Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power supply to shed.

Options
  • 17-07-2016 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Need to run a power supply to a shed 150m from house to run a few sockets and lights. I'm going to get an electrician to install but just wondering what kind of costs issues could I incur.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Need to run a power supply to a shed 150m from house to run a few sockets and lights. I'm going to get an electrician to install but just wondering what kind of costs issues could I incur.

Due to the length of run it won't be cheap.

The first question is what size load? This can be determined if you describe the quantities and types of electrical appliances that you want to connect to the supply. A larger load requires a more expensive cable.

I imagine that you intend on burying the cable to the shed. Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Im going 70m and its going to be about €350 for 16mm 3 core, so triple that and then add a machine for a day to dig a 2-3 foot deep trench!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

JoeySully wrote: »
    Im going 70m and its going to be about €350 for 16mm 3 core, so triple that and then add a machine for a day to dig a 2-3 foot deep trench!

You can't simply triple the cost of the cable without knowing the size of the load!

It is not possible to know if a 16 sq. SWA is the correct size cable without knowing the size of the load. The cable size will have a major impact on the price with a run that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

2011 wrote: »
    You can't simply triple the cost of the cable without knowing the size of the load!

It is not possible to know if a 16 sq. SWA is the correct size cable without knowing the size of the load. The cable size will have a major impact on the price with a run that long.

No but you can multiply it by 3 helping the OP to see what the cost is likely to be be. Ill keep my beak out of here so. Only electricians need reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

No but you can multiply it by 3 helping the OP to see what the cost is likely to be be. Ill keep my beak out of here so. Only electricians need reply.

Apart from not being right as 2011 has pointed, am curious as to why 3 times: you did 70, he is doing 150...

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

No but you can multiply it by 3 helping the OP to see what the cost is likely to be be.

I respectfully disagree for the reasons I gave in my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SLselfbuild

Thanks for the replys lads all appreciated. My issue that i was trying to solve is the esb no longer giving temporary supply for new builds. What I was planning was to was run a cable from an existing dwelling to a shed I'm building beside my new house.
    It will be a store / canteen just for my own use. Probably 4 or 5 lights / security lights. A few sockets for charging battery tools, phone and laser level. I have a gas hob for boiling water ( have to have tea) if electric kettle was to much of a load.
    Presume builders tools would be too much I'd just let them use generator.
    Cable will be buried in ducting.
    Won't do all this if it's too costly.

Thanks for the replys lads all appreciated. My issue that i was trying to solve is the esb no longer giving temporary supply for new builds. What I was planning was to was run a cable from an existing dwelling to a shed I'm building beside my new house.
    It will be a store / canteen just for my own use. Probably 4 or 5 lights / security lights. A few sockets for charging battery tools, phone and laser level. I have a gas hob for boiling water ( have to have tea) if electric kettle was to much of a load.
    Presume builders tools would be too much I'd just let them use generator.
    Cable will be buried in ducting.
    Won't do all this if it's too costly.

Ok, that makes sense. My advice would be to buy a small generator. This would be more cost effective and handy to have in the future.

In terms of security, (back in the day) I fed an alarm for a house from a car battery as there was no electrical connection available for a protracted period. A battery that size will power an alarm for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SLselfbuild

Ok, that makes sense. My advice would be to buy a small generator. This would be more cost effective and handy to have in the future.

In terms of security, (back in the day) I fed an alarm for a house from a car battery as there was no electrical connection available for a protracted period. A battery that size will power an alarm for quite some time.

Good idea about the car battery or simular. I have a small generator I could use but was thinking I was told somewhere it wasn't good for batteries to charge on a generator mabey I'm imagining it. If I did do what I was thinking I could leave the cable.and duct in permenant and use it for the eventual supply to the shed and electric gate.

I have a small generator I could use but was thinking I was told somewhere it wasn't good for batteries to charge on a generator mabey I'm imagining it.

Small generators may have poor voltage regulation which would not be ideal.
    The batteries could be charged elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

very easy to get a cheap solar panel to charge this too.

Stoner wrote: »
    very easy to get a cheap solar panel to charge this too.

Yeah, but if you have a security concern about a shed do you really want to put an expensive solar panel on the outside of it?:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Johnd2016

Cable should cost you approx 6 euros per metre for swa cable, fuse board for the shed and alterations to you'd existing board in house should be around 100-200 euro depending on how much stuff you want to run.

Labour will be around 40 per hour and it's prob a days work for a sparks.

No need to bury swa cable deep as it has built in protection. If you could run it beside a garden fence it would be best.

Standard lights and sockets you could allow average 10 euro per point.

So you'd prob be looking at around 1400 to 2 grand give or take!!

Advertisement