

Correct me if I am wrong here but I'm fairly sure that ads go out on both RTE radio 1 and 2 for the various digital channels. If this is the case then your point about a lack of promotion may well be found wanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DundalkDisco

I am sorry I used to hear advertisements for Digital Radio - but there seems to be a serious lack of interest in the project.
    Questions I would like answered by RTE; and If not by either FOI or PQ ( Parliamentary Question)

How much has been spent to date on capital Expenditure on Digital Radio in ROI?
    Can we use the 252 LW expenditure now please?

What are the current costs of the station:

Head of RTE Digital Salary?
    Producer Annual Costs?
    Technical Staff Costs?

Presenter Payroll:

The stations have a roster of Presenters who actually present good public service radio shows - how are they paid?

Is there any strategy or will Digital have moved on by the time RTE decides what to do...

Thank God for 'Tune in' App - I have BBC Radio's 1 2 4 and 5 Live on tap 24/7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The BBC radio iPlayer is now available in iTunes and the Play Store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

How much is this so call 'on test' costing RTE - Digital Managers Producers Presenters
    Its going on for years - actually it might make an interested Parliamentary Question to the new Minister?

Why does It need so much testing (Saorview was the same "on test" for years before the actual launch) IT WORKS !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Have they bothered to improve the coverage? DAB coverage is still not all that great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Have they bothered to improve the coverage? DAB coverage is still not all that great.
    Is the Clermont transmitter still screened towards NI radiomap lists the RTE multipmex as being recievable in Belfast but this does not appear to be the case (FM and TV coverage from the same TX has rather patchy coverage there)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There would also be outrage at the fact RTE are advertising a service that they only provide to 3 cities, Dundalk and the M7/N81 corridors in Kildare/West Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I am sorry I used to hear advertisements for Digital Radio - but there seems to be a serious lack of interest in the project.
    Questions I would like answered by RTE; and If not by either FOI or PQ ( Parliamentary Question)

How much has been spent to date on capital Expenditure on Digital Radio in ROI?
    Can we use the 252 LW expenditure now please?

What are the current costs of the station:

Head of RTE Digital Salary?
    Producer Annual Costs?
    Technical Staff Costs?

Presenter Payroll:

The stations have a roster of Presenters who actually present good public service radio shows - how are they paid?

Is there any strategy or will Digital have moved on by the time RTE decides what to do...

Cost of operating the digital / online stations is miniscule. A lot of it is computer generated automatic programming.

DAB is not seen as important in the overall scheme of things, so unlikely any further investment will be made.

Gold is great as background music - I hear it in many retail stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Correct me if I am wrong here but I'm fairly sure that ads go out on both RTE radio 1 and 2 for the various digital channels. If this is the case then your point about a lack of promotion may well be found wanting.

I've heard it mentioned dozens of times on both rte1 and rte2. I had a dab radio myself around 2010. I just assumed that most people knew about it. Aren't all the dab stations available online? I think there is even an rte app for the dab stations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

If Rte go digital will my dab radio pick it up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Bob Z wrote: »
    If Rte go digital will my dab radio pick it up ?

It all depends where you're living... There are still large areas of the country where the signal is weak or non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 viper87

I have been able to pick up the DAB+ signal on the M4 heading west of Athlone, you be supprised where you can pick it up...given the limited network

Advertisement