Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal 10k 2016

Options
  • 17-07-2016 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

I'll be doing this race next week and have heard conflicting descriptions of the race profile. I believe there was a change to the course a few years back. Can anyone advise of what to expect? I presume it's pretty flat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'll be doing this race next week and have heard conflicting descriptions of the race profile. I believe there was a change to the course a few years back. Can anyone advise of what to expect? I presume it's pretty flat.

It's flat-ish. The very first year I did it, there was a hideous hill up to a housing estate, and that's gone, but there's definitely still a drag in the last few k. Can't remember exactly where, but coming back in to Swords from the country roads, there's a hill / slope there near the end before you get to the main street. Maybe from 8k on?

It's a nice course though, and i love the finish down the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Great, thanks! It was in the end in particular that I wanted to find out about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I've raced this course twice, and I've run the course a handful of times as I live in Swords and sure why not. At the bottom is the actual race profile, and in between is my impression of the race course.

The start on Main Street is uphill, though it's the start of the race and will be pretty crowded so chances are you won't notice too much. The race map on the website suggests a minor change this year - instead of turning immediately left at the top of the Dublin Road, it suggests that the course goes all the way around the roundabout. It's a pretty big roundabout, so this adds a good bit to the course. My completely uninformed guess is that the start will be further up Main Street to compensate, allowing for more runners this year. It also removes a place that's frequently cut by people who for some reason like to cut the course at races, so this sounds like a good change to me, though I've never run around a roundabout at a race.

The next nearly 3k are basically downhill on the Swords bypass. There'll be plenty of room here, and this is where you can make up any time lost in the slow and busy start. Just before the 4k mark, the course turns into some narrow country roads, which will feel a little warmer but do provide shelter from any wind. There are some minor drags here, nothing too bad. After a couple of kms and turns, the direction turns back to Swords, and the uphill drags are now downhill drags. At about the 8k mark the course gets back into Swords, the roads are wider but starts to be a little bit uphill again - it's not steep, but you'll notice.

A few turns later onto North Street and back off North Street, at the 9k mark is the start of the mountain of Watery Lane. Second to Mount Leinster as the second highest peak in Leinster, this insane almost vertical climb will test all but the sturdiest of mountain goats and IMRA runners. Ok, it's actually around a 40 foot climb over about 750 metres, but it's gonna hurt in the last km of a 10km race. Can you tell I had to stop and walk when I did this two years ago? :) Once the great mountain has been climbed, it's time to relax and enjoy the last 300m, which are nicely downhill and finishing up somewhere in the vicinity of Swords Castle, which is where all the bag-drops and post-race stuff collection happens.

392028.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

^^very useful thanks. Had been looking for some profile details online.
    Have been targeting this race for a sub 40 attempt, a little worried about the crowded start- is the start organised according to predicted finish time? Also are there pacers for this?

sideswipe wrote: »
    ^^very useful thanks. Had been looking for some profile details online.
    Have been targeting this race for a sub 40 attempt, a little worried about the crowded start- is the start organised according to predicted finish time? Also are there pacers for this?

Snap! There are waves, but they're not very well policed/respected. I'm planning on getting into a good position early, last year I left it too late and ended up doing loads of weaving. No pacers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

@singer thank you for the very detailed race overview!! Don't know the area at all and won't have a chance to do a recy before Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Great post @Singer but I feel you missed out a great feature of this race....
    The firemen/civil defense spraying a water hose between 7-8km to cool us down.

I ran this twice and I really enjoy the course.
    Last year though I struggled badly due to poor training on my own behalf.

I think the first 1km is a game of dodging and weaving though so hopefully the new layout will stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

What is the start tine for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

What is the start tine for this?

10 I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Perfect description by Singer!! I've run it every year. The course is great, except for that climb at 9k around by Britsol Myers. The last downhill stretch to the finish line is great and quite enclosed which gives it a real city race feeling with the crowds.

• Advertisement

Great stuff Singer thanks. No walking now this year, you hear?!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Is there anywhere you can still sign up for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Is there anywhere you can still sign up for this?

Entries closed 8th July

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

How does this race compare to the Dunshaughlin 10k is it a harder course?

Race tracker: http://app.rtrt.me/TDL-FINGAL10K-2016/tracker

Looks like there's 3625 people registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

Thanks a mil singer for the description!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

Just realised my race number never arrived for this. Bit odd as I've done Race Series runs several times. In any case, can anyone recall there being any kind of registration desk at the start of these races? I'm wondering if I arrive early with my confirmation e-mail, can they sort me out.

MacAttackJ wrote: »
    Just realised my race number never arrived for this. Bit odd as I've done Race Series runs several times. In any case, can anyone recall there being any kind of registration desk at the start of these races? I'm wondering if I arrive early with my confirmation e-mail, can they sort me out.

There's a desk open from 8.30 (a workmate is in the same situation)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck to all running this - hopefully the weather will be in our favour!

I got a Twirl in my goodie bag! That's a quality chocolate bar, I'm very impressed.
    First time doing this race and found it to be well put together. Well done to all helping out.

• Advertisement

Great race, superbly organised as always. T-shirts are a nice colour but much larger than the 5 mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Haven't done a race series event for a while- there's something about hearing yer man that does the commentary's voice. Just takes me back to doing my first ever road races in the park back in 2009- class act.
    Great event, got the sub 40 monkey off my back finally! 39:39. Found it tough, but I guess if it wasn't I wouldn't be doing it right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Great race, really well organised, great stewards but geez what is with the plastic cups at the water stations?! You can't run with them, you have to practically stop to actually drink from them and even then would say only a fraction of it went in my mouth!

But aside from that - great event!! :D

spaceylou wrote: »
    Great race, really well organised, great stewards but geez what is with the plastic cups at the water stations?! You can't run with them, you have to practically stop to actually drink from them and even then would say only a fraction of it went in my mouth!

Pour the rest over your head to keep cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I've a ton of photos from the race uploading verrrrrry slowly to here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/sets/72157671390726166

It'll probably take the whole day to upload them, so check back later if you can't spot yourself yet!

They're excellent shots Eoin, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

Really enjoyable race. Thanks to
    The young lady from "The West" who chatted to me and kept me going around the 5-6k mark. Was struggling to keep going at the time. Lost her at the last water station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I know I always say this, but I think bottles are so, so dangerous in a crowded race. Cups are annoying but it's much harder to break your ankle stepping on a cup!
    Great race today, disappointed in my time (27 secs slower than PB) but that's what I get for being off sick for a week or so!

Love the little waist bag we got at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

eoinín wrote: »
    I've a ton of photos from the race uploading verrrrrry slowly to here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/sets/72157671390726166

It'll probably take the whole day to upload them, so check back later if you can't spot yourself yet!

Heh, I say you (or someone with a camera) up on the bridge. Wish I'd done finger pistols or something now. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Agree with you - plastic cups are awful... Paper cups are much better... As you can pinch them into something much more easy to drink from. Very little water needed on a 10k though to be fair - either way absolutely no need for bottles. Agree with HelenAnne - they can be a nuisance.

Advertisement