Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric sliding gate erratic movements

Options
  • 17-07-2016 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi All

I have an automatic electric sliding gate which recently started to act strangely. It can be opened using a remote, by calling a designated number or by a switch inside the house. When any one of these methods are used the gate acts erratic, where it will opens partly, then stops and closes slightly, it may even open and close like this a few times over 20-30 seconds like it is trying to find its position. I have tried to take the brake off and push the gate to its desired position and the limit switch will stop the motor but then when I break the beam/switch for it to close the same happens and it acts up.

I have changed the capacitor which was one solution given and it initially seemed to work for the first few operations.

Has anyone ever come across anything like this or heard of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

homer1982 wrote: »
    Hi All

I have an automatic electric sliding gate which recently started to act strangely. It can be opened using a remote, by calling a designated number or by a switch inside the house. When any one of these methods are used the gate acts erratic, where it will opens partly, then stops and closes slightly, it may even open and close like this a few times over 20-30 seconds like it is trying to find its position. I have tried to take the brake off and push the gate to its desired position and the limit switch will stop the motor but then when I break the beam/switch for it to close the same happens and it acts up.

I have changed the capacitor which was one solution given and it initially seemed to work for the first few operations.

Has anyone ever come across anything like this or heard of it?

Is there anything blocking the gate opening? There could be debris in the runner, maybe the force could be increased. Any problems when closing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Is there a torque setting? Sounds like it's tripping on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Skihunta13 wrote: »
    Is there anything blocking the gate opening? There could be debris in the runner, maybe the force could be increased. Any problems when closing?

sorry for the delay in responding, there is no debris in the way. I even lubricated the rollers on the gate. With the brake off it move easilyand smoothly by hand. It will go to open, then suddenly stop and then move in the closed direction about a foot. It will then start opening again and again suddenly stop and move closed a foot or so. Very strange.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Is there a torque setting? Sounds like it's tripping on that.

I have checked for torque setting and there doesn't seem to be any setting like that on the program. There was a power setting and I already have the motor at 90% power. On an above post I have explained what the gate is actually doing, very strange.

sorry for the delay in responding, there is no debris in the way. I even lubricated the rollers on the gate. With the brake off it move easilyand smoothly by hand. It will go to open, then suddenly stop and then move in the closed direction about a foot. It will then start opening again and again suddenly stop and move closed a foot or so. Very strange.

Try disconnect the gate from the motor to see if the same happens. If it does you may have a motor issue but try to re-program before you replace the motor.
    Grease on sliding gate can be a nuisance at times as it collect dirt.

• Advertisement

Skihunta13 wrote:
    Try disconnect the gate from the motor to see if the same happens. If it does you may have a motor issue but try to re-program before you replace the motor. Grease on sliding gate can be a nuisance at times as it collect dirt.

I tried this on the same is happening. It now has an error on the control panel screen saying it may be a triac issue, is this a big issue?

I tried this on the same is happening. It now has an error on the control panel screen saying it may be a triac issue, is this a big issue?

I think that could be a safety beam issue. Are you able to bypass them beams safely? What make is the system?

Advertisement