Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock development?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Hi. The excavation on the Portmarnock to Baldoyle road is work being done on behalf of Fingals Diversity Officer Hans Visser and they are creating roosts for the large no of Brent Geese that visit Portmarnock annually during their annual migration.

Dak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

The proposed development will consist of the construction of a two-storey building including supermarket, two retail units, one café unit, two office units, lobby areas, circulation and services spaces, with a maximum height of c. 11.1m and with a gross floor area measuring c. 2,740 sq.m. The proposed supermarket at first-floor level includes ancillary off-licence sales area, ancillary storage, staff and customer facilities, and two office units with shared staff facilities.

How will all of this fit onto the site, it's not that big, is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

and a car park??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

dak wrote: »
    Hi. The excavation on the Portmarnock to Baldoyle road is work being done on behalf of Fingals Diversity Officer Hans Visser and they are creating roosts for the large no of Brent Geese that visit Portmarnock annually during their annual migration.

Dak

Directly under a flight path seems like a funny place to encourage more large birds.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM HANS VISSER - FINGAL CC BIODIVERSITY OFFICER

The aim of the works at the estuary is to create a new roosting and feeding site for the Geese and other migratory birds. This area was covered in rank grassland and bramble and was not doing much for the migratory birds in the estuary. We want to turn this area into short grassland that will benefit a range of birds during high tide periods in particular. The green opposite the Texaco station is a good site for Geese too, but disturbance by kids and dogs running after the geese is becoming an increasing problem. Don’t get me wrong, I think it is good for the kids to have the interaction with wildlife, but the Geese have to move on wasting badly needed energy. The idea behind the area along the coast road would be that it is fenced off and therefore disturbance should be less of an issue.

A much bigger feeding and roosting site is also being created in the parkland on the other side of the road. This area will also comprise of short grassland and will be grazed with Highland cattle for most of the year. This field will be topped and fertilized in September each year to provide good quality grass for grazing by Geese. The grass was sown in this area earlier this year and Ballymore homes will be installing the fencing over the next couple of weeks. We will be monitoring the area this winter to see how successful this area is in attracting birds such as Brent Geese, Lapwing, Curlew and others.

Dak

• Advertisement

What a disaster for the residents in Portmarnock. The tail backs are horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kalibraaa

Anyone who reads this thread and is concerned about the traffic on Portmarnocks country roads please contact finglals chief road engineer Jim.Cleary at fingal dot ie to get this sorted before someone gets killed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

In one year another 1,000(?) people will be living on Station Road. How many extra cars is that a day?

This hasn't been thought through at all. Ridiculous. I've sent an email. I look forward to the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Property in Portmarnock is way overpriced anyway.

The traffic today on the back road was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

subpar wrote: »
    Property in Portmarnock is way overpriced anyway.

Demand exceeds supply

• Advertisement

Latest update from Fingal County Council meeting held on the 7th April. Can being kicked down the road me thinks?

Councillor B. McDonagh - Road Widening at Station Road Portmarnock. A1027999

"To ask the Chief Executive to take appropriate steps to widen the road at Station Road Portmarnock where it meets Drumnigh Road to prevent vehicles being forced to mount the footpath before the commencement of the work on Portmarnock Bridge?'Image

During the period in which improvement works will be underway on Portmarnock Bridge, temporary traffic signals wili be erected and manned at the Station Road / Drumnigh Road junction. In addition, a specific HGV diversion route has been designed with a view to keeping HGV's away from the Drumnigh Road.

Whereas, it would not be practical to widen Station Road in the coming weeks, the matter will be given consideration in the context of road improvements for 201 7, subject to the availability of necessary funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rach_88

Hello,

Looking to purchase in the new St Marnocks Bay on Station Road. Took a drive out yesterday and noticed the flight path directly above the housing development... Planes every 3 minutes overhead and EXTREMELY loud... Would this bother anyone and do you think this would be a problem? What is everyones thoughts on the area and the neighbouring developments? Thanks R

Hi Rach - Flights can be a pain and with the newly proposed runway it will probably get worse. Id double check for pyrite as well up there. Many new builds on the north side have had this problem and it has not been dealt with properly by the developers who are 100% responsible for the quality of materials they use to build a house.

Ah I didn't know about the new runway. I wonder is it approved, I will have to look into that. 3 bed houses at 435k seems crazy if this will be a problem.. I'm hoping these houses should be ok, Ballymore are very good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

rach_88 wrote: »
    Ah I didn't know about the new runway. I wonder is it approved, I will have to look into that. 3 bed houses at 435k seems crazy if this will be a problem.. I'm hoping these houses should be ok, Ballymore are very good...

It's a 3 bed in Portmarnock, not some run down kip.

Ballymore built Drumnigh Wood in Portmarnock and there are lots of not so happy home owners in there trying to deal with pyrite.

kalibraaa wrote: »
    Ballymore built Drumnigh Wood in Portmarnock and there are lots of not so happy home owners in there trying to deal with pyrite.

