Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stopped by the Gardai, have to produce insurance cert

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

It's far from perfect but it's not unfair.

Its extraordinarily unfair to those who've been driving responsibly for years, never claimed and have no points and whose perfectly fine NCT'd older car is loaded to ridiculous amounts, in the thousands. Whose mostly responsible for that ludicrous situation arising I don't know but it is certainly not fair.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Jesus. wrote:
    Its extraordinarily unfair to those who've been driving responsibly for years, never claimed and have no points and whose perfectly fine NCT'd older car is loaded to ridiculous amounts, in the thousands. Whose mostly responsible for that ludicrous situation arising I don't know but it is certainly not fair.

I've no idea why 15+ year old cars are more expensive to insure. If we knew this maybe things would be clearer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I've no idea why 15+ year old cars are more expensive to insure. If we knew this maybe things would be clearer?

It is cheap to buy one, insure and week later hit a pedestrian at 3kmh, who developes a severe neck, pain and worst of all ankle pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

grogi wrote: »
    It is cheap to buy one, insure and week later hit a pedestrian at 3kmh, who developes a severe neck, pain and worst of all ankle pain.

I am being charged twice the amount for a 95 Starlet than I was for a 2002 Jeep. Insurance companies only seem to look past 7 years so my 30 year unblemished history is worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

grogi wrote: »

But if you have insured the SAME vehicle with an insurance company say 10 years (or more) this doesn't apply. Mrs soap bought a 2 year old car 12 years ago, perfectly fit for amount of driving she does. in and out of work, bit of shopping, perfect little run around No claims, < 8000 kms per. Sails through the NCT. Why should she be loaded next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

joeysoap wrote: »
    But if you have insured the SAME vehicle with an insurance company say 10 years (or more) this doesn't apply. Mrs soap bought a 2 year old car 12 years ago, perfectly fit for amount of driving she does. in and out of work, bit of shopping, perfect little run around No claims, < 8000 kms per. Sails through the NCT. Why should she be loaded next year?
    Because sh*t rolls downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Because sh*t rolls downhill.

I am inclined to agree with this. Someone who can afford a 162 Beamer or Merc are probably who the insurance companies prefer to have on their books. This is a PC way to clear the decks of those they don't want.

joeysoap wrote: »
    I am inclined to agree with this. Someone who can afford a 162 Beamer or Merc are probably who the insurance companies prefer to have on their books. This is a PC way to clear the decks of those they don't want.
    Yeah.

Essentially the insurance companies are like the bookies. They never lose. Unless they're corrupt. They're usually the smartest people in the room and they usually have the power to play by their own rules within the seemingly lax limits of the regulator. As famously said by a black Baltimore gangster, "the game is rigged."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yeah.

Essentially the insurance companies are like the bookies. They never lose. Unless they're corrupt. They're usually the smartest people in the room and they usually have the power to play by their own rules within the seemingly lax limits of the regulator. As famously said by a black Baltimore gangster, "the game is rigged."

How does the collapse of PMPA, Independent Insurance, and Setanta tally with that?

• Advertisement

How does the collapse of PMPA, Independent Insurance, and Setanta tally with that?
    Corruption and bad business decisions. It happens in all industries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Yeah.

Essentially the insurance companies are like the bookies. They never lose. Unless they're corrupt.

? In Ireland the more corrupt businesses always win the most, and their Irish politician pals will always ensure they make the ordinary public pay their debts for them and pick up the tab.

Advertisement