Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using up sugary cereal

Options
  • 17-07-2016 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

In an online shop f-up I fell for Rice Krispie Multigrain thinking they would be reasonably healthy and tasty for kids.

Holy mother of sugarbeet they are just crazy sweet. Neither of my kids will eat them for brekkie after a taste (used to egg and soldiers or porridge, so just generally more savoury leaning in the morning).

So, what can I do with these sweet sweet sugary abominations?

What can I chuck it into in smallish portions? I was thinking a melted"chocolate flavour cake coating" on them, give it a stir and stick in paper case a lá rice crispie buns, but that's just sugar on sugar on sugar and I think it may be making it even worse.

any ideas? I reckon it's dessert material.. They have crunch and sweetness.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

rice crispie buns (dark choc if you want to lower the sweetness). Sprinkle on icecream. Give to a neighbour/friend/leave in the tearoom in work. Accept the loss and compost em. Use in chocolate biscuit cake for added crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Definitely don't use that chocolate flavour stuff, awful rubbish. At the very least use some good dark chocolate, it will counteract the sweetness. I'd add in other cereal too to dilute it like bran flakes or museli if you have it, I like a few nuts too.

Or alternatively just throw it away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Throw them away. Chalk it up as a loss. Most cereal products are hyper processed and contain lots of sugars. I'd steer clear completely from cereals for both kids and adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I am not chucking them away... Waste is just compounding it. I can't take the double whammy. If i have to get them in a single gram at a time these babies will be used up. I have sugar and carbs in cakes, biscuits etc, most of my baking, so these can go somewhere. Just need to find the right spot.

Right, dark choc on them is a great idea. Bitter with sweet, love it! Whole box, so need more.

They would be good on icecream too, awesome.

Choc biscuit cake, maybe... Bit sweet on sweet again though?

I was trying to come up with a base... Like lemon tart base... Crush and put with butter like cheesecake base? Or will they disintegrate i wonder.

Or some kind of biscuit. Maybe if i google cheerio recipies for the US. They are quite similar.

Any kind of topping for something? Fruit tart? In crumble maybe...hmmmmm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, if you're not prepared to make Rice Krispie treats or similar (see Mars Bar Treats recipe in the cooking club for a fab recipe), then just throw them out. I doubt there's any way to make them particularly 'savoury'.

Edit: sorry, I think I misunderstood. But I think sugar-on-sugar is the most likely way to use them up in a tasty way. They wouldn't have the structure to become a base. Cheerios are also a lot more robust than Rice Krispies.

• Advertisement

simdan wrote: »
    Throw them away. Chalk it up as a loss. Most cereal products are hyper processed and contain lots of sugars. I'd steer clear completely from cereals for both kids and adults.

Yeah, first time ever getting them, and the eldest is 5, so I think we're ok.

Just hate waste. I've a chicken carcass simmering for soup/stock. I'm not dumping a whole box of sugar when it can be repurposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The birdies need feeding too...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Look on pinterest under cheerios. I saw a recipe for a Graham cracker type pie crust using cheerios and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

I don't really understand your aversion to using them up in a dessert / treat? (quick edit, as sugar on sugar)

If you're opting to have a rice krispie bun or a chocolate biscuit cake then sugar is the last thing you're going to be thinking about.

Almost all cereals and most muslis are LACED in sugar and are ridiculously processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

phormium wrote: »
    I'd add in other cereal too to dilute it like bran flakes or museli if you have it, I like a few nuts too.
    I do this, but with porridge oats as most muselis are already high in sugar.

• Advertisement

I don't really understand your aversion to using them up in a dessert / treat? (quick edit, as sugar on sugar)

If you're opting to have a rice krispie bun or a chocolate biscuit cake then sugar is the last thing you're going to be thinking about.

Almost all cereals and most muslis are LACED in sugar and are ridiculously processed.

No aversion at all, just I prefer desserts like a lemon or apple tart, or nutty things rather than things on the sweeter side like a chocolate biscuit cake. Dessert is what I'm thinking alright with these though.

Good ideas in here on looking up what people do with cheerios, looks like that was the key!

I found these..
    Cheerio muffins
    http://smashedpeasandcarrots.com/cheerios-muffins-its-whats-for-breakfast/

And here as a cheesecake base
    http://thedailyfork.blogspot.ie/2012/02/dulce-de-leche-cheesecake.html

Biscuit recipe
    http://lovelylittlekitchen.com/healthy-breakfast-cookies/

Lemon Squares
    http://www.cheerios.com/recipes/lemon-squares-with-cheerios/b9981519-7da7-40c0-b048-311da7e7e2fa?pp=1

Again, cheerios have a totally different structure than rice krispies. They're much more robust, so I'd be very wary of just swapping one for the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I think yon Multigrain rice krispies are a different kettle of fish, more of a cheerios type affair

prod_img-1619380_rk_mg_shapes_340g_3d_eng.png

D'oh, I guess the clue was in the word "multigrain" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sprinkle them on the kids porridge

Advertisement