Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get your car valued for insurance purposes

Options
  • 17-07-2016 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Just received my Insurance renewal forms.
    My car is stated as quite high.
    Can anyone advise how I go about doing my own valuation ?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I always thought they valued cars on something called a blue book, not 100% sure about this..

I do know that if the valuation is high, you don't get it, just the market value..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I always thought they valued cars on something called a blue book, not 100% sure about this..

I do know that if the valuation is high, you don't get it, just the market value..

Hi
    I'm only concerned about the cost of the premium as its a higher valation than I would have put on it, and if I reduce the value for Insurance purposes the premium might be less. ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Conology wrote:
    Hi I'm only concerned about the cost of the premium as its a higher valation than I would have put on it, and if I reduce the value for Insurance purposes the premium might be less. ???

Simple, check what the average price of your car is on garage forecourts. Advise insurance company of the value .Won't reduce the premium greatly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Conology wrote:
    Hi I'm only concerned about the cost of the premium as its a higher valation than I would have put on it, and if I reduce the value for Insurance purposes the premium might be less. ???

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you. Insurance companies don't usually put a value on a car in my experience. Its usually up to the car owner to tell them the value. Overvalued and they only pay out on the correct value. Undervalued and they only pay out on the value you gave.

Or are you talking about the cost of the insurance premium?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding you. Insurance companies don't usually put a value on a car in my experience. Its usually up to the car owner to tell them the value. Overvalued and they only pay out on the correct value. Undervalued and they only pay out on the value you gave.

Or are you talking about the cost of the insurance premium?

It's the value of the car about 3 years ago, so I'll check it out at the garage?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Conology wrote: »
    It's the value of the car about 3 years ago, so I'll check it out at the garage?

Thanks

Here's what I was looking for - the link to a useful Website
    http://www.adverts.ie/valuator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I pull if out of my arse, just like the insurance companies do for their quotes.

Conology wrote:
    Here's what I was looking for - the link to a useful Website

So my 06 1.5 megane is valued at €2800? Sorry but I call bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Adverts valuator isn't very good.
    You can try https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1 which also isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I always make it up myself. I asked them a few years ago about lowering it and 123.ie told me anything from 0-8000 doesn't effect premium at all.

Anyway I've only ever heard of the value being assessed when there's a claim and thats where people put forward their evidence of value as the insurance crowd low ball them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

nhunter100 wrote: »
    So my 06 1.5 megane is valued at €2800? Sorry but I call bollix.

Do you think more? I would have thought that would be very close. I have a 04 5 series that was 2400 in 2013, great condition too (although a 9 year old one now is about 6 grand, it was the recession)

bmwguy wrote:
    Do you think more? I would have thought that would be very close. I have a 04 5 series that was 2400 in 2013, great condition too (although a 9 year old one now is about 6 grand, it was the recession)

Less actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

pippip wrote: »
    I always make it up myself. I asked them a few years ago about lowering it and 123.ie told me anything from 0-8000 doesn't effect premium at all.

Anyway I've only ever heard of the value being assessed when there's a claim and thats where people put forward their evidence of value as the insurance crowd low ball them.
    Theoretically, and in reality, the price of anything is what a person is willing to pay for it.

So yes, you're fine just making it up if you don't mind it not being accurate. And then obviously the insurance company will agree with or dispute that value in the event of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

The value of the vehicle is effectively irrelevant until 25-35k approximately. An insurer I used to work for would only consider applying a loading once the value of the vehicle was over 32k.

For example, if you state your vehicle is worth 15k whereas it's only worth 6k or vice versa, it won't have any bearing on a claim in the event of a write off - the market value of the vehicle at the time will apply. This is different to property insurance where the sums insured generally need to be spot on.

Advertisement