Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Triathlon TI fees for parents

Options
  • 17-07-2016 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

What is the idea behind this? For a junior to join TI, An adult has to join TI as an adult member just to register the kids as members or even to just for kids to take part in an event with a 1 day license included in an event entry fee. There seems to be no way for kids to take part in TI events without an adult joining too. I know it's only 20 quid extra a year but it just seems like a complete ripoff and contrary to getting kids involved in sport. Why is this required at all and even more so for events with one day licences included which drives the price of entry to a single event through the roof? Should the path into sport not be made as easy and inexpensive as possible for new kids to get a taste and see if they like it or not without extorting parents into paying fees to join a sport they have no interest in besides their kids?

The whole thing seems ridiculous to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

El Caballo wrote: »
    What is the idea behind this? For a junior to join TI, An adult has to join TI as an adult member just to register the kids as members or even to just for kids to take part in an event with a 1 day license included in an event entry fee. There seems to be no way for kids to take part in TI events without an adult joining too. I know it's only 20 quid extra a year but it just seems like a complete ripoff and contrary to getting kids involved in sport. Why is this required at all and even more so for events with one day licences included which drives the price of entry to a single event through the roof? Should the path into sport not be made as easy and inexpensive as possible for new kids to get a taste and see if they like it or not without extorting parents into paying fees to join a sport they have no interest in besides their kids?

The whole thing seems ridiculous to me.

Or you could lose the red mist, and not get so pissed off at things you've got incorrect.

TI is very accommodating to kids participation. I've been to many, and they are great fun and very professionally organised. Something for the kids who are completers, and the kids who are competers. €5 yearly membership (which incudes a €20 Voucher for Cycle Superstore). Parents don't have to become members themselves, they must however register themselves as a site user via the TI website, for free. They can then purchase €5 memberships for their kids. Full details https://www.triathlonireland.com/Image-Document-Library/Documents/Setting-Up-a-Junior-Acccount.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Or you could lose the red mist, and not get so pissed off at things you've got incorrect.

TI is very accommodating to kids participation. I've been to many, and they are great fun and very professionally organised. Something for the kids who are completers, and the kids who are competers. €5 yearly membership (which incudes a €20 Voucher for Cycle Superstore). Parents don't have to become members themselves, they must however register themselves as a site user via the TI website, for free. They can then purchase €5 memberships for their kids. Full details https://www.triathlonireland.com/Image-Document-Library/Documents/Setting-Up-a-Junior-Acccount.pdf

Fair enough, hadn't the red mist but was looking for clarification which is why I posted, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Are you happy now it won't cost you anything other than a measly fiver to let young Tarquin get a taste for triathlon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Are you happy now it won't cost you anything other than a measly fiver to let young Tarquin get a taste for triathlon?

I was questioning the system which is I thought was ridiculous which it was because it was wrong. As I said, it is only 20 quid and I wouldn't have any problem paying that straight up for a junior but thought the adult had to join TI too which I thought was backwards, money isn't the problem but I thought the system was flawed but thanks for the valuable response :rolleyes: Did that post make you happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I think it is only right that a parent or guardian must join on behalf of children and minors.

Interaction is then adult to adult rather than an adult in 'authority' and a child member.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Coincidently I received my CC bill today, and noticed both mine and my son's entry for the National Aquathon Champs- mine was €37.10, his was €6.17. The host club (Olympian Tri Club) dedicated as much professionalism and effort to the kids event as they did the adults, possibly more so given there were several age-group races for the kids.

For the few years my kids have done triathlons, each event has been cheap as chips, very well run, and enjoyed by all. In the context of the opening post, its worth giving credit where its due.

Advertisement