Oh I didn't know that! Thanks

I dont want to be scare mongering but if I was buying a new build on the North Side I would look for a lifetime assurance against Pyrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

rach_88 wrote:
    Looking to purchase in the new St Marnocks Bay on Station Road. Took a drive out yesterday and noticed the flight path directly above the housing development... Planes every 3 minutes overhead and EXTREMELY loud... Would this bother anyone and do you think this would be a problem? What is everyones thoughts on the area and the neighbouring developments? Thanks R

I live across the road from that development. Plane noise is not intrusive, almost negligible to my mind. Though people differ in what annoys them. Not an issue for us.

Our place is well insulated and has double glazing, so I'd expect the new builds to have this too, given the location.

You'll get used to the noise of the planes.

I would be far more worried about the inevitable traffic chaos. The flow of traffic through the village is already slow. With the addition of Lidl in the middle of the village and the influx of people to St Marnocks Bay, it will be a complete nightmare. Even outside of the usual peak times, I avoid going through that village at all costs.

• Advertisement

I live across the road from that development. Plane noise is not intrusive, almost negligible to my mind. Though people differ in what annoys them. Not an issue for us.

Our place is well insulated and has double glazing, so I'd expect the new builds to have this too, given the location.

Planes used to land 90% of the time coming in over the dart station and only take off over Portmarnock 10% of the time . That is now a 70/30% split so Portmarnock is noiser than it used to be . I'm a member of Portmarnock Community Association and FORUM . We have an engineer checking out the noise insullation standards that were that are being used in the St Marnocks development planning application as seemingly it is not best practice to build timber based houses under a flight path unless they meet the highest insullation and ventilation standards.

Some people also like to sit out in their back gardens ( if you have one ) on a warm summers day and being directly under a flight path mightn't suit everyone !

Dak

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I dont want to be scare mongering but if I was buying a new build on the North Side I would look for a lifetime assurance against Pyrite.

Pyrite isn't an issue any more as it's checked for in every quarry and it never gets to a development. Previously pyrite ended up in developments (randomly) as unbeknown to users there were some quarries in North and West Dublin that had a seam of pyrite running through them.

@LiamaDelta I am living with Pyrite at the moment and I have seen at first hand how many lives it has destroyed. Developers couldnt give a Sh*t about us. As this is Ireland never say never. I would never trust quarries or developers again. Quarries up here have pyrite and it will happen again that homeowners will suffer.

@LiamaDelta I am living with Pyrite at the moment and I have seen at first hand how many lives it has destroyed. Developers couldnt give a Sh*t about us. As this is Ireland never say never. I would never trust quarries or developers again. Quarries up here have pyrite and it will happen again that homeowners will suffer.

All new-build houses from a decent developer will guarantee against pyrite. The way things are regulated these days there are so many checks in place the likelyhood of it happening again is negligible....unless you buy from a poor builder with a poor architect.

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    All new-build houses from a decent developer will guarantee against pyrite. The way things are regulated these days there are so many checks in place the likelyhood of it happening again is negligible....unless you buy from a poor builder with a poor architect.

:rolleyes: now if only we could find a "decent developer" anywhere. You have a better chance of finding an honest politician ffs. Im sure that the "guarantee against Pyrite" comes in verbal form only.

Well from my experience in the current environment those developers that are beholden to foreign investment funds are actually the most compliant. If there's one thing that investors are spooked by it's non-compliance (and the threat of them making less-massive profits!) and in general from what I can see at the moment there's no expense being spared by the funders in ensuring that their developments comply with applicable laws.
    You're fully right to be sceptical, particularly with your personal experience, but there are not many developers that would have willingly allowed pyrite into their sites if they had known the consequences in the future, especially since it was of no benefit to them...they could just as easily have gotten material without pyrite in it.
    Anyway I'm sure there is a pyrite thread somewhere...back to Portmarnock issues at hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Has anybody seen price details for St. Marnocks Bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 buddy22

There is a website and brochure now available http://www.stmarnocksbay.com/assets/smb_16pg_digital_brochure_fa.pdf

The downstairs layouts would not be to my liking and seem to be a poor use of space.

The 'Poppy' has a long L-shaped kitchen. The 'Sorrel' has a downstairs toilet that is accessed through the kitchen??. The 'Thistle' has a seperate kitchen and dining area.

Looking at the Sorrel, that appears to be the utility room and not the kitchen next to the toilet.
    buddy22 wrote: »
    There is a website and brochure now available http://www.stmarnocksbay.com/assets/smb_16pg_digital_brochure_fa.pdf

The downstairs layouts would not be to my liking and seem to be a poor use of space.

The 'Poppy' has a long L-shaped kitchen. The 'Sorrel' has a downstairs toilet that is accessed through the kitchen??. The 'Thistle' has a seperate kitchen and dining area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

rach_88 wrote: »
    Hello,

We live not far from there in new builds. Never hear any planes. Except when outside. Modern houses should be well sound proofed. But you'll have to wait for a show house to see what the level of soundproofing is.

Advertisement