Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock development?

Options
  • 17-07-2016 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I hoped I post this in the right forum!

Anyway I've noticed a straight dug up line (a road way by the looks of it) beside one of the farms at the road at the road about at the coast road. Also this morning I saw a lot of construction vehicles beside portmarnock dart station.

Anyone know what this is? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

New large scale residential developments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

New large scale residential developments.

How many properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

How many properties.

Lots. It's a huge site. There's a smaller site on the opposite side of the road where they will build 50 -80 apartments and houses.

http://www.gazettegroup.com/news/consent-granted-for-121-houses/

I'm living on Station Road. I hope the majority will use the train station for commuting. Probably won't be around there when it's fully built though.

The road isn't wide enough for a huge volume of traffic at peak times. Especially when commuters are walking on the footpath.

Great, even more people on an already packed train in the morning. All the DART platforms will have to be extended again, and DARTS upgraded to 10 carriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Sherman Oaks are building this development 413 Houses and 271 apartments total 684 in all

F07A/0947 Appeal Lodged: 16-Jan-2008
    Nature of Appeal: 3rd Vs Decision
    Councils Decision: GRANT PERMISSION
    Applicant: Sherman Oaks Ltd
    Location: Station Road And Mayne Road, Portmarnock, Co Dublin
    Proposed Development: The initial phase (Phase A) of an integrated residential neighbourhood development at Station Road and Mayne Road, Portmarnock on the lands of the Portmarnock Local Area Plan, in the townlands of Maynetown and Portmarnock.
    Phase A will include 684 residential units, made up of 413 houses ranging in size from 3 to 5-bedroom, 271 apartments in buildings ranging between 3 and 4 storeys in height and a 3-storey neighbourhood centre with a ground floor retail element of 455 sq.m. gross in 3 units with apartments over and associated parking at surface level; and all associated site development works, landscaping, boundary treatments, pump house with service vehicle access on Coast Road, storage buildings and one underground boiler house with associated vent, and surface water discharge structures at Baldoyle Estuary. Access is provided by new junctions from Station Road (which will be upgraded locally including a bus lay-by) and Mayne Road, with a spine road facilitating bus public transport linking both. The development will provide for an additional 151 commuter car parking spaces to primarily serve Portmarnock railway station, accessed via the station car park and the neighbourhood centre and located at basement level below the proposed neighbourhood centre.

Part of the development relates to the curtilage of a protected structure (No. 475) and recorded monument namely RMP No. DU015:014 Portmarnock Mound and a recorded monument RMP No. DU015:055 Maynetown Enclosure.

The planning application will be accompanied by an Environmental Impact Statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

They have a sign up at the site. It's going to be called St Marnock's Bay. I will have to double check that though. It only went up over the weekend I think and I saw it late at night tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

i will wonder will they restart on the new road that was meant to be built from donaghmeade now that theyre developing a large scale housing site

just noticed this morning when driving over to portmarnock this morning they have dug what looks like the foundations for a road into one of the fields just down from that littlke fenced off area the DAA use. More houses??

neris wrote:
    just noticed this morning when driving over to portmarnock this morning they have dug what looks like the foundations for a road into one of the fields just down from that littlke fenced off area the DAA use. More houses??

The bridge is to be closed for repairs for a few weeks and they are installing a temporary pedestrian footbridge. Could the preparations for this be what you saw? I'm not familiar with the description of the land you use.

EDIT: Link to bridge thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057633658

no this particular site is not the bridge. its on the baldoyle paortmarnock road a good bit before the mini roundabout into portmarnock. its around this part here on google maps

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4129203,-6.1377555,203m/data=!3m1!1e3

though they did seem to be doing stuff for the bridge aswell when i was driving past it. they had all the lights off it and lads in the field beside it with machinery.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    no this particular site is not the bridge. its on the baldoyle paortmarnock road a good bit before the mini roundabout into portmarnock. its around this part here on google maps

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4129203,-6.1377555,203m/data=!3m1!1e3

though they did seem to be doing stuff for the bridge aswell when i was driving past it. they had all the lights off it and lads in the field beside it with machinery.

Ok. Dunno what that is! There was talk of a cycle track around there before, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kalibraaa

Its a new development by Ballymore Properties called Marnocks Bay. Hope the new buyers are aware of Ballymore and their Pyrite connections. Crazy though that these developments are going up without the surrounding roads being upgraded. Station rd is a death trap already.

kalibraaa wrote:
    Its a new development by Ballymore Properties called Marnocks Bay. Hope the new buyers are aware of Ballymore and their Pyrite connections. Crazy though that these developments are going up without the surrounding roads being upgraded. Station rd is a death trap already.

