Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the name of the forum be changed to "Football"...

• 18-07-2016 12:05am

...yes, it may more properly belong in a Feedback forum, but just would like to canvass the views of posters here first.

I appreciate that football encompasses other sports, but on Boards.ie they are already defined as American Football, GAA etc.

I'm sure it's been said before, but "soccer" seems like a bit of an Americanisation. If it's felt that some distinguishing name is needed, I'd go for Association Football over Soccer myself...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It ain't broke, it don't need fixing, that's how I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think your being pedantic, I don't think anyone really cares enough and there would be potential confusion especially with the soccer coaching and soccer ticket threads if they were to be changed so leave it as is.

I don't like calling it soccer but it doesn't bother me on here as I know it's to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I'm sure it's been said before, but "soccer" seems like a bit of an Americanisation.

It isn't.

It has been called Soccer ever since Football and Rugby were codified as two distinct games.

Soc-cer (Association Football)

Rug-ger (Rugby Football)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rte, irish indo, irish times (which is all I bothered to check) also use soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Fifa uefa no s's to be seen..... footy and GAA man myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's always been called soccer since I was a kid back in the '70's.

In England soccer is football. People are listening to British commentators, listening to coaches talking about their teams and listening to pundits talking about the game and most of them call it football. I can understand why so many call it football these days due to the tv coverage from the UK but for me it's only confusing the issue as we have Gaelic football in this country. In the USA football is American football, in Australia footy is the short for football which is Aussie rules as we know it here.

In this country if something is to be called football it should be Gaelic football and I don't even follow the sport but it makes more sense than calling this forum football imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I die a little bit inside each time I say soccer, but every man fights his own battle.

Keeping the forum name as it is will just avoid the long and ultimately pointless semantics battle, when we all know very well why the forum is called what it is called.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

shur the other lads hardly use their feet at all, with all the hopping and hand passing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Would rebranding change the image of the soccer forum?

Eir anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Have only ever called it Football myself but would imagine changing it would cause confusion..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think using the term soccer is an Americanisation.

But I do think complaining about the term soccer is a form of Anglicisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

...yes, it may more properly belong in a Feedback forum, but just would like to canvass the views of posters here first.

I appreciate that football encompasses other sports, but on Boards.ie they are already defined as American Football, GAA etc.

I'm sure it's been said before, but "soccer" seems like a bit of an Americanisation. If it's felt that some distinguishing name is needed, I'd go for Association Football over Soccer myself...

It is not an Americanisation.

Soccer was used by the media in the late 19th century in the UK to differentiate between the various codes of football.

It comes from the official name for the game Assocation Football.

I don't think using the term soccer is an Americanisation.

But I do think complaining about the term soccer is a form of Anglicisation.

Don't know one LofI fan who says they're going to watch soccer.

Never see it on the Cork City forums anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think this line from an article about GAA in the New Statesman sums it up perfectly
    *For the purposes of this piece, “football” is Gaelic football and “soccer” is the international sport. People in Ireland use “football”, “soccer” and “Gaelic” interchangeably depending on the context and it’s generally clear which one they’re talking about. Few get animated by the asinine “it’s football, not soccer” debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

So?

Are you denying the indisputable fact that the term "soccer" is not an Americanisation?

The term was invented in the UK.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

This has been brought up countless times before, and it generally boils down to "it doesn't really matter".

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

YES YES YES

While it's not an Americanism it is an archaic term in the home of the game and only of use for alliterative purposes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Soccerball anyone?

So?

Are you denying the indisputable fact that the term "soccer" is not an Americanisation?

Its use was very much an Americanisation. Particularly in the 70s and 80s.

But yes, I appreciate that the English language comes from England.

And you are right, there is an element of "so". But we are on a football forum. No topic is exactly profound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I use the word football, soccer is a word that grates my ears to hear. I associate it with Americans, Aussies and GAA heads. In my experience, it's always been a word used by people who aren't that interested in the sport (see above).

That said, it is a word commonly used to describe the game, especially here, whether I like it or not. In fairness, the GAA forum is called GAA, the American football forum is called American Football and the Aussie Rules one too. The rugby forum is called Rugby. All the various forms of football use a variant of the name to describe the forum, as does this one.

Also, we all know what "soccer" refers to, "football" can be a lot more ambiguous. I don't see a problem with the forum being called Soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's Football for me, that's what the game is called. The "F" in the name of every Football board across the globe stands for Football. Leave "soccer" for the yanks.

Also Football (Cuju) predates all of those other sports nicking the "football" title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I hardly use the term myself, and usually say Football, but only yesterday I found the term useful.

I was at an event where parking was provided on some playing fields, and when someone asked me where in the field I was parked I said "down beside the second set of Soccer goalposts" - they knew immediately what I meant, as there were also GAA posts in the vicinity.

