Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY handlebar holder

Options
  • 17-07-2016 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

I need something to prevent my handlebar from rotating left/right when I'm storing it in my bike locker as I push it through while just holding the saddle.

I spotted this: http://www.parktool.com/product/handlebar-holder-hbh-2

but surely there's some DIY thing I could do. Looking for something that takes a few seconds to put on/take off.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Read a suggestion online to fabricate something from coat hanger wire wrapped in tape... that might work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Is it just a commuter? Try tightening your headset a bit and see is the wheel will hold centre long enough.

Saving that a short bungee chord through the wheel and around the top tube should hold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A bungee cord from front wheel to the seat post should hold it steady enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Odelay

mrcheez wrote: »
    I need something to prevent my handlebar from rotating left/right when I'm storing it in my bike locker as I push it through while just holding the saddle.

I spotted this: http://www.parktool.com/product/handlebar-holder-hbh-2

but surely there's some DIY thing I could do. Looking for something that takes a few seconds to put on/take off.

Any suggestions?

Why not push it in backwards holding the handlebars?

Odelay wrote: »
    Why not push it in backwards holding the handlebars?

Tried that but it doesn't sit nicely in the bike stand at the end of the shed, only the front wheel sits in there.

I can't put anything through the wheel like a bungee as the front wheel needs to move as I push it through holding the saddle.

I'd prefer something that can literally just be plopped on top and taken off just as quickly in literally 3 seconds. I guess buying the handlebar holder is the only solution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Can you not control the turning of the front wheel from your grip on the saddle?

(When walking while pushing a bike along by the saddle, it can be steered without touching the handlebars. Wouldn't the same principle apply?).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

As Wishbone Ash says, you can control from the saddle, but you have to move the bike briskly for proper control, I find. Might not work in a confined space. Might bash the bike and damage the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wheel it vertically whilst holding the bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A bungee cord from front wheel to the seat post should hold it steady enough.

Modify this to a bungee cord wrapped twice around the seatpost and hooked to the handlebars on each side. That'll hold it straight...
    Seatpost through the loop below, hooks to the handlebars.
    p982592dt.jpg

Can you not control the turning of the front wheel from your grip on the saddle?

(When walking while pushing a bike along by the saddle, it can be steered without touching the handlebars. Wouldn't the same principle apply?).

The problem is pushing it the last bit up onto the bike stand, that's often where the wheel goes off at a tangent. The locker is little taller than the bike itself so hard to squeeze me in along with it.

twin-bike-locker.jpg?w=300&h=225
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Modify this to a bungee cord wrapped twice around the seatpost and hooked to the handlebars on each side. That'll hold it straight...
    Seatpost through the loop below, hooks to the handlebars.
    p982592dt.jpg

I found a similar sort of bungee like that and it works to some extent... takes about a minute to secure it all in place though... was kind of hoping for something that will be faster to take on/off as I'll be using it twice every day of the year.

To be honest I reckon I might just go for one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Park-Tool-HBH-2-Bike-Cycle-Handlebar-Holder-/361091492057

Thanks for suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I found a similar sort of bungee like that and it works to some extent... takes about a minute to secure it all in place though... was kind of hoping for something that will be faster to take on/off as I'll be using it twice every day of the year.

That sort of irritation, although small, twice a day every day would eventually drive you nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

a 2 (or bigger) litre soft drinks bottle (plastic). cut the top off then 2 slots up either side (big enough to fit over the crossbar and the stem) and long enough to reach down to the down tube.

slotting the bottle over the stem / crossbar should only take seconds and should hold the wheel straight

com1 wrote: »
    a 2 (or bigger) litre soft drinks bottle (plastic). cut the top off then 2 slots up either side (big enough to fit over the crossbar and the stem) and long enough to reach down to the down tube.

slotting the bottle over the stem / crossbar should only take seconds and should hold the wheel straight

Worth a shot... was thinking some sort of DIY Styrofoam mould might work as well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Often thought about buying the Park Tools handlebar holder - I find it really annoying when I'm working on the bike up on a stand and the bars won't sit straight, it can make adjusting rim brakes difficult!
    First world problem I know! .... !

C3PO wrote: »
    First world problem I know! .... !

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Worth a shot... was thinking some sort of DIY Styrofoam mould might work as well :pac:

In fact, probably better...

Advertisement