The OP was talking about something on the road between Portmarnock and Baldoyle, not the developments on Station Road.

Unless the new development big enough to have access from there.

And "death trap"? Really? In what way?

Post mentioned 'beside Portmarnock Dart station' and thats Station rd. If you know the area as well as I do as I travel it every day as do my kids then you will know that there is not enough room for a truck/bus and a car to share the road (at the Drumnigh Rd end) forcing traffic on to the footpaths. This I see every day. Fingal planners are a disgrace!

kalibraaa wrote:
    Post mentioned 'beside Portmarnock Dart station' and thats Station rd. If you know the area as well as I do as I travel it every day as do my kids then you will know that there is not enough room for a truck/bus and a car to share the road (at the Drumnigh Rd end) forcing traffic on to the footpaths. This I see every day. Fingal planners are a disgrace!

I thought you were responding to user Neris' question in post 9, given that the the info on the development was already answered ages ago.

And I live on Station Road, walk or drive on it daily, and cycle it frequently. The road at the junction you mention is narrow, but I've rarely seen anyone having to be forced onto the pavement bar heavy earth movers. Or people in jeeps with no spatial awareness.

Nothing to do with spatial awareness Im afraid I have sent multiple photos to fingal traffic engineers showing cars on footpaths. A truck/bus and a car will not physically fit on that road. Fingal say that they need to do a compulsory land purchase there to widen but of course they dont have the money. It takes a fatality in this country to get anything done.

kalibraaa wrote:
    A truck/bus and a car will not physically fit on that road.

That is not my experience of using that part of the road twice daily, both morning and evening, pretty much every day for the last eight years.

It is narrow, though. But many issues may be down to cars being unwilling to get too close to the badly trimmed bushes and therefore not making the most efficient use of the available space.

Both sides of the road are peoples' gardens, so a compulsory purchase order would indeed be required.

I would put a pic on here of what I see every day - if I only knew how :-)

I've seen it, alright, but rarely and in the context of two large vehicles happening to meet going in opposite directions.

Or someone in a large SUV, which is where the spatial awareness and fear of bush scratches comes in!

But in all fairness, there's very little foot traffic that end, in the grand scheme of things, and pedestrians are very visible. The chances of a bus or truck mounting the pavement at speed and ploughing into a pedestrian are miniscule, given what you point out about the narrowness there.

That's why I think "death trap" is hyperbole...

kalibraaa wrote:
    I would put a pic on here of what I see every day - if I only knew how :-)

Think you need a certain number of posts on Boards to be able to do that.

• Advertisement

I take it more seriously when the foot traffic is my kids. I will keep pushing for change. Hope you are tuned in Alan Farrell?

kalibraaa wrote:
    Hope you are tuned in Alan Farrell?

And while you're at it, what about the visibility at the T junction at Moyne/Druimnigh Roads?

And the state of the footpath around there, on both roads, is almost unnavigable...

Anyway, off topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I have had my wing mirror clipped by trucks (and by a car) on more than one occasion on Station Road, always while stationary. The road is definitely not wide enough. The poorly trimmed hedges do not help either. You cannot mount the footpath (temporarily) to allow larger vehicles to pass you by as the curb is very large and would ruin the car - and yes I understand you're not meant to mount the foothpath/curb.

This development is going to be a disaster for Portmarnock Village. The proposed Aldi/Lidl traffic on top of the residential development is going to make the village "avoid at all costs".

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

I thought the Lidl/Aldi was refused planning permission??

Buckfast W wrote: »
    I thought the Lidl/Aldi was refused planning permission??

Approved with conditions on the site opposite the off-licence Jus de Vin.

And yep, traffic will be terrible.

I think it was the Sands site where they were denied permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Yeah I saw that the land was sold but I thought the local residents were up in arms because of the traffic chaos that this would cause. That parcel of land is tiny, they couldn't of picked a worse place to put a Lidl.

Is there a link to the planning permission application. I can tell find one on the final website.

Fingal Planning Web Site reference = F15A/0265. Crazy decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Indeed. You would wonder how this got approval. *cough* :mad:
    kalibraaa wrote: »
    Fingal Planning Web Site reference = F15A/0265. Crazy decision.

Advertisement