I also use the term when talking to country folk, lest they get the impression I wish to speak about gah and "the gooch" or some such nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nope soccer is fine with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The standard of debates has really dropped lately. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'd settle for people stopping spelling defence the yank way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Always called it football, and cringe when anyone in work (Prodom Rugby and GAA) says Soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

If it's so 'murcan' then why have we got Soccer AM and Soccer Saturday etc etc ....

If it's so 'murcan' then why have we got Soccer AM and Soccer Saturday etc etc ....

I don't think anyone who watches Soccer AM will be wrestling with etymology...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

With the new games do you think they'll call it Friday Night Football or Friday Night Soccer? Or will they just go with Friday Night Lights and then we can all turn out the lights and swear allegiance to the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Never see it on the Cork City forums anyway.

Yeah and other sports call themselves football too. This is just looking for attention.

vicwatson wrote: »
    It's Football for me, that's what the game is called. The "F" in the name of every Football board across the globe stands for Football. Leave "soccer" for the yanks.

Also Football (Cuju) predates all of those other sports nicking the "football" title.

Right, so we rename the forum to cuju?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You can tell it's the offseason in the main leagues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Right, so we rename the forum to cuju?

Fugu! Fugu me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

mansize wrote: »
    Fugu! Fugu me!

My skilled hands are busy right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Soccerball anyone?

Heard an American saying this in Killarney recently, for some reason it made me cringe a bit

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

But yes, I appreciate that the English language comes from England.

Yes, but the term soccer was invented by British people long after the independence of the US. It has nothing to do with where the language originated, what's important is that the word itself originated in Britain and is not an Americanisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

3 pages.

Let that sink in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Corholio wrote: »
    3 pages.

Let that sink in.

1 page if you do boards correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

The only time I ever use the word soccer was in reference to this forum on this site.
    My cousin from the sticks used to always ask did I want a game of soccer out in the field. It just sounds weird. The more I read it here in this thread the weirder it gets, to the point where you start questioning if it's even a word.

At the start of this post I didn't really care but now? Change it ta f*ck. Sounds stupid.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Should be changed to "United vs. Liverpool". Perhaps every few months, it could be changed to "Liverpool vs. United" in the interests of fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Doesnt bother me calling association football , soccer
    If soccer people can call gaelic football and hurling GAA we should just call soccer FIFA or Uefa .

Yeah and other sports call themselves football too. This is just looking for attention.

LofI fans looking for attention?

Hardly.

I presume you don't see "soccer" that often on British football forums either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The tide is changing by the way. When today's young kids get to our age it will only be referred to as soccer. I call it football and today I had a child at a camp correct me that it is soccer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The only time I ever use the word soccer was in reference to this forum on this site.
    My cousin from the sticks used to always ask did I want a game of soccer out in the field. It just sounds weird. The more I read it here in this thread the weirder it gets, to the point where you start questioning if it's even a word.

At the start of this post I didn't really care but now? Change it ta f*ck. Sounds stupid.

Bollix to that.
    There are , to name a few , - Gaelic football , American football , Austrailian football , Rugby ( league and union. ) football and Association football .
    Why do you think that your particular preference of football should be so superior to the others as to merit being called Football and all the others given an identifying name.
    The game of Association football was started and spread from England so if you want , call it English football to differentiate from the others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It's just not true at all

The word soccer appeared regularly in media reports from the very start

It features in the BBC Radio Times programme listings from 1924 onwards, nobody got excited.

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?order=asc&q=soccer#search

The use of the word 'soccer' only reduced from the 1980s onwards

You could argue that it's an archaic term, but it's certainly not an american one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

I realise there lots of different nationalitys here but I as an Irishman never heard anyone call soccer "football"

LofI fans looking for attention?

Hardly.

I presume you don't see "soccer" that often on British football forums either.

I was talking about the thread...

I was talking about the thread...

A thread is "attention seeking"?

Strange. That may be your reason for threads, but I think it would be odd to seek attention on an anonymous forum.

Either way, is that your 3rd or 4th post? Got your attention anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

cjmc wrote: »
    Bollix to that.
    There are , to name a few , - Gaelic football , American football , Austrailian football , Rugby ( league and union. ) football and Association football .
    Why do you think that your particular preference of football should be so superior to the others as to merit being called Football and all the others given an identifying name.
    The game of Association football was started and spread from England so if you want , call it English football to differentiate from the others

There's only 2 of those that would be called football in this country and the other forum is called GAA already. I would understand if that one got the preference but if it's not then this one should be called football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Couldnt care what you call it on this but I just can't stand people that like to correct others when they say ''no it's ''soccer'' or ''football''

I know it as Football but who cares what its called

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement